Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will any baseball record ever be broken?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998 SPx

Jun 11, 2014
As many good young players that are in the game today, I don't see any of them breaking any of the following career records unless the game is fundamentally changed in how it's played (which I don't ever want to see).

Will any major record ever be broken, or is the record book set in stone?

Batting Avg: Ty Cobb .366
Batting Streak: Joe DiMaggio 56 Games
Hits: Pete Rose 4,256
Doubles: Tris Speaker 792
Triples: Sam Crawford 309
Home Runs: Barry Bonds 762, or Hank Aaron 755, depending on how you view it
RBIs: Hank Aaron 2,297
Runs Scored: Rickey Henderson 2,295
Walks: Barry Bonds 2,558, or Rickey Henderson 2,190 depending on how you view it
Strikeouts: Reggie Jackson 2,597

Complete Games: Walter Johnson 749
Wins: Cy Young 511
No Hitters: Nolan Ryan 7
Strikeouts: Nolan Ryan 5,714
Saves: Mariano Rivera 652
Home Runs allowed: Jamie Moyer 522

Juanlasttime

Apr 9, 2016
North east Pa
As many good young players that are in the game today, I don't see any of them breaking any of the following career records unless the game is fundamentally changed in how it's played (which I don't ever want to see).

Walks: Barry Bonds 2,558, or Rickey Henderson 2,190 depending on how you view it

I'd say no to every pitching category...

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008

How many more years does Chris Davis have on his contract?

Was just thinking about this category. Strikeouts aren't as frowned upon as they used to be and are generally up across the board. I think this and Saves are currently the most likely to be broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Those numbers are so gaudy it's hard to think they will fall, I'm sure at some point a few will tumble, that's how it works but to think that a player needs to average 40 doubles for twenty years to break Speakers record seems laughable. The rest are along the same lines. Money changes a lot of things, not playing through nagging injuries, maybe not hanging on for the last couple years etc... Teams not wanting to pay for those last few years, advanced stats...Not many things point to guys playing longer and harder than when the bulk of those records were formed.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
You never know with science.

Some new undetectable (or not tested for) super steroid could be developed providing even harder/ further hit balls and faster running.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Cy Young's win total has to be the most untouchable significant record in all of the major US pro sports. I could almost imagine any of the others being broken (some more likely, some much less likely), but 511 wins - fuggedaboutit

1998 SPx

Jun 11, 2014
It's crazy. When I was typing the original post, the one I thought I had the best chance of falling was the strikeouts by a batter. Chris Davis is 30 now and has 1,309 strikeouts. Not really a record to be celebrated, but six more seasons of 200 strikeouts and he will be knocking on the door. Hopefully he gets his fair share of home runs along the way.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
The career wins record is the most untouchable of those. I could theoretically see all of the others falling. No way wins is ever broken. I also dont see any way how someone breaks the 56-game hitting streak. While not a career record, nobody has even come close.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I think these all have a chance of falling. No chance on the rest.

Batting Streak: Joe DiMaggio 56 Games - This record has more to do with luck than anything else. DiMaggio batted .357 that season, which is a number that is often surpassed.
Hits: Pete Rose 4,256 - It's a ton of hits but Ichiro passed this mark between the US and Japan, so a similar type player could have a shot
Doubles: Tris Speaker 792 - Quite a few modern players are in the top 20 (Biggio retired at 5.) Again, not unbreakable.
Home Runs: Barry Bonds 762, or Hank Aaron 755, depending on how you view it - Combination of power and longevity. Miggy's closest comp is Aaron. Can he maintain it?
RBIs: Hank Aaron 2,297 - Pujols and Miggy have outside shots at this
Runs Scored: Rickey Henderson 2,295 - Trout...
Strikeouts: Reggie Jackson 2,597 - Easiest one on the list

No Hitters: Nolan Ryan 7 - Amazing performances, but there are guys like Scherzer who have a shot.
Saves: Mariano Rivera 652 - This record has been broken and set a couple of times recently.
Home Runs allowed: Jamie Moyer 522 - Got to be durable and just good enough for a really, really long time... who knows if anyone will pitch long enough anymore

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Anything that can be done in one season is always a possibility. As amazing as DiMaggio's streak was, it takes just over 1/3 of a season to break. Granted, only one person has come within a dozen games of it, but it could happen. I think a real bat control artist with speed like Ichiro could do it, but then again, neither Rose nor DiMaggio was exactly that.

Of the career records, maybe doubles, RBI, or Runs. Doubles may be tough given that we aren't in the deadball era and ball parks tend to be smaller and OFs in general are probably better. More often than I can remember, a liner down the line into the corner is not an automatic double. Speaker was a great hitter, but I wonder how many of his 2Bs were products of his park and era. For the others, you need to be a supreme hitter, obviously, and play on good teams, but the key is longevity. Aaron's Braves were not always great and he never even hit 50 HRs but he was just so good, consistent, and injury free for basically 2 decades. HRs, maybe, but it takes the ultimate combination of luck and skill. Griffey probably could have got there, and maybe Miggy or Pujols can. But again, consistency and longevity are virtually impossible to hold together that long.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I don't think the doubles record will come close to being broken until baseball executive types stop seeing a "doubles hitter" as "failed home run hitter" and start acknowledging the hitter as being good, not being power deficient.

RagingAcid

Feb 26, 2017
Markham, ON

Avg- Doubt

Streak-Doubt

Hits-Possible

-Doubles-Possible

Triples-Possible

Homeruns-Not Likley

RBIs-No

Scores-No

Walks-No

Strikeouts-If you try hard enough

CGs-No

Wins-No

No Hitters-Probably

Strikeouts-Doubt it

Saves-Yes

-HRA-Depends how you count

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
Cy Young's 511 wins will be easy to break.

Just find a rookie and have him win 20 games for 25 years. Granted, he'd have to stick around until July of his 26th year to get to 511, but it doable.

</sarcasm>

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
And Walter Johnson's 749 complete games. These days a guy is lucky to have 5 in a season! Untouchable!!!

Cy Young's win total has to be the most untouchable significant record in all of the major US pro sports. I could almost imagine any of the others being broken (some more likely, some much less likely), but 511 wins - fuggedaboutit

Members online