Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

JOSE QUINTANA TRADED TO THE CUBS FOR ELOY JIMENEZ/DYLAN CEASE/MATT ROSE & BRYANT FLETE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Why? Their window to win is over the next few years and Eloy wasn't going to help with that....the Cubs lose both Lackey/Arrieta next season so now they have a solid #2 locked up for the next 3.5 years. Cubs definitely aren't equipped to build long term so they might as well use the last of their assets to get the best pitcher on the trade market this year...which will allow them to stay competitive over the near future. His contract is a bargain so they will be able to sign another free agent this offseason to fill a need. Good trade for both sides IMO.

Exactly! And Quintana's numbers should be better in the N.L. since he won't have to face the DH as much. Theo had to do something about the starting rotation that had to pitch an extra month last October, in addition to losing the 2 guys to FA.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I'm in no way saying Quintana is bad, because he's not. They got a solid pitcher for sure, and I understand why they got him, but I believe what they gave up will be far more productive over the long haul. Perhaps depressingly more productive.

Just a hunch. :)

That's irrelevant if they win another WS over the next few years.

I'm not sure what the Cubs would do to fill 2 holes in their rotation this offseason had they not made this trade. I don't think they have the payroll space to add 2 $20m+ pitchers as well as any other holes they need to fill. Quintana is on a great contract.

Eloy might end up being a great player, but he hasn't played a game above A ball...so he's still got a ways to go before contributing to a ML roster.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
The winners might end up being Milwaukee. This unforseen success by the Brewers put the Cubs in panic mode. If those prospects were going to impact the future MLB roster for the Cubs, Milwaukee had a hand in reducing that impact.

I'm not saying it was the plan, but it's definitely an outcome of the Brewer's season.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
Quintana 50-54 with a 3.52 ERA, 1.25 whip in 6 years. Decent numbers, but certainly not great. IMO the Sox came out ahead on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dont go by his win/loss record.
Quintana went 50-54 with 65 no-decisions from 2012 through 2016.*

65 no decisions. Had a piss poor run support from my white sox.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Dont go by his win/loss record.
Quintana went 50-54 with 65 no-decisions from 2012 through 2016.*

65 no decisions. Had a piss poor run support from my white sox.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

In my mind for the last four years he's quietly been one of the best & most consistent #2 pitchers in baseball. Never quiet an ace but he's knocking on the door. He has struggled this year but he is entering his prime years so it's still possible he becomes one.