Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Embarrassingly "F'd up" cards by companies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
It's Ed Fitzgerald. The card is a reprint of the original 1957 Topps card, which had the uncorrected error.
Topps reprinted the card a few years ago for the autograph set either not knowing or not caring that the picture was wrong 50 years ago, which is kind of insensitive to Snyder to remake.

Wow.Interesting he decided to sign them anyway.Makes me want to buy one.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
MannyCork.jpg

I wish I knew whose signature they printed on this.
2008BowmanChromeSuperfractor.jpg

Adam Jones

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
That could be. I just remember them saying they attempt to avoid theft and the like by hiring people who don't care lol... which I guess this is what you get as well lol

MLB Authentication does that (hires non-collectors) which may be what you're thinking of.

Pretty sure the point of reprinting the Snyder/Fitzgerald was the error. It's a well known error, and Topps Heritage does a lot of things like that to celebrate/reincorporate parts of the original sets.

My money would be on the bat manufacturer messing up on the bat barrel, which happens from time to time.

But lest I keep giving companies breaks... out of 700 odd cards, this is the one Jonny Gomes card that the manufacturer thought wise to screw up. It's Jonny, not Johnny. Kinda ironic that they went to the trouble of matching the photo of Gomes with the uniform (Rays/Rays); he was then playing for the Reds.

f-7169.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't have the scans to share at the moment, but I have a Sweet Spot Al Oliver that is upside down and a Panini Garvey sweet spot like card that is also upside down.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't have a scan but I remember a Hideki Matsui bat barrel card containing one from Kazuo Matsui. Also when some Japanese players sign in kanji the company sometimes puts the sticker on the card upside down. Here's an example:

uehara_018.jpg

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think if you post in this thread, you need to explain what the problem is. If an autograph inserted into a card upside-down, but said autograph is inscrutable chicken-scratch right-side-up, you need to point that out to people. Although, it is kind of fun trying to figure out what the problem is. So nevermind.

Also, the Pujols card is perfectly fine. That BGS graded it a 10 is the real crime there; a complete indictment of their autograph grading service.

The people that do the card assembly jobs aren't hired for their specific lack of baseball knowledge, but the fact that they're probably doing it for piece-work rates at under minimum wage. "We can pay you $200 to glue together 2000 of these jersey cards by Thursday. Do ya want the job or not?" This leads to poor quality control sometimes. Remember the 2009 UD Ultimate Patch cards? Sweet cards, but about half the patches were stuck in there upside down. Knowledge of logos is one thing, but if you can't see actual words being upside-down, you are definitely not hiring the right people.

Members online