Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Phil Hughes looses $500k by one out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Hughes pitched eight innings Wednesday in the Minnesota Twins' 2-1 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks, a game that was delayed 66 minutes due to rain.

Brad Rempel/USA TODAY Sports
Twins manager Ron Gardenhire told reporters that Phil Hughes, who is one-third of an inning away from triggering a $500,000 bonus in his contract, will not pitch out of the bullpen this weekend.
It was the final start of the season for Hughes, who fell one-third of an inning short of triggering a $500,000 innings bonus in his contract with the Twins.

The right-hander has thrown 209 2/3 innings this season; his contract stipulates that he would receive the bonus if he reaches 210 innings pitched.

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire told reporters after the game that he will not use Hughes out of the bullpen this weekend. The former All-Star acknowledged that he is aware of the situation regarding his bonus.

"I was very aware of it, but some things aren't meant to be," Hughes said, according to MLB.com.

Umpires delayed the game when rain began falling hard enough that it was dripping off the brim of Hughes' cap as he walked off the mound after the eighth inning.

Hughes, whose base salary is $8 million, already earned a pair of $250,000 bonuses for reaching 180 and 195 innings.

He (16-10) did set a single-season major league record for strikeout-to-walk ratio, finishing the season with 186 strikeouts and 16 walks. His 11.63 ratio became the best of all time for pitchers with a qualifying number of innings.

Hughes beat Bret Saberhagen, who had 143 strikeouts and 13 walks for the New York Mets in 1994 for an 11.00 ratio. Hughes struck out five without a walk Wednesday and allowed only a sacrifice fly by David Peralta in the sixth inning.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I believe that there was also an article that quoted Gardy as saying that he was going to send Hughes back out for the 9th but then the rain delay screwed that. I also think that he had another start that was shortened due to the weather earlier this year. I think a good idea for the Twins front office would be to give the money to a charity of Phil's choosing.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
He (16-10) did set a single-season major league record for strikeout-to-walk ratio, finishing the season with 186 strikeouts and 16 walks. His 11.63 ratio became the best of all time for pitchers with a qualifying number of innings.
This is the part of the article I found fascinating, and it's buried.

Holy crap! 186 Ks and only 16 walks, the greatest K/BB ratio in MLB history!
How the heck did he have a 3.52 era with mind-blowing control like that? That's better than Greg Maddux control.
He must be throwing hittable pitches instead of painting the corners like Maddux did.

jwblue

Sep 6, 2014
This is the part of the article I found fascinating, and it's buried.

Holy crap! 186 Ks and only 16 walks, the greatest K/BB ratio in MLB history!
How the heck did he have a 3.52 era with mind-blowing control like that? That's better than Greg Maddux control.
He must be throwing hittable pitches instead of painting the corners like Maddux did.

I always thought K/BB is an overrated statistic.

Relevant, but still overrated.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I personally don't care. I mean he got bonuses for other thresholds. I mean I get this one was very very close but he didn't get it. Tough as far as I'm concerned. He makes great money and that's life.

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
Threshholds are threshholds. They don't owe it to him to throw him out there just to meet the incentive. It isn't like they were trying to keep him from it -- it just happened.

I'm sure if he had 210.3 IP, there would be no clamoring from anybody to have him give the money back since it was so close.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Threshholds are threshholds. They don't owe it to him to throw him out there just to meet the incentive. It isn't like they were trying to keep him from it -- it just happened.

I'm sure if he had 210.3 IP, there would be no clamoring from anybody to have him give the money back since it was so close.
Great post.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I'm glad that they offered it to him, and I give him a lot of credit for declining. I think both parties involved made stand up decisions. This makes me that much happier that I picked this up over the weekend-
485C4C68-2B26-4090-99DC-7ADF4D976E79_zpsnadxugwd.jpg

Members online