Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Minor League Cards of Cal Ripken, Jr., Reaching Astonishing Figures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Another huge sale to report:

July 13 - SGC 80 WBTV - $3,500 (EBay BIN)

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
If my memory is right, an SCG 80 is equivalent to a PSA 6. If that is right the price falls along similar sales. Of course as a BIN you are going with what a seller will take. Who knows if any of these BIN listings could've got more.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
If my memory is right, an SCG 80 is equivalent to a PSA 6. If that is right the price falls along similar sales. Of course as a BIN you are going with what a seller will take. Who knows if any of these BIN listings could've got more.

With a SGC 40 going for $2500 plus commission I guess is why I thought it was a decent buy.

Ryan

jbjints

Jul 19, 2011
Thank you for this thread. This is an extremely interesting read and it involves one of the greatest players to ever walk on to a baseball field.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Thank you for this thread. This is an extremely interesting read and it involves one of the greatest players to ever walk on to a baseball field.

My pleasure. Thanks for the kind words!

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Well let's see if it gets paid for with feedback left first. I was also shocked to see someone hit the minimum bid.

jakerazzle1

Feb 9, 2014
I just recently found a wbtv psa 7 which I purchased from private seller, these cards are certainly hard to find and bringing hefty premiums. Question, I also have the team card, whats the team card worth anyone know?

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Well let's see if it gets paid for with feedback left first. I was also shocked to see someone hit the minimum bid.

Totally forgot about posting a confirmation. The $15K sale was legit and confirmed.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
In regards to the WBTV team card, I do not recall seeing one sell individually at auction. I believe one was listed but may have been pulled. Not 100%. To me, Cal has 6 minor league cards. This includes his individual cards (Police, WBTV, TCMA, WTF) and the WBTV team photo and WTF checklist. Obviously the team photo/checklist will not bring the same money but it is still worth noting. I would personally love to have an extra WBTV team photo.

Good luck on the orange Pepper Girls card. That card is proving to be very difficult to find.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Not sure if everyone has been paying attention, but the PSA 2 Police Issue Charlotte Ripken was bought for the sole purpose of flipping, signs like that can indicate a bubble due for a pullback.

http://item.ebay.com/380851075601

To

http://item.ebay.com/161260431902

Considering it is the absolute lowest graded Police issue in the population, I thought $6k was extreme in the first place. I think the guy will have to sit on it a long time and just hope to break even in the end.

Side note, I did pickup one of Probstein's WTF PSA 9s that I'll post in the Ripken thread when it arrives... I feel that card is vastly undervalued in regards to Cal's other minor league cards / rookies. Well, that or either the WBTV and Topps Traded cards are vastly bloated beyond belief!

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
Not sure if everyone has been paying attention, but the PSA 2 Police Issue Charlotte Ripken was bought for the sole purpose of flipping, signs like that can indicate a bubble due for a pullback.

http://item.ebay.com/380851075601

To

http://item.ebay.com/161260431902

Considering it is the absolute lowest graded Police issue in the population, I thought $6k was extreme in the first place. I think the guy will have to sit on it a long time and just hope to break even in the end.

Side note, I did pickup one of Probstein's WTF PSA 9s that I'll post in the Ripken thread when it arrives... I feel that card is vastly undervalued in regards to Cal's other minor league cards / rookies. Well, that or either the WBTV and Topps Traded cards are vastly bloated beyond belief!

I was the first to sell and figured it would be best to be first out of the block rather than the last. I agree with the 1981 WTF card being undervalued. I think what keeps the price low is the fact that it is black-and-white. Looks beautiful signed with a blue sharpie though.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Yeah I wonder if the black and white could be holding back the price, but it is also an excellent portrait of Cal and I would think that counteracts it a bit. At least it does for me anyway. It's the only card I know of where you can see Cal's "bangs" for lack of a better term... his hair was never that long in the pros.

But with the price of his PSA 10 Rookies or even the TCMA PSA 10, which are ultra common in comparison, I'm definitely happy to get the WTF in PSA 9 shape. Some cards you can buy any day of the week with money, some cards require alot of patience as well.

Latest posts