Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

USPS Saturday Delivery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
Oh stop with the anti-government ranting.
The Postal Service has been financially devastated by skyrocketing fuel prices over the last decade.
A gallon of gas has quadrupled from a dollar around 1998 to the current $4.
Everything the USPS does relies on fuel. Planes, trucks... Do you realize how much gas a letter carrier uses stopping and starting for hours every day?

Then there's the massive fuel usage of the airplanes shipping packages and letters to every state and foreign countries.
Yet postal rates have barely risen over the years, and certainly nowhere near enough to offset rising fuel prices.

And don't forget the fact that there has been millions less letters sent every month since the mid '90s because of emails and it's no wonder the USPS is losing money.
Still, people complain whenever the price of a stamp rises a penny, or a package goes up 50 cents.

Then why can FedEx and UPS still turn a healthy profit? They are faced with the same fuel issues.

I have no problem with the cost of a stamp going up more significantly if it means that they can be in the black and right the ship. Instead of raising the price $.04 cents every year, raise it $.30 and really make a difference.

Their current business model (outdated) doesn't take into account the constantly changing economy and technological advances. They fell behind and can't catch up.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Then why can FedEx and UPS still turn a healthy profit? They are faced with the same fuel issues.

I have no problem with the cost of a stamp going up more significantly if it means that they can be in the black and right the ship. Instead of raising the price $.04 cents every year, raise it $.30 and really make a difference.

FedEx and UPS are businesses, as said above USPS is a service that will do things and go places the others won't. They're not really competitors - you may have noticed FedEx pick-up points at your local USPS.

EDIT: The USPS technically reports to... Congress LOL

Last edited:

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
Isn't a huge part of it that they can't adjust workforce numbers and are required by law to service every corner of the country? They have offices open in parts of the country where it is economically inefficient to run them. So they have to have more workers and more offices than are efficient and thus waste money.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
Oh stop with the anti-government ranting.
The Postal Service has been financially devastated by skyrocketing fuel prices over the last decade.
A gallon of gas has quadrupled from a dollar around 1998 to the current $4.
Everything the USPS does relies on fuel. Planes, trucks... Do you realize how much gas a letter carrier uses stopping and starting for hours every day?

Then there's the massive fuel usage of the airplanes shipping packages and letters to every state and foreign countries.
Yet postal rates have barely risen over the years, and certainly nowhere near enough to offset rising fuel prices.

And don't forget the fact that there has been millions less letters sent every month since the mid '90s because of emails and it's no wonder the USPS is losing money.
Still, people complain whenever the price of a stamp rises a penny, or a package goes up 50 cents.
EDIT-MOD

The USPS is an extension of the Federal Gov. and has failed because of Union regulation and the increased bullXXXX of pension parents, look at the numbers alone. While they have decreased since 2002 there is still substantial volume that negates your uneducated liberal excuse Postal Facts
and since maill has decreased postal trucks and routes have increased especially in the past several years? That's good ole USA federal govt for ya, less work and more workers.
I say replace every ******* USPS retail window with an APM and let the pshycopaths inline figure out how to mail a fricken postcard for themselves. Reduce government waste and increase efficiency. With a 40% monopoly on the entire worlds shipping revenue there is no way to flunk. Give me a 40% stronghold on any product or service and I guarantee I'm wealthier than Warren Buffet in under 5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
mailmailbag.jpg

LOL I've sent my share out on Saturdays ....hehe
Misc Photos by mnbamboozled | Photobucket

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
FedEx and UPS are businesses, as said above USPS is a service that will do things and go places the others won't. They're not really competitors - you may have noticed FedEx pick-up points at your local USPS.

EDIT: The USPS technically reports to... Congress LOL

While I don't disagree that they are a service, that doesn't mean that the service needs to lose money just for the convenience of being there.... Especially after all these years. The business model is broken and outdated.

Reporting to congress only makes the situation worse.... Though understandable why they can even make their books break even.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
While I don't disagree that they are a service, that doesn't mean that the service needs to lose money just for the convenience of being there.... Especially after all these years. The business model is broken and outdated.

Reporting to congress only makes the situation worse.... Though understandable why they can even make their books break even.

I don't think you're getting that they ARE indeed a convenient service and NOT a business. This is why they 'report' to Congress.

Specifically they are a service that makes sure that people in remote areas will have access to postal services. Their primary focus is NOT to make money. However they obviously need to maintain some level of financial responsibility - which is what they're trying to do here. Its tough to blame the PO for their current actions.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
EDIT-MOD

The USPS is an extension of the Federal Gov. and has failed because of Union regulation and the increased bullXXXX of pension parents, look at the numbers alone. While they have decreased since 2002 there is still substantial volume that negates your uneducated liberal excuse Postal Facts
and since maill has decreased postal trucks and routes have increased especially in the past several years? That's good ole USA federal govt for ya, less work and more workers.
I say replace every ******* USPS retail window with an APM and let the pshycopaths inline figure out how to mail a fricken postcard for themselves. Reduce government waste and increase efficiency. With a 40% monopoly on the entire worlds shipping revenue there is no way to flunk. Give me a 40% stronghold on any product or service and I guarantee I'm wealthier than Warren Buffet in under 5 years.

1. Yeah the pensions and the timing with paying them are a problem, just as they have been in in the non-government auto industry.
2. "good ole USA federal govt for ya, less work and more workers." Yeah you're wrong once again in this thread. Don't let your hatred of everything "liberal" stop you from actually checking the facts when making an argument. The postal service workforce has decreased from a high of nearly 800,000 in 1999 to 584,000 in 2010. Number of Postal Employees, 1926 to 2010
3. I can think of a product you have a 40% stronghold on. Good luck Warren.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
I don't think you're getting that they ARE indeed a convenient service and NOT a business. This is why they 'report' to Congress.

Specifically they are a service that makes sure that people in remote areas will have access to postal services. Their primary focus is NOT to make money. However they obviously need to maintain some level of financial responsibility - which is what they're trying to do here. Its tough to blame the PO for their current actions.

Oh, I get it. I just have a hard time understanding why a service needs to lose money year after year. Again, just because its a service doesn't mean it should lose money and be fiscally irresponsible just for the sake of existence. That's simply poor management. But, based on what your sayng I believe you agree.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
Oh, I get it. I just have a hard time understanding why a service needs to lose money year after year. Again, just because its a service doesn't mean it should lose money and be fiscally irresponsible just for the sake of existence. That's simply poor management. But, based on what your sayng I believe you agree.

I don't think you can blame it all on poor management when there are artificial restraints placed on the management.

Members online

Latest posts