Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[Featured Thread] 1991 Topps: The $100 Card, Glowing Backs & More

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I was recently made aware of the 1990 Donruss Wedge variation and now I have to go through my 2444 1990 Donruss Andre Dawson cards to check for it and of course I want it in the INC and INC. variations

ooOOooohhh...what is the wedge variation? Do tell!

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I am looking through my Dawsons and it appears that this is just a new name to an old variation. It looks like all of my variation fronts (dot pattern varitaion) have the wedge on front and none of my regular variations have the wedge on front.

MatthewN

Sep 30, 2015
Coralville, IA
Did Topps ever explain, or does anyone have any theories, as to how some of the 1991 Topps Baseball product ended up with 1990 Topps Football backs? It seems like one of the more ridiculous printing errors with the mixing of two sports.

Picked up the Puckett on COMC today for half of what it had sold for on eBay in recent months, then the same seller listed another of the Puckett on COMC for considerably more this afternoon, so I was pleased about that good fortune.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think the way cards used to be done, they did the fronts first, then the backs. They would print out a stack of sheets as much as 4 feet high, then run them through another printer for the other side. Topps kept their set in print for months, when they only had one, so it would be available all year. It's possible that they had a pallet of sheet sitting in the printshop when it was time to get football cranked up in August. Someone accidentally ran some baseball sheets through the printer set for football.

I think glows are variations, as much as the 'bold logos' are, at least. I opened most of the box I got after I found my blacklight, and through 27 packs it looked like a 50/50 split between glows and non-glows. I haven't finished yet, and I'll look for variations in general appearance. I'm also curious what other sets might look like this. I'll just turn my light on my monster boxes in the closet full of random stuff and see what sparks.

Also, for the record, 25-year-old Topps gum is gross. It has about 3 seconds of flavor, still, but turns to a mess in your mouth that is somehow dusty and squishy at the same time. Whatever makes it 'gummy' is gone.

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
In 1991 Topps celebrated 40th anniversary in the business of baseball trading cards with a sweepstakes and instant win game where 300,000 old Topps cards were randomly inserted into packs.

According to an newspaper interview with Topps spokesman Dennis Liss, buy-back cards with a value of less than $50 were inserted into packs, while cards worth more than $50 and issued before 1957 would be redemptions.

Based on data from collectors who opened large quantities of 1991 Topps packs, the buy-backs and redemption coupons were seeded into packs at the "case hit" level. Topps advertised that they spent $1 million on prior-year cards for this promotion.

The contest consisted of:

One contest card was seeded in every pack. Collectors could fill out the card with their name and address for a chance to win one of 41 different prizes.

The first-place prize was every Topps complete set from 1952 to 1991. The forty second-place prizes was one Topps complete set from a random year.

Contest cards, which were seeded at one in every 1000 packs, contained an X were "instant winners" and could be redeemed for a vintage buy-back card.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

My brother in law pulled a 1970 common out of a '91 box last week. Thought of this thread. Hilarious. Lucky and yet not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Did Topps ever explain, or does anyone have any theories, as to how some of the 1991 Topps Baseball product ended up with 1990 Topps Football backs? It seems like one of the more ridiculous printing errors with the mixing of two sports.

Picked up the Puckett on COMC today for half of what it had sold for on eBay in recent months, then the same seller listed another of the Puckett on COMC for considerably more this afternoon, so I was pleased about that good fortune.

I have an Andre Dawson like this except it is a Fleer product with a Dawson front and a football front on the back, I believe it is 1991.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I have 91 Topps Rickey AS front with Rodney Holman (Bengals) back and 91 Fleer Rickey back with Eric Metcalf (Browns) front. I think the Fleer is 91 but topps looks like 90 back? Haven't looked at it for awhile so it might be 91 Football back too? If anyone needs to know I can dig it out.

Jan 14, 2009
New addition to the massive, ever expanding 1991 Topps family:

1991 Topps reprint front game inserts. Unknown quantity of the one-per-pack 1991 contest/game cards feature reprints of the iconic Topps issues (50's, 60's and 70's stars) instead of the contest rules/prize info on front, backs are identical to pack issued versions. Possible test issue for the $60 BV and up redemption cards issued in packs. Have never seen an actual redemption so may be those too. Virtually zero information out there on them at this point.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Man this is the truth. I recently ingested a piece of Topps gum from long ago, 1989 I think. Massively disgusting. I was correct in my theory that it was pretty much inert and wouldn't make me deathly ill, but the list of positives ends there. It was absolutely gross. Of course the gum cracked when I bit into it, but immediately thereafter it turned into a nasty pile of goo on my tongue. "Dusty and squishy" is an excellent and vivid description, but mine was almost more chunky and oozing rather than squishy. In a few seconds it just disintgrated into a horrible mess, and god help me, I swallowed it. This is far from the worst ordeal of my life, but this little 10-seconds of agony, with my childhood memories being violated in the process, was pretty awful. But if this testimony can help anyone on FCB from repeating my mistake, it was worth it.

Also, for the record, 25-year-old Topps gum is gross. It has about 3 seconds of flavor, still, but turns to a mess in your mouth that is somehow dusty and squishy at the same time. Whatever makes it 'gummy' is gone.

Members online

Latest posts