Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"Torre"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tim carroll

Feb 15, 2009
I have been following your work since you started posting on the Bench and have always been impressed by your work. For a long time now, I've thought that your work would be displayed in galleries or that you would find a niche making commissioned pieces for athletes like Opie Otterstad does. I'm glad to hear that you are on the cusp of this. I understand the leap of faith that it will take to leave the security of a full time job, but I am confident that you will succeed with your art. The best thing about teaching will be that you can always return to it if things didn't work out as an artist.
Thank you.....my wife is super supportive (and she's also a college professor), so my risk isn't quite so devastating if it failed. Like you said.....I teach, therefore I could always go back to the profession if I saw the art wasn't a stand-alone career. Fingers crossed - I hope some more doors are opened at the National.

I think I may end up having regrets in not taking you up on commissioning a piece when you first started showing these to us! I won't be at the National unfortunately, but I enjoy viewing the pieces when you share them.

No need for regret! I still take commissions.;)

Nice work, my favorite to date! Your pieces keep getting better and better. Hope it leads to many more referrals for you.

Thank you!

When are you going to open your museum?? I'll be the first in line!

Awesome job as always, Tim. Your work is truly 'one of a kind'. To have MLB actually contact you about doing this one for them is amazing in itself...you must be getting well known. :)

I appreciate the kind words....a gallery would be nice (I have turned down several due to the high commission rates).....and as a matter of fact - I do have my Stan Musial piece at Gallery 1200 in Hoboken for the Baseball Art All-Stars show (beginning August 2).

Crazy! I just saw the new pics, awesome! I don't know if you do it, but I'd love to see some pics of the process, like, how you start out, and some pics of during, and then the finished product. I might be the only one, but I think that'd be really interesting to see.... Unless you don't want to give away any trade secrets, haha

No worry about giving away secrets - it really is as simple as: Draw a picture. Cut some cards. Glue the cards in places that look the best. I'll add some photos later of the work in progress.;)

Tim

tim carroll

Feb 15, 2009
Crazy! I just saw the new pics, awesome! I don't know if you do it, but I'd love to see some pics of the process, like, how you start out, and some pics of during, and then the finished product. I might be the only one, but I think that'd be really interesting to see.... Unless you don't want to give away any trade secrets, haha

Here you go......

Started with a sketch of what I wanted to do (I had about 3 or 4 different ones - I chose this one).

image_zpsd7c6efa4.jpg

Then I put my idea on a board and started laying the pieces (I worked on the background first due to all of the text/script).

2f444983-cb72-4a10-a796-aedc6712b28e_zpsd91f59b8.jpg

image_zps041100fe.jpg

Although I wasn't finished with the highlights on some of the background, I went forward with the face:

image_zps9a459851.jpg

image_zps9bb30e48.jpg

image_zpsb9721485.jpg

And I basically forgot to take any more photos until I was finished.......

TorreFinal_zps41d52a57.jpg

Tim

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Love the little details like picking Yankees out of the 90 Donruss for the red. Just awesome

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Good god man.......you have arrived first Upper Deck and now MLB.........niccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Just stay away from Topps and you be all good. :lol:

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Here you go......

Started with a sketch of what I wanted to do (I had about 3 or 4 different ones - I chose this one).

image_zpsd7c6efa4.jpg

Then I put my idea on a board and started laying the pieces (I worked on the background first due to all of the text/script).

2f444983-cb72-4a10-a796-aedc6712b28e_zpsd91f59b8.jpg

image_zps041100fe.jpg

Although I wasn't finished with the highlights on some of the background, I went forward with the face:

image_zps9a459851.jpg

image_zps9bb30e48.jpg

image_zpsb9721485.jpg

And I basically forgot to take any more photos until I was finished.......

TorreFinal_zps41d52a57.jpg

Tim

Wow, it is as cool as I had hoped!

Last edited:

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
The finished piece is fantastic but the sketch itself is great as well!

Hope you land a cool MLB deal and hopefully the NFL, NHL & NBA will notice how great your work is.

Fordman

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Even more impressed after seeing photos of the process. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing more masterpieces in the future.
DANNY

Members online