Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 MLB Draft Official Discussion Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Ding ding ding

But I knew he was going to get more than the projected $3 million he initially said he'd ask for.

Quite a bit below slot.

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB
1st-rder Ian Anderson, @Braves agree on $4 mil (pick 3 = $6,510,800). New York HS RHP, projectable, 91-95, makings of plus SL. @MLBDraft

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Quite a bit below slot.

1st-rder Ian Anderson, @Braves agree on $4 mil (pick 3 = $6,510,800). New York HS RHP, projectable, 91-95, makings of plus SL. @MLBDraft

In the end it doesn't really matter how much we paid because the Braves have been able to sign all of their top 10 picks. Now we just have to find out if they are any good.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
1st-rder Blake Rutherford signs w/@Yankees for $3,282,000 (pick 18 = $2,441,600). Calif HS, nice bat/power/run, likely RF. @MLBDraft

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Per Jim Callis, 1st rounder Dane Dunning signs with the Nationals for $2M. (slot = $2,034,600).

(Four more 1st rounders left to sign.)

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
1st-rder A.J. Puk agrees w/@Athletics on $4,069,200 (pick 6 value). Florida LHP, mid-90s & wipeout SL when at his best. @MLBDraft

Which leaves Garrett, Groome and Kay.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Per Jim Callis, 1st rounder Anthony Kay has signed with the Mets for $1.1M (slot = $1,972,100).

The reason for the discount is, his physical raised some elbow concerns. (Ruh roh.)

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Per Jim Callis, 1st rounder Anthony Kay has signed with the Mets for $1.1M (slot = $1,972,100).

The reason for the discount is, his physical raised some elbow concerns. (Ruh roh.)
Mets have enough pitchers with elbow problems atm, lol.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
There it is.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman
red sox, jason groome have a deal. $3.65M pending physical.

And then there was one. Can Miami sign Brax away from his Vandy commitment?

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Lower than the $3.8m I predicted.

+Groome
+Pomeranz
-Espinoza

I can live with that. All in all a good day.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
There it is.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman
red sox, jason groome have a deal. $3.65M pending physical.

And then there was one. Can Miami sign Brax away from his Vandy commitment?

He signed. Physical was Thursday.

Sox also have now managed to sign all their top 10 picks.

This is such great news for the BoSox and BoSox fans. From what I had read, there was a real chance Groome would not get signed.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
He signed. Physical was Thursday.

Sox also have now managed to sign all their top 10 picks.

This is such great news for the BoSox and BoSox fans. From what I had read, there was a real chance Groome would not get signed.

Very few people expected him to sign...including our host Jaypers.

I can't believe it myself but the BoSox just had an incredible draft now that he signed. He wasn't the only prize of the bunch but he was the biggest. People were expecting him to be a top 5 pick (or even the #1 pick) so grabbing him with the #1 2 pick and getting him to sign was pretty amazing.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Am I the only one who thought there was a 95% chance he'd sign? I sure as hell knew it wouldn't be til' the last minute, but there was not way the Sox were going to draft him if they didn't think they could agree on a deal. From what I read, Mr. Groome himself had very little to do with the negotiations, it was mainly his agent and the Sox FO 'doing the dance', so to speak.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Am I the only one who thought there was a 95% chance he'd sign? I sure as hell knew it wouldn't be til' the last minute, but there was not way the Sox were going to draft him if they didn't think they could agree on a deal. From what I read, Mr. Groome himself had very little to do with the negotiations, it was mainly his agent and the Sox FO 'doing the dance', so to speak.

Personally I believed he had a 23.6% chance of signing. :p

I came up with that number using my own personal highly advanced algorithm...which is obviously highly inaccurate apparently.

Members online