Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Official 1991 Upper Deck Hologram Variations Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 14, 2009
ce723bb0c25c1596a0971ef656faec4b.jpg
Take another look. The regular 1991s show either a 91 or 16, the reverse variation shows a backwards 91 or 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

I understand that reversed lettering/dates appear but they appear superimposed over/alongside correctly printed lettering/dates, it is more apparent on some card than on others, which I assume is due to what part of the foil hologram sheet the base shape was stamped from. Even the example of the Mattingly you show also shows the word "DECK" correctly alongside the reversed digits. They are not two separate versions.

sucrusader

Feb 7, 2013
NJ
"Deck" actually looks exactly the same right-side-up or upside-down. The key is to look at the "PP" in Upper when it's upside down on each card. The rounded part of the "PP" points to the right in the reserve (Mattingly) and points to the left in the correct version (#451). Check all your cards, I'm confident you won't be able to find a card with a reverse 91 or 16.

Jan 14, 2009
"Deck" actually looks exactly the same right-side-up or upside-down. The key is to look at the "PP" in Upper when it's upside down on each card. The rounded part of the "PP" points to the right in the reserve (Mattingly) and points to the left in the correct version (#451). Check all your cards, I'm confident you won't be able to find a card with a reverse 91 or 16.

I don't know what else to tell you but I understand what you're saying re: the DECK example I cited. Having sorted through hundreds of thousands of 1991 UD upon discovering the hologram variations and previously PC'ing a handful of subjects in the set I feel confident that I have encountered reversed imagery holograms examples (they have also been discussed in other UD sets). At this time, I don't own common 1991 UD cards to check out, only the other year/product hologram variations.

While not 100%, I am pretty certain that the design of the hologram on the basic 1991 cards allows for both directions to be printed. Just curious but why are you confident that I couldn't find another example of one?

sucrusader

Feb 7, 2013
NJ
I have bought almost 2000 Wes Chamberlain 1991 UD cards from eBay, Sportlots.com, Beckett, and card shows, and I only found 2 examples of the reverse hologram.

Jan 14, 2009
I have bought almost 2000 Wes Chamberlain 1991 UD cards from eBay, Sportlots.com, Beckett, and card shows, and I only found 2 examples of the reverse hologram.

I believe you and that's how it goes sometimes when player collecting unlisted variations. Just also showing you that they can be found, if not for Chamberlain, then other subjects. There are many examples on COMC after a casual search of a few dozen subjects.

sucrusader

Feb 7, 2013
NJ
I believe you and that's how it goes sometimes when player collecting unlisted variations. Just also showing you that they can be found, if not for Chamberlain, then other subjects. There are many examples on COMC after a casual search of a few dozen subjects.

You see that the 4 card examples you sent are regular 1991s, right? Can you send 1 example of a reverse hologram?

Jan 14, 2009
You see that the 4 card examples you sent are regular 1991s, right? Can you send 1 example of a reverse hologram?

The holograms are both reversed AND correctly printed. Common 1991 UD cards with 1991 hologram type feature a repeat, overlapping pattern of right side up, upside down and reversed "91 UPPER DECK." Some cards show the reverse more clearly than others, some show none, depending on what portion of the foiling was stamped down. This is crystal clear when you review many copies of the cards under multiple angles and a strong light source. Even without those tools, you can see them on COMC.

I don't know why my pics of card 327 don't show up large scale like the Rickey pic, they are appearing tiny so not sure how you can say that, they have the reversed text visible. That was just one subject example. Many of comc's scans will either pick up the "91" OR the "UPPER DECK" in various states.

Spike

Oct 22, 2013
The holograms are both reversed AND correctly printed. Common 1991 UD cards with 1991 hologram type feature a repeat, overlapping pattern of right side up, upside down and reversed "91 UPPER DECK." Some cards show the reverse more clearly than others, some show none, depending on what portion of the foiling was stamped down. This is crystal clear when you review many copies of the cards under multiple angles and a strong light source. Even without those tools, you can see them on COMC.

I don't know why my pics of card 327 don't show up large scale like the Rickey pic, they are appearing tiny so not sure how you can say that, they have the reversed text visible. That was just one subject example. Many of comc's scans will either pick up the "91" OR the "UPPER DECK" in various states.

I looked through my 200+ Will Clark 91 UD cards, and none of them had the reversed hologram variation. [MENTION=2962]jacksoncoupage[/MENTION], I understand what you're saying. However, you'll kick yourself when you see it.

I'm now missing the Comic Ball and reversed hologram variations.....dang it....

Jan 14, 2009
I looked through my 200+ Will Clark 91 UD cards, and none of them had the reversed hologram variation. [MENTION=2962]jacksoncoupage[/MENTION], I understand what you're saying. However, you'll kick yourself when you see it.

I'm now missing the Comic Ball and reversed hologram variations.....dang it....

I'll be happy to add another hologram variety if possible (or any variation for that matter) but as it stands these are part of the same sheets as the non reversed cards. You can find both print types on the same card.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I've gone through hundreds of each of the mcgwire's and still haven't seen these:

174: Reverse, comic
656: comic, nhl, no holo, diamond

Members online