Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rose bet as a player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Not to mention him lying for year and years about it. And still lying to this day, apparently.

And the fact that he's a major scumbag who's shown zero remorse for any of it.

A_Pharis

There are two sentences in this post that show me you're a complete moron.

I don't see the big deal here, guy is a HOFer no doubt.

Hey at least he didn't hack the Stros...

One of you is from Cincy. The other is from St. Louis.
You two realize that this back and forth would go nowhere, right?

Probably best that it doesn't happen... and [MENTION=10415]caster513[/MENTION] - you kinda "cast" the first stone. (See what I did there?)

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Never wanted Rose inducted before and now this just closes the door on that ever being possible. He will still be recognized in the HOF but will never be inducted.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Never wanted Rose inducted before and now this just closes the door on that ever being possible. He will still be recognized in the HOF but will never be inducted.

Even if they ever did decide to induct him, it would be well after his death. They wouldn't give him the satisfaction of knowing he's a HOF'er.

markotsay7

Feb 18, 2011
Interesting that ESPN brought this notebook (seized in 1989) to light a month after Pete Rose joined Fox Sports 1's broadcast team.

He may never have bet against the Reds but he didn't have to. That's not the issue. By the end he was 400k in debt. All a mobster has to do is say "throw these games on these days and we'll forgive your debt" and there's no record of Pete betting and no proof that he did anything "wrong."

I think he deserves to be in the Hall, with Shoeless Joe PED users too, with their sins etched in stone for eternity. But the rule was there, is there, and will likely always be there, so that's a problem.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I love Rose. Always loved to watch him play. Always gave it 110%. But the biggest rule in baseball (its even posted in every clubhouse) is not to bet on baseball. You brake the rules of baseball you should be banned for life.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I never understood the people who say that as long as he didn't bet against his team it was fine. Simple scenario - day before a game and he knows from practice that the pitcher is throwing really well so he bets the Reds. Other way around, if an important hitter is nursing an injury or something like that he doesn't bet. There are a large number of scenarios where Rose would have a massive advantage even if he never bet against his team.

Not to mention as others posted and we all knew it is explicitly against the rules and even the punishment is explicitly clear.

And just to boot, he's been lying about his involvement for years and years after finally "coming clean". If you're going to publicly come clean the worst thing you could do is continue to lie...

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I never understood the people who say that as long as he didn't bet against his team it was fine. Simple scenario - day before a game and he knows from practice that the pitcher is throwing really well so he bets the Reds. Other way around, if an important hitter is nursing an injury or something like that he doesn't bet. There are a large number of scenarios where Rose would have a massive advantage even if he never bet against his team.

Not to mention as others posted and we all knew it is explicitly against the rules and even the punishment is explicitly clear.

And just to boot, he's been lying about his involvement for years and years after finally "coming clean". If you're going to publicly come clean the worst thing you could do is continue to lie...

+1 ;)

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ

I guess its because if you know the pitcher is doing bad like you said and he doesn't bet that's only hurting himself or the betters. But if you bet against your team you may be throwing the games like the 1919 black sox

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I was always on the fence with Rose and actually leaned towards not punishing him as he "only bet as a manager" but I think I was dillusional. I saw him many times with a large entourage of guys who were around the baseball star not for friendships but for what Rose could do for them. When you looked at these guys you just knew in your gut they were not the brightest bulbs with the best morals on the planet. I saw these guys do whatever Rose wanted, get him whatever he needed and now that I think back on it, I have no doubt they very well could have been running bets for him as I saw some things that probably were not quite right. If this most recent news is true, and I have no doubt it is, then he is done with Baseball and the Hall Of Fame.

It is just sad that some of the heroes of our youth are less than stellar citizens. Yes, they are human so we cannot hold them to a higher standard than the rest of us but one would hope these athletes would realize their status in life and how they impact the youth.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Right but if it collapsed tomorrow no one would die. Its entertainment

There are a great deal of jobs that would go away if the sports entertainment business would collapse and I am not talking just of the athletes and front office staff that cater to putting a team on the field. You cannot believe how many jobs would be lost. So yeah, nobody would probably die but the economy would take a hit and jobs would certainly be lost.

Members online

Latest posts