Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jays sign Russell Martin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WaxPax

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Great signing for the Jays. A catcher that is better than Posey defensively, that had .400+ OBP and similar run creation value. Huge loss for the Pirates not locking him down.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
WOW, the Cubs were going after him but I doubt they were going to give him that kind of money.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Maybe now Dioner Navarro can be shopped. Surely his 2014 performance has increased his value, and makes him less likely to want to be a back-up.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
It's an overpay, but the Jays have to do that to get guys to Canada. Martin is a nice, solid player who should help their pitching staff.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
This will be Martin's 4th team now. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it always seems Martin goes where the money takes him. I don't see much loyalty from the guy....

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Well to be fair the Yankees made no real attempt to resign him before going to Pittsburgh and it would have been hard to turn down the Blue Jays deal which is likely longer than anyone else would offer and he is from Canada

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
He was a blast to watch, but I can't say I'll miss him at this price. Russ had an exceptionally high BABIP this year, which definitely helped his offensive numbers and probably won't be sustainable over the next year or two. By years 3-5, this contract is crazy for a catcher in his mid 30's.

If the Jays are able to put together a contender in the next year or two, it's certainly money well spent.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
And I thought the Cuddy signing was a head-scratcher ...

Would it surprise you to learn he has been the 3rd most valuable catcher in the game, since his first full season in 2006, only behind Mauer and McCann?

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Would it surprise you to learn he has been the 3rd most valuable catcher in the game, since his first full season in 2006, only behind Mauer and McCann?

Can you elaborate on this? Because I have a hard time believing Martin has been more valuable than Yadier Molina - and this is coming from a Brewer-fan who kind of despises Yadier Molina.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Can you elaborate on this? Because I have a hard time believing Martin has been more valuable than Yadier Molina - and this is coming from a Brewer-fan who kind of despises Yadier Molina.

Until the 2011 season, Molina was putting up pedestrian offensive numbers. Molina is the best defensive catcher in the game but until his most recent seasons he was never much of an offensive contributor. Martin has rare qualities for a catcher. He is a mix of some power, some speed, decent OBP and solid defensively. He certainly is not better than what Molina is now but for the time span discussed he provided more value.

Members online