Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1998 Topps Tek question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frankhardy

Sep 11, 2014
What is the difference between a 1998 Topps Tek pre-production McGwire regular card vs the gold foil? It looks like the regular has gold foil. How scarce is the gold foil?

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
What is the difference between a 1998 Topps Tek pre-production McGwire regular card vs the gold foil? It looks like the regular has gold foil. How scarce is the gold foil?

The base pre-productions have silver/white foil. The gold ones replace all that silver/white with gold (pics below).

We confirmed this year that at least one pattern has 2 copies so the original thought of these being 1/1's has been pushed aside. If you've got any let me know! I only need 10 more to complete the entire McGwire run.

f-1939.jpg
b-1939.jpg

f-6431.jpg
b-6431.jpg

frankhardy

Sep 11, 2014
Thanks for the reply and the scans. I have the pre-production white/silver.

Another question.....What about the Diffraction/Diffractors/Refractors? It looks like the regular cards have a "refractor effect". Are the diffraction cards labeled as such?

The only one I have is for my Cardinals team set collection. I am only getting one variation of the regular cards and one of the diffraction cards.

Last edited:

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the reply and the scans. I have the pre-production white/silver.

Another question.....What about the Diffraction/Diffractors/Refractors? It looks like the regular cards have a "refractor effect". Are the diffraction cards labeled as such?

The only one I have is for my Cardinals team set collection. I am only getting one variation of the regular cards and one of the diffraction cards.

You are right, they all have that slight refractor effect. However, the diffractors look almost like an art project where someone glued back a cut up card together from a bunch of smaller pieces. The refraction isn't consistent. You can see the difference below: first is base, second is diffractor:

f-1041.jpg
b-1041.jpg

f-1716.jpg
b-1716.jpg

frankhardy

Sep 11, 2014
Thanks for the scans. Now I am finally clear on that.

Do you have an extra McGwire, Brian Jordan, or Lankford diffraction? Also, I need a gold foil McGwire pre - production.

Last edited:

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008

Do you have an extra McGwire or Lankford diffraction? Also, I need a gold foil McGwire pre - production.

Glad I could help with the knowledge. I don't have any extra McGwire's though - typically when I do I trade them for others I need but currently have zero duplicates.

Like all the other PC'ers I'm still a long ways away from completing my tek collections :)

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

Do you have an extra McGwire or Lankford diffraction? Also, I need a gold foil McGwire pre - production.
I am down to needing just a few Lankord TEK: 45, 65, 77, 83......are you the same Frank that I sent a Lankford TEK in the past year?

I will trade a diffractor for those four cards.

Juanlasttime

Apr 9, 2016
North east Pa
Good luck completing your McGuire set... I've completed my regular Juan Gonzalez Teks for all years... I've got 25 different 98 tek diffractors of Juan... If anyone has any they'd like to sell please pm me..

Thanks, Kevin

frankhardy

Sep 11, 2014
I forgot, I also need a Brian Jordan Diffraction.

I only have pattern #11 for Lankford. I am not sure where I got my Lankford... My real name is Shane, not Frank.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Good luck completing your McGuire set... I've completed my regular Juan Gonzalez Teks for all years... I've got 25 different 98 tek diffractors of Juan... If anyone has any they'd like to sell please pm me..

Thanks, Kevin

Nice! Did you go after all the golds as well?

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Yes I am... I've got twenty of 99 gold and seven of the 2000 golds... Very hard to find any that I need now...

Kevin

Yeah they are really tough to find. I felt like throwing a party when I finished the '00 gold run. I've been stuck on the '99 at 56/60 golds for years. Seems only 2-3 surface a year and sometimes it's the exact same card.

Members online

Latest posts