Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rising Yankee Star Prospect - Opinions on Collection Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apr 6, 2011
Hey all,
So I have amassed a very solid Slade Heathcott collection for not a lot of money over the past year. To be very honest, I have almost exactly $500 invested in all of this stuff.

2010 Slade Heathcott Chrome Autos
Reg Auto – x11
Ref Auto /500 – x4
Ref Auto /500 BGS 9.5 w/10 auto x2
Blue Auto /150 BGS 9.5 w/10 auto x2
Gold Auto /50 BGS 9.5w/10 auto
Gold Auto /50 PSA 10
2010 Elite Extra Auto /754 – x6
2010 Elite Extra Auto /754 BGS 9.5 w/10 auto

Now, I have a few questions, and need some opinions. I am a big fan of Heathcott, and collect him not as a prospector, but as a fan of his style of play. I originally was buying up everything because it was so cheap and I wanted them for my personal collection. After a good year, and an amazing AFL, he is all of a sudden the #2 Yankee prospect and is appearing on people's radar.

Should I flip this lot for a profit right now? Obviously this would be the worst time to sell
Should I wait and see how he does at the beginning of the year and sell?
Wait and hope he gets to put on a Yankee uniform in a year or 2?
Or hold onto them because I enjoy collecting him?

Collecting him is fun, but if there is a big enough payoff, lets be honest..... I could use the mnoey to pay for some other items, plus have some money left over.... depending on if he makes it big or not. Anyways, curious to hear other people's opinions. Thanks for the read.

Giancarlo Stanton

Oct 26, 2012
NJ
why not sell 10 regular autos, 5 ref autos, 1 blue auto, and 5 elite autos, leaving you with one of each? that way you can collect and make money.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I have quite a few Heathcott autos as well. Just picked up his Elite Gold Status auto /5. Imo its not time to sell right now. His cards are still selling for modest prices.

Allen

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Let me frame it this way, as a huge Yankee fan and also big Yankee prospect collector/investor: sell at the next spike, likely during Spring Training when he starts getting pub in the Post and Daily News. He's a huge talent and is producing, but the risk with that style of gameplay, his already extensive injury history, and his borderline rage makes it a no brainer to sell. I hope he does well and becomes a superstar, but all those qualities impact each other and are already the reason the cards were depressed in price. He's a low-probability guy with all that risk.

Ask Montero prospectors how it worked out for them. A possible trade will diminish his value and the fact that the yankees are not spending this year may fuel a trade instead to fill some of their holes.

I haven't checked his AFL stats or his previous minor league stats but I lost a ton of money buying Ken Harvey cards when he had a good AFL season. I was just learning how to prospect at the time. I remember Chip Cannon having a good AFL year a couple of years back and he never did anything in the bigs.

Apr 6, 2011
A trade would definately not help his value... he had a good yar in the minors, followed by a hot AFL. I guess only time will tell. If he can put up good numbers next yar and stay healthy, he will rise up the chars. I am curious as to if he will crack BA's top 50 prospects come the beginning of the season. He was not on their radar at all, so I would be surprised if he did.

Ask Montero prospectors how it worked out for them. A possible trade will diminish his value and the fact that the yankees are not spending this year may fuel a trade instead to fill some of their holes.

I haven't checked his AFL stats or his previous minor league stats but I lost a ton of money buying Ken Harvey cards when he had a good AFL season. I was just learning how to prospect at the time. I remember Chip Cannon having a good AFL year a couple of years back and he never did anything in the bigs.

Apr 6, 2011
Interesting... it sounds like if I want to make a couple bucks to sell if he has a hot start to next year, hopefully at AAA. If not, hold until a hot streak.... or simply hold forever. Obviously if he cracks the Yankee Line-up there will be some decent value. I figure since I got in quite early, and have a good sized collection, that even if he doesnt pan out I can sell and not be out too much. Seemed and still does seem like a solid investment for the price.

Just about every current modern card can be had for a cheaper price later... usually substantially cheaper.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
i think heathcott is a high risk gamble. he had issues injuries and others. tyler austin is my opinion of the next yankee hype baby. jmo
I think that T Austin ship has already sailed. Cards aren't super pricey, but not much of a bargain right now.

Next place to make money on a Yankee prospect: Greg Bird

Write it down. Dirt cheap right now (like, cheapest out there) and can flat out hit and seems to have quickly picked up 1B.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts