Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Bowman Scout Blog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
All three Bowman scouts get to blog about anything prospect-related.

Here's my first entry. Hope you like.

Bowman Scout

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The link didn't work for me but it's on Wordpress' domain so maybe they're having an issue. They should really get you guys a blog on the Topps domain if they are taking this seriously. :)

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
The link didn't work for me but it's on Wordpress' domain so maybe they're having an issue. They should really get you guys a blog on the Topps domain if they are taking this seriously. :)

Link worked fine for me. Anyway, I'll paste it for you.

My 30 Breakout Prospects For 2013
Posted: January 30, 2013 in by J.P. Schwartz

Greetings, fellow prospectors.

For this, my first blog entry as a Bowman Scout, I decided to pick one prospect in each team’s farm system who I believe is poised to have a breakout season in the minors this year. You will notice I did not choose the most recognized players in each system as, for purposes of this discussion, a “breakout” prospect would be defined when someone who is not yet a household name in the prospecting world steps into the limelight - see Oscar Taveras in 2012 – and puts together a season many might not expect. Here are my humble predictions and abbreviated comments on each player’s attributes.

Arizona Diamondbacks – Michael Perez (C). Great receiving skills, emerging power at the plate, could become another Miguel Montero.

Atlanta Braves – Luis Merejo (RHP). Struck out 53 in 41 IP in the Rookie GCL (3rd in the league), great movement on his heater, working to improve two potentially effective secondary pitches.

Baltimore Orioles – Christian Walker (1B). Great plate discipline and swing, will show increased pop, could move quickly.

Boston Red Sox – Manuel Margot (OF). Very good at pitch recognition, fast runner, good arm, will make US debut in Rookie Ball this year.

Chicago Cubs – Christian Villanueva (3B). Acquired via trade from the Rangers, has an excellent attitude and is a great asset at the hot corner. Good hitter and could provide pop.

Chicago White Sox – Erik Johnson (RHP). I’d consider him the best arm currently in their system, with an effective fastball and an even better slider. Possible future #3-4 SP.

Cincinnati Reds – Dan Langfield (RHP). A 3rd rounder drafted last year, his delivery is cleaner since college and now shows off both an impressive fastball and slider. Also possesses both a changeup and curveball that could follow suit.

Cleveland Indians – Anthony Santander (OF). Switch-hitting, strong young talent with good current raw power, will likely start at Low-A at 18.

Colorado Rockies – Ryan Warner (RHP). Towering frame (6’7”) yet lanky, fastball can improve as he fills out, although it already touches mid-90’s. Emerging curve and changeup.

Detroit Tigers – Austin Schotts (OF). Excellent young athlete with great speed, both on the bases and in his swing, very talented young CF.

Houston Astros – Rio Ruiz (3B). A 4th rounder last year, his swing and bat speed both impress, as does his arm (formerly a pitcher who touched 95 mph), will likely bat alongside number one pick Carlos Correa to start this season.

Kansas City Royals – Adalberto Mondesi (SS). Switch-hitting scrappy kid with good power for his size already at 17. Will become the youngest player in Low-A this year. Very speedy, great defender.

Los Angeles Angels – Yency Almonte (RHP). 17th rounder last year, is a worthy project. Athletic, can touch 94 mph, good curve, working on changeup.

Los Angeles Dodgers – Scott Barlow (RHP). Projectable, can touch 95 mph, but his breaking ball is even more noteworthy. Has four pitches in his arsenal, all of which can work for him.

Miami Marlins – Kolby Copeland (OF). Signed in the supplemental 3rd round last year, he could be an above-average hitter with good pop, speed and defensive skills.

Milwaukee Brewers – Tyrone Taylor (OF). Excellent athlete, great bat speed, mature and possesses both power and speed, with good instincts. Potential 5-tooler.

Minnesota Twins – Max Kepler (OF). Broke out in the Appy League last year and could very well continue his torrid pace, in an outfield consisting of teammates Adam Walker and Byron Buxton. Has all the tools to succeed.

New York Mets – Gabriel Ynoa (RHP). Great low-effort delivery, impressive control, finesse type of pitcher, with a #3-4 SP projection.

New York Yankees – Rafael DePaula (RHP). Signed in the DR last year, led the DSL with 12.4 K’s per nine innings, fastball in the mid-90s, deceptive curve and changeup, repeats delivery well.

Oakland Athletics – Nolan Sanburn (RHP). Fastball sits in the mid-90s and touches 99 mph, impressive breaking stuff, emerging slider. With improved stamina, can work deeper into games.

Philadelphia Phillies – Carlos Tocci (OF). Impressed as a 16-year old in the GCL last year, blazing speed on the bases and in the field, uses the strike zone efficiently. While a ways away, one to keep an eye on.

Pittsburgh Pirates – Tyler Glasnow (RHP). Lanky and projectable, velocity improving to 96, curve getting filthier, still filling out, a good athlete overall. Could be a fast riser.

St. Louis Cardinals – Patrick Wisdom (3B). Good hitter with better power, impressive athleticism and range at third. Better defender than most in their system.

San Diego Padres – Fernando Perez (3B). A 3rd rounder last year, has an excellent left-handed swing, is a potential above-average hitter/slugger.

San Francisco Giants – Clayton Blackburn (RHP). Very deceptive, finesse type, with an advanced breaker and command. Struck out 143 in the hitter-friendly CAL, has the presence to repeat at higher levels.

Seattle Mariners – Tyler Pike (LHP). A supplemental 3rd rounder last year, he has impressive athleticism with excellent control and command. Has life on his fastball, signs of a sharp curve and a changeup in progress.

Tampa Bay Rays – Blake Snell (LHP). Very projectable, with a sneaky late-life fastball that touches 94, low-80s slider that fools, is working on both his curve and changeup.

Texas Rangers – Lewis Brinson (OF). Potential 5-tool prospect, great bat speed, developing power. Impressive defensively as well, with a great arm and above-average runner.

Toronto Blue Jays – Matt Smoral (LHP). Recovering from foot surgery, but when healthy, possesses mid-90s heat, great slider, and is working to improve his changeup. Still filling out physically.

Washington Nationals – Estarlin Martinez (OF). Steadily improving each season, has calmed down his approach and now swings at better pitches. Has a great arm and good speed.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Nice! I am all over Tyrone Taylor but won't invest without a little more pro data. I've been hurt by the "shorties" in the past. (Salome, Gindl, etc)

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I think it was an awesome first entry for your blog. It's generally the first question people ask after "who's the best so-and-so".

I kind of expected Holmberg to be your AZ pick, even though he's generally considered a Top-10 in the system. I know you like him, and I'm a BIG fan.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
My second blog entry is now live in the link above - it pertains to the 2013 draft.

My fellow scout, Freddy, has also posted a couple of blogs in it as well.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Good stuff. Glad to see I'm not the only one on Estarlin Martinez. I saw him a bunch up in Auburn, near where I live. I have all of one Orange Ref of his. Serious stash, no?

Was a bit old for the NYP, but he hit a HR that was one of the biggest bombs I've ever seen. I wonder where he'll be able to fit in for the Nats, but he is a very good player, and was a fan favorite of the Doubledays.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I just wrote a new blog, entitled "The Comeback Kids", in which I picked 30 more prospects (one per system) who had bad seasons last year but could rebound this year.

Link is in the OP.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
For the past couple of weeks, @BowmanScout has been counting down their own Top 100 prospects list. Here it is, all at once. I believe this will be an insert in 2013 Bowman as well.

(Disclaimer - I had nothing to do with this list in any way.)

Bowman Top 100 Prospect Rankings
by Bowman Scout

1 Dylan Bundy - Baltimore Orioles® P
2 Jurickson Profar - Texas Rangers® SS
3 Oscar Taveras - St. Louis Cardinals® OF
4 Travis d'Arnaud - New York Mets® C
5 Jose Fernandez - Miami Marlins™ P
6 Gerrit Cole - Pittsburgh Pirates® P
7 Zack Wheeler - New York Mets® P
8 Wil Myers - Tampa Bay Rays™ OF
9 Miguel Sano - Minnesota Twins® 3B
10 Trevor Bauer - Cleveland Indians® P
11 Xander Bogaerts - Boston Red Sox® SS
12 Tyler Skaggs - Arizona Diamondbacks® P
13 Billy Hamilton - Cincinnati Reds® OF
14 Javier Baez - Chicago Cubs® SS
15 Mike Zunino - Seattle Mariners™ C
16 Christian Yelich - Miami Marlins™ OF
17 Taijuan Walker - Seattle Mariners™ P
18 Shelby Miller - St. Louis Cardinals® P
19 Jameson Taillon - Pittsburgh Pirates® P
20 Nick Castellanos - Detroit Tigers® OF
21 Archie Bradley - Arizona Diamondbacks® P
22 Danny Hultzen - Seattle Mariners™ P
23 Taylor Guerrieri - Tampa Bay Rays™ P
24 Byron Buxton - Minnesota Twins® OF
25 David Dahl - Colorado Rockies™ OF
26 Francisco Lindor - Cleveland Indians® SS
27 Bubba Starling - Kansas City Royals® OF
28 Carlos Correa - Houston Astros® SS
29 Mike Olt - Texas Rangers® 1B
30 Jonathan Singleton - Houston Astros® 1B
31 Anthony Rendon - Washington Nationals® 3B
32 Gregory Polanco - Pittsburgh Pirates® OF
33 Carlos Martinez - St. Louis Cardinals® P
34 Jorge Soler - Chicago Cubs® OF
35 Matt Barnes - Boston Red Sox® P
36 Kevin Gausman - Baltimore Orioles® P
37 Albert Almora - Chicago Cubs® OF
38 Alen Hanson - Pittsburgh Pirates® SS
39 Addison Russell - Oakland Athletics™ SS
40 Jedd Gyorko - San Diego Padres™ 3B
41 Gary Sanchez - New York Yankees® C
42 Noah Syndergaard - New York Mets® P
43 Jackie Bradley - Boston Red Sox® OF
44 Mason Williams - New York Yankees® OF
45 George Springer - Houston Astros® OF
46 Aaron Sanchez - Toronto Blue Jays® P
47 Nolan Arenado - Colorado Rockies™ 3B
48 Corey Seager - Los Angeles Dodgers® SS
49 Kyle Zimmer - Kansas City Royals® P
50 Tyler Austin - New York Yankees® OF
51 Kyle Crick - San Francisco Giants® P
52 Robert Stephenson - Cincinnati Reds® P
53 Joc Pederson - Los Angeles Dodgers® OF
54 Julio Teheran - Atlanta Braves™ P
55 Brian Goodwin - Washington Nationals® OF
56 Kaleb Cowart - Angels® 3B
57 Tony Cingrani - Cincinnati Reds® P
58 Yasiel Puig - Los Angeles Dodgers® OF
59 Oswaldo Arcia - Minnesota Twins® OF
60 Trevor Rosenthal - St. Louis Cardinals® P
61 Alex Meyer - Minnesota Twins® P
62 Jake Odorizzi - Tampa Bay Rays™ P
63 Jake Marisnick - Miami Marlins™ OF
64 Adam Eaton - Arizona Diamondbacks® OF
65 Rymer Liriano - San Diego Padres™ OF
66 Brad Miller - Seattle Mariners™ SS
67 Max Fried - San Diego Padres™ P
68 Eddie Rosario - Minnesota Twins® 2B
69 Justin Nicolino - Miami Marlins™ P
70 Cody Buckel - Texas Rangers® P
71 Jesse Biddle - Philadelphia Phillies® P
72 James Paxton - Seattle Mariners™ P
73 Allen Webster - Boston Red Sox® P
74 Kyle Gibson - Minnesota Twins® P
75 Nick Franklin - Seattle Mariners™ 2B
76 Dorssys Paulino - Cleveland Indians® SS
77 Hyun-Jin Ryu - Los Angeles Dodgers® P
78 Courtney Hawkins - Chicago White Sox® OF
79 Delino DeShields - Houston Astros® 2B
80 Joey Gallo - Texas Rangers® 3B
81 Hak-Ju Lee - Tampa Bay Rays™ SS
82 Kolten Wong - St. Louis Cardinals® 2B
83 Aaron Hicks - Minnesota Twins® OF
84 Michael Choice - Oakland Athletics™ OF
85 Luis Heredia - Pittsburgh Pirates® P
86 C.J. Cron - Angels® 1B
87 Lucas Giolito - Washington Nationals® P
88 Daniel Vogelbach - Chicago Cubs® 1B
89 Austin Hedges - San Diego Padres™ C
90 Matt Davidson - Arizona Diamondbacks® 3B
91 Gary Brown - San Francisco Giants® OF
92 Daniel Corcino - Cincinnati Reds® P
93 Adalberto Mondesi - Kansas City Royals® SS
94 Victor Sanchez - Seattle Mariners™ P
95 A.J. Cole - Washington Nationals® P
96 Joe Panik - San Francisco Giants® SS
97 J.O. Berrios - Minnesota Twins® P
98 Trevor Story - Colorado Rockies™ SS
99 Stefen Romero - Seattle Mariners™ 2B
100 Andrew Heaney - Miami Marlins™ P

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'll say it again. Anthony Rendon is a top-five guy right now. No one realizes it with the time he missed. Tore up ST and the AFL too.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I'm hard pressed to think of a good topic for my next blog entry.

Any ideas, fellas?

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm not sure what the parameters or guidelines are but maybe an article about the upcoming guys in the Aflac/Perfect Game sets? I am assuming it has to tie into their product somehow....

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I'm not sure what the parameters or guidelines are but maybe an article about the upcoming guys in the Aflac/Perfect Game sets? I am assuming it has to tie into their product somehow....

Thing is, we don't yet know who will be on their rosters this year.

However, I've decided what my topic will be - the top 10 teams in the minors with the biggest plethora of prospect talent. Stay tuned. :)

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I've always thought articles/posts about how you evaluate prospects would be interesting. What factors you look for in a good prospecting investment versus how they might be distinct from evaluating successful MLB players.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Just found out my own on-card Bowman Scout auto cards (as well as my fellow scouts') will be inserted into this year's Bowman Draft.

Sent from my XT907 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
So we can now prospect you? And I can pull your sticker auto instead of austin meadows? Awesome!

Members online

Latest posts