Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
I am not huge fan of those Bleacher cards, but then again, they are McGwire cards, so I am missing those particular ones, I would be glad to take them off you. Same goes for oddballs or whatever I do not have!

Yeah I have 3 of those oddball Bleacher 23K Gold HR record cards and a few other oddballs too.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Yeah, definitely interested in swapping something. I'll PM you some scans of higher end McGwire cards I have for trade from '99 on down. Are you more interested in A's years or doesn't matter, as long as it is a 90's card?

Im always more of a '90's guy so if there's a swap you're interested in, let me know.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Yeah, definitely interested in swapping something. I'll PM you some scans of higher end McGwire cards I have for trade from '99 on down. Are you more interested in A's years or doesn't matter, as long as it is a 90's card?

I'm partial to A's McGwire's but if the Cardinals are from a set I collect like the Starquest HR above then I'd also be interested. It depends.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Nice Mark where did you pick those up?

I've got a couple hundred cards to crop and upload to the list. I'll throw up some pics here as I go, mostly 2014+. Not sure how that /2 ended up in here again but oh well, love that card!

I didn't check the scans before I went through and did all of these, I need to rescan them all because they came out blue. So much time I don't have though...

Anyways, here are the < /10 in the first 25 scans. That red tributes /5 auto is one of my favorite of the new batch of autos and it looks terrible in this scan :( At least it is next to a buyback with an auto from a better time! Love that Gypsy too. Never did see another of those green ones pop up.

1.jpg

Last edited:

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Here's the tek rainbow I'm going after if you aren't on the tek thread - Cameron did me a solid w/o me asking and didn't bid me up on the latest proof - thanks Cam, I do really understand how hard it is to hold back on items like that and reeeeeallly appreciate that you did. The fact you were willing to do that. Seriously means a lot.

I think I'm going to regret starting this though. I have a feeling it's going to turn out to be like the '98 diffractor hunt.

tek_strip1.jpg

tek_strip2.jpg

tek_strip3.jpg

tek_strip4.jpg

tek_strip5.jpg

Last edited:

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Hey Joe,

Goodness, looks like you are chasing after the newer cards too, ehh? Nice start to that Tek collection. That is going to be quite an accomplishment if you can put it together.

Got most of my recent cards from ebay, comc and some contacts. Have had them all sitting and waiting to go into their boxes for a few months. Finally put them all in, all 200ish of them. Plenty of lesser-exciting ones. Those were some of the better ones.

Keep up the good work!

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, I stopped at timeless treasures and dynasty though. I haven't decided if I'm going to go after those. I'm not happy how they saturated the auto market.

Cropped a handful of '14s. I loved this patch set.

2.jpg

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Well I suppose someone will continue. I stopped at '04 (of which there are only a small handful of cards anyway). The sportkings stuff was the first to come out after that in '09ish, then some other random brands without licensing agreements with MLB. Finally Topps went all bananas on us and, like you said, saturated the market with Autos (as well as inserts and parallels too for that matter). Granted some of the cards are pretty nice looking, but there are just way way way too many now. I also collect David Wright, but gave up on his post-2011 cards, once they began expanding the number of colored refractor cards from a small handful to 10-20+. I liked a rainbow consisting or 4-6 cards. Oh well. Still have plenty to chase in earlier years. Good luck either way Joe!

ewess77

Jul 23, 2010
1980's Star Company oversized parallels

Has anyone heard of the star company creating parallel sets to the common sets produced in the late 1980's? In particular 1988 star McGwire Platinum set or his yellow set. These "parallel" sets have the same pics and info on back, but are a bit off color and taller than the normal sets. Real cards or fakes?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Has anyone heard of the star company creating parallel sets to the common sets produced in the late 1980's? In particular 1988 star McGwire Platinum set or his yellow set. These "parallel" sets have the same pics and info on back, but are a bit off color and taller than the normal sets. Real cards or fakes?

I assume they were cut from sheets. There had been sheets w / scrap , missing foil , names , color , etc in the market. So the size difference is the person who cut it down , not doing it accurately if they were trying , or making a cut "proof"

That's my thought

Ryan

Joe , so you got that buyback !!
I was going nuts when I saw that card in the completed item search.

True story , back in 2004 one of those popped up on eBay. I lost the big at 950. It ended up going for 1200. That was the last time one of those buybacks with him rounding first popped up.

delsant2

May 29, 2010

"Autograph" is not real, they are printed on. From what I know, they aren't the easiest things to find, but I wouldn't pay more than a few dollars each for them, unless you really appreciate oversized cards/collectibles. I have two of them myself, but didn't really go out of my way to acquire.

ewess77

Jul 23, 2010
Thanks for the info! Do you know where they might have come from. I especially would like to knows the dates they were made.

Members online

Latest posts