Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The "HOLY CRAP!" end-price thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I thought the majority of it never made it overseas.

I've never heard anything about them not being sent overseas, so I'm just assuming the majority went to their intended destination. I could be wrong. It looks like the PR of the Desert Shield were around 6300 of each card, so insanely limited compared to the base.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
There was also a BIN a few days after at $5500. On the $5000 auction , the "winner" has a 4 feedback and the under bidder was the 3rd place bidder in the $7500 one. The 2nd place bidder in the $7500 , who bid $7526 , didn't bid in the $5000 one and has a 52% bid activity with the $7500 seller. Only one retraction though. So the fact they bid in the $7500 one is the reason for the difference. Take that bidder out an they finish about the same.

Ryan

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
There's a difference between 8x the difference in an auction and BIN when another one isn't available on eBay. That's explainable.

But a 50% variation in the same exact card, at auction, ending hours apart, boggles my mind. I have some other collectible hobbies and prices are much more consistent... if something is worth $500 then it probably sells between $450-$550 regularly. The card volatility is simply a whole different level though.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
There's a difference between 8x the difference in an auction and BIN when another one isn't available on eBay. That's explainable.

But a 50% variation in the same exact card, at auction, ending hours apart, boggles my mind. I have some other collectible hobbies and prices are much more consistent... if something is worth $500 then it probably sells between $450-$550 regularly. The card manipulation is simply a whole different level though.

Fixed.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

But a 50% variation in the same exact card, at auction, ending hours apart, boggles my mind. I have some other collectible hobbies and prices are much more consistent... if something is worth $500 then it probably sells between $450-$550 regularly. The card volatility is simply a whole different level though.

I get that difference you mention. However, I posted it because it still is weird that the difference in the 2 closest sales was 8xs apart. I'd expect that gap to be maybe 2xs. I'm more surprised at the $16 sale , not the $129. That auction went extremely low even for a common, esp when you see the $129 sale a lil later one. Basically the point was to show the gap , people speak about cash value. Lots of people tell others to run things at .99 auction and let it fly. Well that brought $16. A BIN brought $129. What's the cash value ? It was just interesting to see the % difference.

Ryan

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I get that difference you mention. However, I posted it because it still is weird that the difference in the 2 closest sales was 8xs apart. I'd expect that gap to be maybe 2xs. I'm more surprised at the $16 sale , not the $129. That auction went extremely low even for a common, esp when you see the $129 sale a lil later one. Basically the point was to show the gap , people speak about cash value. Lots of people tell others to run things at .99 auction and let it fly. Well that brought $16. A BIN brought $129. What's the cash value ? It was just interesting to see the % difference.

Ryan

There's an insane collector going for all the Red Crusades numbered 1/25. He's offered me a very tempting number for my Grace 1/25 red. I'm probably nuts for refusing it.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There was a thread a couple months ago about someone going on a tear with Thome cards, and he appears to be back at it. Thome was never a real hobby star, but maybe the time has come for a price adjustment on a "clean" 500 clubber. Most of these prices are BINs, so there might be some question as to legitimacy or if it's 1 buyer or a small army. But I don't see them being relisted so probably legit sales. The auctions are being won by several different bidders, or at least different IDs. Strong pricing on the more obscure inserts from lower tier brands, but even stronger on the big cards from top tier brands that are known player and set-builder favorites.

That 2001 Leaf Certified #/25 stands out, obviously. It was bought in late January for $26. The buyer listed it 2 weeks later for $1250 and it got bought?

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
There's an insane collector going for all the Red Crusades numbered 1/25. He's offered me a very tempting number for my Grace 1/25 red. I'm probably nuts for refusing it.

Ah , a card collector insane , that can't be right ;) Hmm maybe you can land another one and move the 1/25 at some point still ?

Ryan

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Record or not , it's crazy

Ryan

Not crazy, its stupid. For the same new people whom joint the hobby because of hype these same people exit and never come back! They realize in a year that their items value has plummeted. Anyone with knowledge of the Hobby is not buying these items, its newbies thinking its gonna be worth more later on.
This type of thing IMO is killing our hobby not helping.

The Collector

Feb 11, 2014
California
Not crazy, its stupid. For the same new people whom joint the hobby because of hype these same people exit and never come back! They realize in a year that their items value has plummeted. Anyone with knowledge of the Hobby is not buying these items, its newbies thinking its gonna be worth more later on.

I remember pulling and selling a Strasburg RC auto for some ridiculous amount, I think I can buy it now for like $40-$50. Just blows my mind sometimes.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

Stupid was the word I had typed out and edited it to crazy , so yeah I agree ;)

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts