Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps should stick with realistic SRP packs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
What made Topps Tops are the "realistic" priced products. Think about the "classic" Topps baseball cards. what price point were the packs that they were pulled out of?

heres a small sample ...

1952 Mantle
1954 Aaron
1955 Clemente
1963 Rose
1980 Henderson
1985 McGwire
2001 Pujols
2011 Harper

The packs that housed these classic cards were price within reality for the time.

5 Star packs are $500 and includes 5 items. $100 a card, SRP - Overall reaction seems to be down since the cards are all in horrible shape.

Heritage High Number Sets are a complete money grab. $100 for 100 base cards and one sub-par autographed card. the cards are in rough shape, especially the auto.

the trend is only going upwards, and thats not a good thing.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I don't think the issue with 5 * is the condition of the cards - it's what you get for your $500. Even if they were all Gem Mint 10s, I still think the value isn't there in the cards themselves.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I can't believe I'm saying this but having Upper Deck back with Topps would be a great thing (Panini has sucked so far even with a players license)

Allen

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
If the OP is saying that price per pack doesn't alter the value of the cards therein, I'm inclined to agree.

Its not like I can do anything else with these cards except look at them. If they could mow my lawn or wash the dishes they'd have 'extra value' to me more than similar cards from other products... but they don't.

They look great from what I've seen though.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I miss Topps Total and its 99 cent packs and enormous base set.
Actually, I miss 35 cent packs in the '80s, but that was a different era.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Busting packs is gambling anyway you win some you lose more often than not.

Topps offers various price points for all types of collectors. They should be more worried that they shipped out a $500 pack of damaged cards.

I wish they would release the financial information in regards to the cost of making the products, purchasing photographs, gathering jerseys and player autographs.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Other than Sweet Spot and Ballpark Upper Deck products where pretty blah the last few years.

I would like to see Leaf and Panini products with logos, they would give Bowman a run for its money. As the products are superior in my opinion but lack of team logos really hurts overall appeal.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
I would rather cheaper packs with longer odds. The problem w 5 star is there's no brand equity, it'll be no different than any other auto relic card in five years. The design sure isn't innovating.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
How long until we have a $1000 sports card pack (not counting the presidential releases)?

"five star finest", avail only to "five star club" members at the national via vip invite.

Only 1 pack offered to ea member made, there ya go.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Other than Sweet Spot and Ballpark Upper Deck products where pretty blah the last few years.

I would like to see Leaf and Panini products with logos, they would give Bowman a run for its money. As the products are superior in my opinion but lack of team logos really hurts overall appeal.
You must not have seen 2008 & 2009 Ultimate.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
What made Topps Tops are the "realistic" priced products. Think about the "classic" Topps baseball cards. what price point were the packs that they were pulled out of?

heres a small sample ...

1952 Mantle
1954 Aaron
1955 Clemente
1963 Rose
1980 Henderson
1985 McGwire
2001 Pujols
2011 Harper

The packs that housed these classic cards were price within reality for the time.

5 Star packs are $500 and includes 5 items. $100 a card, SRP - Overall reaction seems to be down since the cards are all in horrible shape.

Heritage High Number Sets are a complete money grab. $100 for 100 base cards and one sub-par autographed card. the cards are in rough shape, especially the auto.

the trend is only going upwards, and thats not a good thing.

Each 5 star card likely carries a $20+ price tag just for the production of EACH CARD. Yes that's a production cost of $20 per card.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
This is why I like to see big hits coming out of retail and hope they continue to do so. Some people can't even afford $100 a box so buying a couple $3 packs from wal mart or target with a chance at a big hit is nice. Sure you'll prob get skunked most the time but at least you know the chance is there. I get why some people complain about huge hits in retail like superfractors or super rare cards, but I think nice hits in retail is good for the hobby.

Members online

Latest posts