Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why are people buying already redeemed redemptions for big money?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Recently it seems like everytime I search ebay I'm finding people paying a LOT for REDEEMED redemption cards. Here are a few examples:

2012 Topps Triple Threads Mike Trout Auto /99 Redeemed Redemption Card - sold for $13.27
2012 Bowman Sterling Bryce Harper Purple Refractor Auto /10 Already Redeemed Redemption Card - currently at $80!!!

Am I the only one who thinks this is INSANE?! Who is buying these things?!

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I feel like people don't really know what they're bidding on sometimes. I feel like they're dumb. I would never sell a redeemed redemption just because I feel like you're asking for a negative.

On a side note, I just realized I said, "I feel like.." 3 times in that short reply lol

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
I feel like people don't really know what they're bidding on sometimes. I feel like they're dumb. I would never sell a redeemed redemption just because I feel like you're asking for a negative.

On a side note, I just realized I said, "I feel like.." 3 times in that short reply lol

I feel like you made a good point :D

I tend to agree but at the same time the fact that they are redeemed is mentioned very prominently and still people bid. I'd feel gross as a seller trying to flip one of these...

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I feel like you made a good point :D

I tend to agree but at the same time the fact that they are redeemed is mentioned very prominently and still people bid. I'd feel gross as a seller trying to flip one of these...

I agree with you on that. I still think...ehem...feel like selling redeemed redemptions is still shady. Sure you may be able to garner a buck or two, but anytime it explodes you're just asking for problems

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Believe it or not, people actually do collect cards. And while I personally wouldn't want them, people believe a redemption card limited to 10 -- of which likely a few were thrown out -- is rare and a beloved part of their player collection, and are willing to pay good money for them. There are a lot of people who pay decent money for a 2001 Redeemed redemption of Pujols.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I'm not going to lie, I keep my high end redemption cards on the off chance they become like the Pujols thing. I also keep my high end Pedro Alvarez redemptions for cards that will never be made as a PC item and to remind me to never ever ever ever buy Topps redemption cards.

Maybe if you only sell the used redemptions after the expiration date? then maybe you frustrate the scammers who will send in used redemptions? I have a Brett Lawrie Blue Ref Auto redemption that I've thought about listing if he has a hot streak. I've not listed it yet, but provided I put in anti-scamming safeguards and am crystal clear with buyers (and messaging high bidders to remind them that it is used, allowing them to retract), I'm not averse to it.

sawmillthug

Dec 21, 2012
Chillicothe, MO
I always include the redemption card with the card when I sell it. If its a keeper I put them in a small box. I have several and I just keep them. Only reason I can see people buying them would be to put with a redeemed card they already own OR.... To scam. The thick redemption cards can have the front half cut off and then glue on some other redemption on the front. Example some common nobody back that is unredeemed with a trout or Harper or darvish front half that has been redeemed attached to the common. You buy for 300-3000 and go to redeem it and it is someone that is now bagging groceries.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
I always include the redemption card with the card when I sell it. If its a keeper I put them in a small box. I have several and I just keep them. Only reason I can see people buying them would be to put with a redeemed card they already own OR.... To scam. The thick redemption cards can have the front half cut off and then glue on some other redemption on the front. Example some common nobody back that is unredeemed with a trout or Harper or darvish front half that has been redeemed attached to the common. You buy for 300-3000 and go to redeem it and it is someone that is now bagging groceries.

Which could turn into kurt warner in the future. Not always a bad thing.:D

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I paid more for this. I have only one
juan_picture.php

Than this.:eek: I have 4
juan_picture.php

This is an unredeemed card and i paid way more for it. I have only one
juan_picture.php

Than this.I have 8.
juan_picture.php
juan_picture.php

Good luck finding them.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Why do people buy empty wrappers and empty wax boxes of 1952 Topps?

Simple. No one thinks/thought they'd be worth anything and threw them away. And how wrong they turned out to be.

Members online