Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why are some press plates backwards, and some aren't?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
It seems to be they should all be backwards... no?

Bane50

Feb 14, 2010
I believe the ink is transferred to another roller before being applied to the paper. Most 'backward' ones are for Finest type cards because it is printed on the back of the acetate.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I think it has to do with what it's printing onto. I know that Bowman plates are the same picture as seen on the card, while Bowman Chrome plates are reversed.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Most 'backward' ones are for Finest type cards because it is printed on the back of the acetate.
I think it has to do with what it's printing onto. I know that Bowman plates are the same picture as seen on the card, while Bowman Chrome plates are reversed.
Ah, that makes sense. I always wondered about the normal vs. reversed plates and meant to ask this question.

Last edited:

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
[MENTION=11981]WCTYSON[/MENTION]

I can't believe after all these years you remember I was in the printing industry. How's it going?

I believe the ink is transferred to another roller before being applied to the paper. Most 'backward' ones are for Finest type cards because it is printed on the back of the acetate.

Close, but the ink rollers never touch the paper. The paper in offset printing is contacted by a blanket. It is ink rollers to plate, plate to blanket and then blanket to paper. You are correct on the 'backward' plates for printing on the back of acetate.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
I can't believe after all these years you remember I was in the printing industry. How's it going?

You popped my online trade cherry on BO back in 2010. You never forget your first.

I'm pretty good; living in Portland working as a network engineer.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Solid explanation. Makes sense. Thanks

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc

Close, but the ink rollers never touch the paper. The paper in offset printing is contacted by a blanket. It is ink rollers to plate, plate to blanket and then blanket to paper. You are correct on the 'backward' plates for printing on the back of acetate.
I set type on two Kluges

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
You popped my online trade cherry on BO back in 2010. You never forget your first.

I'm pretty good; living in Portland working as a network engineer.

Right on, hope you like it there. I have friends there but have never been to the N.W., heard great things.

What he gentle?

You know me.

I set type on two Kluges

I never had a chance to do type setting. I ended my print career as a lead pressman on a 12 color, 6/6 40" Heidelberg.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts