Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PC - Where are you getting your PC lists from?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HumbleBob

Aug 2, 2009
I have been a Julio Franco PC since the 80s and have to have one of the most extensive collections with tens of thousands of his cards. I was taking them in trade when I used to sell. I built my Julio list through the decades by going to tons of dealers, ebay, team websites and asking everyone that I knew of if they had any oddball items. I see that there are many people here posting about their PC and stating that they have 90% completition and such. Where are you getting the list from? I would like to know where I stand on this completion percentage.

Maybe a better question is where can I go to get a list of cards for Julio Franco, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson (cool guy and my Dad's friend) and Frank Thomas (for my son). Ideally I would like to get a list that is not 100 pages long, complete yes but condensed enough to carry it around the National for 5 days. Any ideas out there?

Many thanks in advance for your time and suggestions. :)

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
My list came from a combination of beckett online and various other Puckett collectors. For oddballs I have gotten a lot of [MENTION=2659]tpeichel[/MENTION] and his oddball website.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Beckett is a good starting point, but you won't get a lot of the unlicensed stuff, variations and oddballs. The best player lists come from the guys that put them together themselves. For my Grace list, I started by copying and pasting Beckett list into Microsoft Excel, and then adding to it with my personal items. I formatted it into two columns so it would print one page wide for maximum compactness when printing, as I used to take it to shows with me on paper. Now-a-days, the list remains Excel and I keep the file on my android tablet, which I take to shows. There's no easy answer to where to get a good list. I love looking through other dedicated player collectors' lists, especially of guys from the same era, to look for items I might not know about, like the Juan Gonzalez, Mark McGwire and Will Clark sites.

Here's how I format my list:
Mark Grace Collection Master List

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Billy "White Shoes" Johnson list from Beckett, 44 items:

1972-83 Dimanche/Derniere Heure #260 Billy Johnson 8/2/81
1975 Oilers Team Issue #6 Billy Johnson
1975 Oilers Team Sheets #3 Sheet 2
1976 MSA Cups #18 Billy Johnson
1976 Topps #223 Billy Johnson RC
1977 RC Cola Cans #108 Billy Johnson
1977 Topps [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=5]#5 9[/URL] Billy Johnson
1977 Topps Mexican [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=5]#5 9[/URL] Billy Johnson
1978 Slim Jim #3 7 Billy Johnson
1978 Topps #3 90 Billy Johnson
1978 Topps Holsum #13 Billy Johnson
1979 Stop'N'Go #16 Billy Johnson
1979 Topps [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=24]#24 6[/URL] Billy Johnson
1979 Topps Cream Colored Back [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=24]#24 6[/URL] Billy Johnson
1980 Oilers Police #8 Billy Johnson
1980 Topps [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=5]#5 8[/URL] Billy Johnson
1981 JOGO Black and White #15 Billy Johnson
1981 Topps [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=5]#5 18[/URL] Billy Johnson
1982 Bantam/FBI CFL Discs #23 Billy Johnson
1984 Topps #215 Billy Johnson
1984 Topps Stickers [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=5]#5 7[/URL] Billy Johnson/ 207 Art Still
1986 McDonald's Falcons Black Tab #8 1 Billy Johnson
1986 McDonald's Falcons Blue Tab #8 1 Billy Johnson
1986 McDonald's Falcons Gold Tab #8 1 Billy Johnson
1986 McDonald's Falcons Green Tab #8 1 Billy Johnson
1986 Topps #3 64 Billy Johnson
1986 Topps Stickers [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=5]#5 4[/URL] Billy Johnson
1994 Ted Williams #24 Billy(White Shoes)
1997 Upper Deck Legends #122 Billy Johnson
1997 Upper Deck Legends Autographs #AL122 Billy Johnson EXCH
2004 Topps Fan Favorites #5 Billy Johnson
2004 Topps Fan Favorites Autographs #BJ Billy Johnson M
2004 Topps Fan Favorites Autographs Notations #BJ Billy Johnson
2004 Topps Fan Favorites Chrome #5 Billy Johnson
2004 Topps Fan Favorites Chrome Refractors #5 Billy Johnson
2004 Upper Deck Legends Legendary Signatures #LSBY Billy Johnson
2011 TRISTAR Pursuit Obak Preview Autographs #P6A Billy Johnson
2011 TRISTAR Pursuit Obak Preview Autographs #P6B Billy Johnson/Square Around Number
2013 Topps Archives #214 Billy Johnson
2013 Topps Archives Fan Favorite Autographs #FFABJ Billy Johnson
2013 Topps Archives Printing Plates Black #214 Billy Johnson
2013 Topps Archives Printing Plates Cyan #214 Billy Johnson
2013 Topps Archives Printing Plates Magenta #214 Billy Johnson
2013 Topps Archives Printing Plates Yellow #214 Billy Johnson

HumbleBob

Aug 2, 2009
Thanks for the ideas. I am working on Julio now. I got it into Excel and I am formatting it. It will take some time but it will get done. Then I will merge it with my checklist.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I primarily use the Inventory Manager at SportsCardForum.com for my list. It helps that I'm part of the staff that keeps the IM updated, so I'm able to make sure it has the most complete information for the players I collect. For Dave Winfield, Beckett lists 2366 items; SCF lists 2432.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I religiously use Beckett player checklist. I like the idea of using something official or posted out there versus creating my own and using my bias judgment on what should and shouldn't be on there.

To everyone their own.

For the record, I still collect oddball items, off Beckett checklist cards, cameos, etc. but don't add myself to his checklist.

My stats are in my sig but I have my 2,500 different Belle incoming, which is 89.2% of his 2,802 cards.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I primarily use the Inventory Manager at SportsCardForum.com for my list. It helps that I'm part of the staff that keeps the IM updated, so I'm able to make sure it has the most complete information for the players I collect. For Dave Winfield, Beckett lists 2366 items; SCF lists 2432.

I too use sportscardforum for thier list. Then recently i purchased a list from a seller on ebay, and its pretty thorough. I still have stuff thats not on it though, so even when you think its complete, you should check with other collectors of the same player and see if they have anything that should be on the list.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I too use sportscardforum for thier list. Then recently i purchased a list from a seller on ebay, and its pretty thorough. I still have stuff thats not on it though, so even when you think its complete, you should check with other collectors of the same player and see if they have anything that should be on the list.

Agreed about coordinating with other collectors. I've got a checklist from someone who probably has one of the two or three largest Dave Winfield collections and there is a lot on it not in the SCF database. In some cases it's very oddball stuff, in others it's just because I haven't been able to find any better information about the set to which the card belongs.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I basically use the list I made from Beckett so far. I will check out the list on SCF to see what my list may be missing.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

HumbleBob

Aug 2, 2009

Thanks. That site has about 20 more listed. I am going to go through to see what the difference is.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I guess that is where I might differ from a lot of other collectors... I don't know of any other true Albert Belle collectors, so I don't have the benefit of sharing thoughts on checklist or what cards might or might not be out there, etc. If there were six other guys like me, then I can see how you might want to create your own or try and match what the other guys are doing, ie if they're all using SCF and you're using Beckett, it's not apples to apples.

Again, whether people like or do not like Beckett, they do have "rules" for what should and shouldn't be on their checklists and I've had amazing success over the last five years with them when it comes to having cards added to the checklist that I own or know of... on the other side, removing cards from his checklist which I know do not exist, etc. I feel my Albert Belle checklist is pretty rock solid at this point... that all said, I do own probably 50 Albert Belle cards which are no recognized for whatever reason and my % would be higher if they were added, so it's not like I'm cherry picking ;)

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Whichever resource one may use to begin their collecting, for the hardcore folks, it's still a matter on never-ending research to figure out what is out there and how to find it. I would never advocate using any one single resource as none of them are comprehensive. I still see items turn up on eBay a few times a year that I've never heard of and are in no one else's checklist, and I'm not referring to recent customs.

Thanks. That site has about 20 more listed. I am going to go through to see what the difference is.

Julio Franco is an interesting challenge because of his Korean and Japanese cards. Lucky for you no one in Mexico can seem to issue a set more than every 5-10 years, or he'd probably have several there, too.

Last edited:

HumbleBob

Aug 2, 2009
I am guessing that I have about 50 Julio cards that are not listed on either Beckett or Freedom Card Board. Some of these are dubious like a page cut out of some French magazine which was sold as a 'card'. I have one other Julio collector out there, there were 3 of us diehards. The other collector is slow to share his list as he came along when there were the crazy 1/1 like the printing plates and such. I don't blame him as we each have our own way of doing things.

I am lucky in that I collect a good but not popular PC guy. He got in a lot of sets but mostly played before the serial numbered cards came along. If I started my PC then, I probably would have quit right away.

