Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Alright... Let's compare NBA eras... 80's/90's vs Now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Durant is likely going to lead the league in scoring for 4 straight years before the age of 25. Twenty freakin' five! At 6'10". On the perimeter.
I am not disagreeing with you! In post #8 above I put Durant in the HOF catagory... He'd dominate any era!!

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
I grew up watching the 80s stuff so I'm impartial to it. I'd say though that the league wasn't as watered down then and I'd say the same for baseball from then to now. There's no denying that there are players in the league now that would not have been in the league when there were fewer teams.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
of the major sports, i think basketball is the one that suffers the most from the massive increase in size of the athletes that play it.

on any given night Durant can chip his teeth on the rim and/or tap the TOP of the backboard. Guys are too big now. its simply too much to ask to change the dimensions of court/height of the rim

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
As long as we are going "old school" (although I do not think of the 1980's as "old school"), might I kindly redirect the discussion for a moment to the ABA? Terry Pluto wrote a great book a few years ago called "Loose Balls". I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the league that invented the 3 point shot and the slam dunk contest.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I honestly think the level of talent is equal, if not greater today than in the 1980's. However I much prefer the game then as opposed to today. It may just be a placebo effect but it seemed like there were much more individual and team rivalries back then, and generally 'fun to watch' personalities. Today it's seemingly all about 'hard core' personalities where everyone wants to look tough and it just comes off so condescending I have a hard time watching certain players because of it. God forbid you crack a smile or have fun with the game.... This is why players like Isiah, Jordan, Magic, ect... will forever be considered the greatest of all time. Not only were they great but they also were not afraid to have fun, and make it fun for the fans. This is also why I prefer Kobe over most others, he seems to really enjoy his time on the floor and his up beat personality engages the fans.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I honestly think the level of talent is equal, if not greater today than in the 1980's. However I much prefer the game then as opposed to today. It may just be a placebo effect but it seemed like there were much more individual and team rivalries back then, and generally 'fun to watch' personalities. Today it's seemingly all about 'hard core' personalities where everyone wants to look tough and it just comes off so condescending I have a hard time watching certain players because of it. God forbid you crack a smile or have fun with the game.... This is why players like Isiah, Jordan, Magic, ect... will forever be considered the greatest of all time. Not only were they great but they also were not afraid to have fun, and make it fun for the fans. This is also why I prefer Kobe over most others, he seems to really enjoy his time on the floor and his up beat personality engages the fans.

And the world has just changed I guess.

Could you imagine if Lebron shot a free throw with his eyes shut?

Or if Kobe pulled a Reggie and grabbed his troat in a choking motion toward a fan?

Ron Artest would be the current player who would have fit in best back in the 80's. Could you imagine him balling on the Bad Boys?

Orangejello727

Jul 7, 2010
In my opinion is pretty tough to compare. Every era had its pros and cons. Comparing era is almost like having to match up the pros and con more than comparing them.

For example. 80/90s players played much more rough and tough. They were also slow. The game was very gritty. Present players are the festest the talent has ever been. Stamina and enduance are much better than 80/90s.

So while 80s guys would beat up on present players, the question would then be, would they be able to keep up with the present guys to lay that toughness on?

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Current players are 100% better ATHLETES, but not better BASKETBALL PLAYERS.

Players today aren't even allowed to actually play the damn game correctly.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts