Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 Topps Archives Signature Series: Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Here are mine:

- 2015 was cool.
- Creating a nearly identical product 9 months later, with the same players is not. Not at all. Ok, so the foil stamp is gold now, the case sticker is on the other side of the holder, but ... c'mon.
- It is a shame for those of us who paid good money for a card that was numbered out of /2 /3 /4 or /5 only to find the exact same card is now numbered to /25 & /50.
- They need to derail the buyback train...asap. In 9 months, some cards have had nearly 10 different versions of a buyback. From '15 archives to '15 originals to '16 65th and now '16 archives.
- The LEAST they could do is give us a checklist.

Sorry for the rant - what are your thoughts?

Last edited:

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Honestly, you don't need my thoughts. You nailed it. I did enjoy last year, but I am on the sidelines this year.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I liked it but it sucked all the same(2015). The numbering was all over the place and very random. No checklist. I don't even know what exists and what doesn't. And a lot of sellers are absolutely horrible about realizing that an encapsulated card is generally kept that way by collectors. So when you send me one in the mail after I pay good money for it and the case looks like it was involved in a war, I'm a little miffed. Or putting tape over the archives sticker so if pulled off, it takes the sticker with it.

And last but not least, the card selection was very random. I get the use of base topps cards. But not the use of inserts, some of which are foil and do not hold an auto very well. Of course some of us really grew up liking a cool looking insert and maybe always wanted a signed copy so here's your chance. So I'll leave that up in the air.

The only conceivable way I can see them doing 2016 is if it's different players. And different cards. If they don't, I may bite on the Bagwells but not like I did on 2015. Fool me once...

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I just saw someone pulled a 91 stadium club buyback Canseco #/4. They had the EXACT same card AND numbering as last year. To me, that is ridiculous.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Didn't like it last year. I can't believe a multi-million dollar company is not able to show a checklist.

ESPECIALLY given the outcry the collecting community had about them not having a checklist last year!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
As I saw the "new" cards this evening, I noted that all but about 4 I saw were issued in series 1 in a different quantity. This is douchy by Topps. There are plenty of cards to choose from for most players. Let's see some new designs all ready!

BOOOOO!!!!!!!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Saw what appeared to be an Aaron rookie 1/1 pulled. Hard to tell but didn't look like a reprint buyback either. Insane if it is and all down hill from there I'm guessing

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Checklist (of names) is out. I have never heard of Steve Gromek. Did they have deceased players in last year's release?

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Topps needs to just get in bed with BGS and encapsulate these. I hate the Topps sealed stuff but love the idea.

Topps needs to just get in bed with BGS and encapsulate these. I hate the Topps sealed stuff but love the idea.

I don't think that would be a good idea. Most of these cards would receive grades of 9 and under. I am not 100% against grading, but I do not grade cards for my pc. It is easier to store cards slabbed in a one touch mag with top loaded cards than it would if the cards were in a BGS slab. On the other hand, I would rather these cards not be slabbed in one touches. A toploader with the Topps sticker would do just fine in my book.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Opened a case, not too bad

https://www.facebook.com/Casebusters/videos/933617946766128/ (Facebook Live)

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 8_22_1256.JPG
    8_22_1256.JPG
    301 KB · Views: 189
  • 8_22_1261.JPG
    8_22_1261.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 8_22_1266.JPG
    8_22_1266.JPG
    335.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 8_22_1271.JPG
    8_22_1271.JPG
    340.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 8_22_1276.JPG
    8_22_1276.JPG
    335.3 KB · Views: 190

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I don't think that would be a good idea. Most of these cards would receive grades of 9 and under. I am not 100% against grading, but I do not grade cards for my pc. It is easier to store cards slabbed in a one touch mag with top loaded cards than it would if the cards were in a BGS slab. On the other hand, I would rather these cards not be slabbed in one touches. A toploader with the Topps sticker would do just fine in my book.

Not graded....just encapsulate.

Donruss/Playoff did this in 2008 Prime Cuts
s-l300.jpg

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
Tanner - you're speaking my language. I've had this rant too.

I'm creating a Frank Thomas checklist with whatever's uncovered. See it here.

Note though that I'm not buying any of these. I see no reason to fork over $250 for a card that can be had signed for less than $30 just because it has a Topps stamp on it. I'm not interested in re-buying every Topps card just because they're now part of a variety of lackluster BuyBack campaigns. In an odd way, the whole thing is kind of insulting to collectors.

Not to say I don't like Topps; I'm still fond of the brand. I don't buy modern wax which means I don't have the luxury of dealing with the hassle of their insidious redemption program and as such I don't share in the resentment a lot of collectors have. Where I'm not terribly excited is in the sludge of BuyBacks they've rolled out over the last 24 months.

What would make these BuyBacks really cool was if they were pack inserted at an unreal rate and without any magnet, just loose non-numbered on-card autos from all-star players. Make it hard to pull so that each pull is valued by the collector. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts