Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah I went back and forth on the 5 x 7's, but I found sellers with reasonable prices so I just picked them up. But I still haven't gotten the 10 x 14 "wall art" version from Topps online. It's about $30 shipped right now, and they're only sold as singles, not as sets for people to break like the 5 x 7's. So yeah. If I get one it'll be totally on a whim.

HOWEVER...I did notice somebody bought the 10 x 14 gold 1/1 version from the Topps website. I have a feeling it is my as-yet-unnamed nemesis Alomar collector. I feel like Sherlock Holmes who long senses that there's an evil genius at the center of London's crime scene, before he Prof. Moriarty is finally revealed...

Of course I'm definitely looking to fill the other holes in my rainbow, if anyone out there can help.

You're the first person collecting the 5x7s that I've seen. I've tried staying away from them because I just see it as a subset not affiliated with the release.

I've tried putting the Felix hernandez rainbow together but have lost on two of the 1/1s so far so it takes the fun out of it for me. I don't have deep pockets like most.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Picked up my second 1/1 in the run, really like these cards.
IMG_20170126_235330447.jpg

I'm still debating on the oversized versions, outside of those I think I'm only missing 5 from the run.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
So can we say roughly what the print run was for all of the base patterns yet? Here is the order Beckett and Cardboardconnection have in terms of rarity, along with a rough total number of each pattern for sale on ebay at the moment:

Group A
Spiral - lots
Cubes - 427
Grass - 38
Arrows - 12
Lines - 32
Diamonds - 26

Group B:
Maze - lots
Buckle - 365
Waves - 39
Peak - 27
Triangle - 23

This tells me that the first parallel (cubes / buckle) is MUCH more common than the rest, and the rest are all about the same small print run. Just wondering out loud in case anyone has looked into this.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I never did any real research but from watching lots of breaks and trying to complete a run of biggios I only saw two of the arrows, one in a break and one on eBay, I guess they could have even been the same one, arrows were definitely the most scarce from what I saw. Without anything being definite I'd at least say those are in the ballpark

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Diamonds/Triangles should be the /5 parallels just like Blades/Grid was in 2015 and Stripes/Shatter Stripe was in 2014. The red orbit non-numbered can't be any higher than 5-10 print runs either.

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Diamonds/Triangles should be the /5 parallels just like Blades/Grid was in 2015 and Stripes/Shatter Stripe was in 2014. The red orbit non-numbered can't be any higher than 5-10 print runs either.

You have any insight as to why the red orbit weren't numbered this year? Seems like an odd choice to make, I never saw any explanation anywhere.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I think they do these things with Tek so that people like us have these discussions on message boards! Seriously. The uncertainty adds a bit of intrigue to collecting, but if they did it with all sets people would get justifiably pissed. So my theory is that they do it with this one set for fun. I wouldn't be surprised if the parallels beyond the cubes/buckles are all short printed, just to mix it up and keep it "edgy" (or whatever).

You have any insight as to why the red orbit weren't numbered this year? Seems like an odd choice to make, I never saw any explanation anywhere.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado

No clue, but I don't think most collectors of Tek know they are this rare. I've picked up my Rockies players for a lot less than I was expecting to pay. Also, this stuff dries up rather quickly, so I'd nab my cards now. A few years from now you won't see much of the rarer patterns on the market.

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
That's very correct on both points, I got my red orbit in a break, saw some auctions go for single digits which I thought was crazy. The supply will definitely go fast, I can't even find patterns from 2014 now.

Ripkenfan126

Jan 5, 2017

In taking with many people the reds are /20.
Based off odds of pulling that makes sense.... a little harder to pull them then orange which are /25. I hate that they don't number them but I guess that adds to the mystery. Reds are some of the coolest cards in the set.
I also agree that they do kinda dry up fast.... u don't see to much from 2014 anymore.
The worst part for me is there are 3 1/1's I've never seen of a player... for all I know they are still in packs.

Ripkenfan126

Jan 5, 2017
09de6f832d2750178a57f993b0487c8a.jpg

Just got my grades back for my low #'d auto's!! I'd say I did ok!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
Landed the 1/1 Black Diffractor. Still waiting to see if the 1/1 Black Rainbow ever shows up. Also have the Away Uniform /50. No autographs yet. Still debating if I want to try and get them or not.
TekFelix.jpg

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Nothing to perk up the day like that padded envelope on the table when you get home from work!
IMG_20170204_175342876.jpg

My fourth 1/1 for this year, my rainbow is becoming fairly legitimate.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Nice!

Only one 1/1 for me so far. Had to back away from a couple overpriced ones, but that's OK. The one that bugs me is the black galactic, which came and went from ebay before I even saw it, and I'm pretty sure I would have landed that one. But there's still that black rainbow floating around somewhere out there...

Nothing to perk up the day like that padded envelope on the table when you get home from work!
View attachment 67362

My fourth 1/1 for this year, my rainbow is becoming fairly legitimate.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Got this Braids pattern Galactic in earlier in the week - still looking for the normal pattern Galactic too.

Members online