Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Taijuan Walker/Ketel Marte Traded to the DBacks for Jean Segura + More

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
AZ's new front office isn't fooling around. Great pickups. What a lopsided trade.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
And there it is: Arizona gets Taijuan Walker and Ketel Marte for Jean Segura, Mitch Haniger and Zac Curtis. Strong play by D-backs new crew.

[MENTION=12878]death2redemptions[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
For those who may have forgotten, three years ago, Mariners wouldn't trade Taijuan Walker to get David Price. Today, Walker gets Jean Segura.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Wow...first impression is that AZ got a steal. I had Taj on my FBL team last year, he was quite volatile but when he was on he was a stud. high upside still, i think.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
ehhhh.... as a mariner fan, I'll wait and see.. heard good of segura but don't know much. Walker when he was on was a def ace. if he keeps up his middling ways might not be bad.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For those who may have forgotten, three years ago, Mariners wouldn't trade Taijuan Walker to get David Price. Today, Walker gets Jean Segura.
People are vastly underestimating Segura for some reason.

He's only 26 and last year led the NL in hits, batted .319 with 20 homers, 33 steals and 102 runs scored.
As a second baseman, that's Roberto Alomar and Ryne Sandberg type numbers.

Taijuan Walker has been mediocre and has possible "potential."
I'll take the guy who's only two years older and one of the best young stars in the game.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
I'm only upset for losing Walker :( I'm confident with the foot issue that he got the bone shaved off for won't impact his performance this next year. His upside is dominate, and those blown type of games should start dwindling assuming his foot was the case for 2016. He had a great 2015 for being his first full year and he can only get better IMO.

I'll take Segura replacing Marte any day so I'm happy with the addition of him to the team. That really adds to the value offense and defense wise with Seager and Cano in there. I'm really interested to see what SP will be added as Walker is leaving a pretty big hole in the rotation.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

He's only 26 and last year led the NL in hits, batted .319 with 20 homers, 33 steals and 102 runs scored.

I'll take the guy who's only two years older and one of the best young stars in the game.
I would agree. I'm a DBAX fan and I don't see this as a lopsided trade at all. I liked JS and unless the potential of TW turns to reality, then it's just potential. Segura even had MVP votes this year.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008

I think people are still struck with his down late-2013-2014 run after his kid died. That screwed him up for a while, and it took getting to AZ and probably dealing with the whole thing before he got back to what he was when Milwaukee got him from L.A.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly

Agreed. And his start last year was totally unreal numbers...

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
The more I think about this trade the more I'm happy with the Mariners here. You're trading a pitcher who has seen his FIP go up every year for a 5.7WAR middle player. We have seen a lot of GMs talk about "wanting to get more athletic" and then get slow/old DH type guys that try to play the field.... this is what Dipoto said and he looks like sticking to it.

How many runs can JS score with guys like Cano, Cruz, Seager batting behind him?? :eek:

ps, the LHP the Ms acquired could end up being a sleeper.

Latest posts