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I am lucky in that I collect a good but not popular PC guy. He got in a lot of sets but mostly played before the srial numbered cards came along. If I started my PC then, I probably would have quit right away.

That's what killed my interest in collecting Matt Williams. His career started in the pre-madness days, but he played long enough that he's probably had 5 times as many cards issued from his final two seasons on than he had in the previous 15 seasons. I had over 900 different cards, but the finish line was moving away faster than I could run.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
That's what killed my interest in collecting Matt Williams. His career started in the pre-madness days, but he played long enough that he's probably had 5 times as many cards issued from his final two seasons on than he had in the previous 15 seasons. I had over 900 different cards, but the finish line was moving away faster than I could run.
Yea, think of Albert Belle... cards were from 1989 to 2001 and then after 10 years, he gets reintroduced haha. It's only about 50 new cards a year added but they're like all autos, relics, both or 1/1s, printing plates, etc. Cool cards but $$$ and it becomes more of a total race than enjoyable collecting sometimes.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I use an old Beckett checklist I have. If I find something not on the list, I make a note of it. If it's a parallel or preview or sample or something, I'll make a note next to the actual check listed item indicating there is more than one version and which one(s) I have. I'll also make notes about how to tell apart certain cards(like the 95 leaf promo) so I don't have to remember everything.

But with the addition of new stuff lately, and a ton of oddball Star cards from the early 90's, I really need to compile a complete list that has everything fused together in chronological order instead of all the notes.

HumbleBob

Aug 2, 2009
I religiously use Beckett player checklist. I like the idea of using something official or posted out there versus creating my own and using my bias judgment on what should and shouldn't be on there.

To everyone their own.

For the record, I still collect oddball items, off Beckett checklist cards, cameos, etc. but don't add myself to his checklist.

My stats are in my sig but I have my 2,500 different Belle incoming, which is 89.2% of his 2,802 cards.

I hear you...To me it is just confusing though. Beckett is a big name so their list would carry weight but I don't understand how they made it. For instance they list:
1990 Donruss 701A Julio Franco AS/Recent Major/League Performance
1990 Donruss #701B Julio Franco AS/All-Star Game/Performance

The error card and the corrected card. Yet they don't seem to list other Julio error cards and then their corrected card. IMHO I am going to just determine what percentage done I am as I can not seem to find a good list, just the one I did myself.

My tottal will be much higher as my list contains Avalon hill status pro, Info game cards, Replay game cards, every sticker combination on earth...

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I hear you...To me it is just confusing though. Beckett is a big name so their list would carry weight but I don't understand how they made it. For instance they list:

The error card and the corrected card. Yet they don't seem to list other Julio error cards and then their corrected card. IMHO I am going to just determine what percentage done I am as I can not seem to find a good list, just the one I did myself.

My tottal will be much higher as my list contains Avalon hill status pro, Info game cards, Replay game cards, every sticker combination on earth...

That is the way I have mine set up. Beckett was just the starting point and then I started adding the various border issued cards, sticker combos, printing defects etc. I even have licensed photos on my list(photo files, barry collas, prolook etc.). My checklist is constantly changing to include new things that I find.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

My total will be much higher as my list contains Avalon hill status pro, Info game cards, Replay game cards, every sticker combination on earth...
Have you ever messaged them? Might want to try that because they're responsive to me and my questions, especially since I pay the $7/month or whatever for Albert Belle player pricing and checklist. They have a methodology to their madness but like anything else, it's not perfect. At the end of the day, you might find that they will add the card(s) you're speaking about to his checklist. Sometimes they appreciate collectors helping them. You'll just need to do a little work like scanning the card(s), etc. but if you care that much, it'll happen. Problem is, some collectors b!tch about them and their accuracy but when asked to do a few simple things to get a card(s) added to a checklist, they don't have the time or energy... it's pretty funny actually.

I can tell you that I've had a TON of cards added to Albert Belle's checklist over the years and I've also had a few cards removed from his checklist via Beckett because we went back and forth about the card(s) and discussing facts, researching, etc. I actually think too many people just say F Beckett and their system and don't actually think about trying to work with them to make their checklists and database better. I do and it's refreshing.

I'll get off my soap box but I'll just say this... If I created my own checklist for Albert Belle, I would have over 90% of his cards because I'd simple add in 50+ cards that I have, check them off and BOOM +90% ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts