Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So what's going to be the "shocker" in next week's hof vote?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Nearly every year there's some asinine vote or unexpected outcome when the hof inductees announced.

What's going to happen this year?

Will Maddux be in the top three ever?
Will another "very good" player(s) be enshrined?
Will someone actually vote for timlin?

Here's who is eligible
Moises Alou
Jeff Bagwell
Armando Benitez
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds
Sean Casey
Roger Clemens
Ray Durham
Eric Gagne
Tom Glavine
Luis Gonzalez
Jacque Jones
Todd Jones
Jeff Kent
Paul Lo Duca
Greg Maddux
Edgar Martinez
Don Mattingly
Fred McGriff
Mark McGwire
Jack Morris
Mike Mussina
Hideo Nomo
Rafael Palmeiro
Mike Piazza
Tim Raines
Kenny Rogers
Curt Schilling
Richie Sexson
Lee Smith
J.T. Snow
Sammy Sosa
Frank Thomas
Mike Timlin
Alan Trammell
Larry Walker

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Maddux, Glavine and Thomas get in.
Maddux with 99%, Glavine and Thomas with around 80%.
There will be no shockers, and there usually isn't.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
This year's ballot is a ticking time bomb. All the hold up due to PEDs will result in a LOT of names falling off the ballot for sure. You look at that list and there's at least 20 players with a serious argument to be elected, but only 10 can be named on a ballot. Either a lot of the PED guys fall off or a lot of borderline players get booted (Raines, Mussina, Mattingly, Edgar, Trammell, Raines). I can't stand the way the HOF vote is done and this year may finally cause a shift in the voting process.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
As a Padre fan, I loathe the 1984 Tigers (and to a lesser extent the 1998 Yankees), but I also believe Jack Morris is a HOFer and Trammell deserves some votes.

I see Bagwell as more of a HOF player than Biggio.

Frank Thomas...no brainer.

Ditto Maddux and Glavine.

While not an "obvious" HOFer, Fred McGriff deserves some consideration.

(I don't actually hate the Yankees or Tigers. It just stinks that the two times the Padres make it to the WS, they have to go up against to monster teams!)

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
If Trammell or Morris dont make the writers vote but get in through the veterans committee, will that be "He only got in because of the veterans committee" label?

Fordman

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I just revived a 5 year old thread at CU where I predicted Frank Thomas would get at least 90% of the vote in his first ballot. I stand by that; everyone forgets how dominant he really was. I invite anyone to read the article I wrote on my website under the Hall of Fame tab called "chisox years" for a refresh. In the end, he may not hit the 90% mark, but he's going to by +/- 3 I'm confident.

That said, Maddux will best Seaver's number. Glavine is swept up in a perfect storm and will finish around 95% (which is a shocker to me); being a Brave with Cox and Maddux in the same enshrinement is boosting Glavine's appeal.

I think Biggio squeaks in.

I think Piazza finishes around 70%.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
.....shocker will be if the BBWAA elects more than the 3 (Maddux, Glavine, Thomas) that I think are automatic this year.

Take away the PED issue (whether admitted, accused, or suspected) and these are automatics:

Jeff Bagwell
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Mark McGwire
Rafael Palmeiro
Mike Piazza
Sammy Sosa

I also think these 3:
Craig Biggio
Jeff Kent
Curt Schilling

will all eventually be elected.

Morris, Raines, Edgar all continue to have compelling cases.

As D-lite stated, will be interesting to see who falls off the ballot for next year.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
"shocker" Maddux only gets 92%::facepalm::. Some voters will leave him off. These voters should be banned from voting!

I think all votes should be public and that the Hall has to do something about the zero voters or people with agendas. It's their Hall and the writers are making a farce of it.

Members online