Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Games Available on DVD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I was given the 50th Anniversary DVD set of the Astros and it has four full games from Astros history. It was great rewatching those full games and not just a highlight reel. What other full games are available out there that you guys think I should see? It does not have to be Astros, but I obviously will be more interested if it involves them.

I need baseball while I wait for spring training to arrive!

inceptus

Apr 22, 2012
A&E released a nice collection of World Series box sets several years back, which included the full broadcasts of each game-- many are still available: http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=1996001&cp=&view=all

I'm a Mets fan, so I admit I've watched the 1986 WS on many a winter night. (Of course, being a Mets fan, I've watched it on many a spring/summer/fall night as well.) The 1986 WS box set throws in game 6 of the NLCS, which I realize might be a bit painful for you to watch...

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
A&E released a nice collection of World Series box sets several years back, which included the full broadcasts of each game-- many are still available: http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=1996001&cp=&view=all

I'm a Mets fan, so I admit I've watched the 1986 WS on many a winter night. (Of course, being a Mets fan, I've watched it on many a spring/summer/fall night as well.) The 1986 WS box set throws in game 6 of the NLCS, which I realize might be a bit painful for you to watch...

I was five when it happened, so not incredibly painful. I am also accepting of my team's spotty past. That said, I might pick it up because of how great the game was, even if I dislike the result.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I was given the 50th Anniversary DVD set of the Astros and it has four full games from Astros history. It was great rewatching those full games and not just a highlight reel. What other full games are available out there that you guys think I should see? It does not have to be Astros, but I obviously will be more interested if it involves them.

I need baseball while I wait for spring training to arrive!

I'm guessing it wasn't the 2005 World Series where they got swept by the ChiSox.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
I have the 1979 World Series box set and it's awesome. Not a fan of either team, but to go back and hear the team of Keith Jackson, Don Drysdale and Howard Cosell announce the games was pure magic. Of course my favorite NL player, Dave Parker, played in the series so that was cool. Plus, I am a huge fan of the old school uniforms.

I tell you one WS that if it ever came out on DVD, full broadcasts, I would be first in line would be the 1982 WS between the Brewers and Cards. Lots of great players on each team and this was the first WS I distinctly remember watching when I was 10.

My question is why not put out these box sets for every WS? Is it broadcasting rights that prevent MLB from doing so?

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
That's a good question. It seems that these would sell, at least regionally. And I would totally have a WS marathon. "This month we are doing the 60s."

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Felix Hernandez's entire perfect game can be found on DVD. I bet there are other historical/milestone games available as well regardless if they are produced by a legit company or home made.

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
I have the 87 and 91 World Series box sets I would like to one day have all the World Series box sets though

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
YouTube has a bunch of complete games for free - the quality is meh but it's there if you want to sift through between what MLB has posted and also another guy.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I can't believe teams don't release these.

I have been having fun YouTubing old games. Batting instruction by Curtis Wilkerson is really cool.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I have a 1967 Red Sox documentary DVD that includes a full game of one of the important late-season or playoff clinching games (its been awhile so I forget which game is a bonus to that DVD).

My favorite for complete games is a 10 DVD set of MLB's Greatest Games. Missing my favorite (1988 WS Game 1) but still quite a good collection of games including 1960 WS Game 7 where a kinnescope film was found, transferred and cleaned up.

my other favorite videos are the World Series films by team DVDs (I have the Dodgers and Twins team DVD's of world series films) and DVD's of each season going back to 2005. Of course these are not complete game footage but just the highlights of various World Series.

As for why not every WS has a DVD of full games, it likely may not be because of licensing but rather finding the copies of the video game broadcasts and determining if the quality is good enough that it can be cleaned up and released on DVD and that process can take some time.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Yeah, I can see that being a reason. But, I would think preserving it at a lower quality would be a good idea regardless. How many filmed games are lost forever?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts