Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps 5 star design

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
The guy we are disagreeing with is a card shop owner too.

lmao. just sayin.

The people complaining aren't the people opening them. They're the people that CANT AFORD THEM lol. People that can afford them don't sweat the small stuff.

Last edited:

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
The guy we are disagreeing with is a card shop owner too.

But that card shop owner didn't sell the product, unless you guys are disagreeing with another shop owner. I think the point is if you were to ask the majority of collectors, not shop owners who sell the product, they probably are not big fans of the product because of all the different issues mentioned (price, value, quality control, redemptions, etc).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
lmao. just sayin.

The people complaining aren't the people opening them. They're the people that CANT AFORD THEM lol. People that can afford them don't sweat the small stuff.

Are you serious? Have you been reading the message boards, particularly the box break sections? It is so weird. It's almost like you're in some kind of weird Topps cult.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
But that card shop owner didn't sell the product, unless you guys are disagreeing with another shop owner. I think the point is if you were to ask the majority of collectors, not shop owners who sell the product, they probably are not big fans of the product because of all the different issues mentioned (price, value, quality control, redemptions, etc).

And here I thought all rocket scientists bought the stuff...

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Well since you asked.....

A $500 pack is not good for the hobby when nearly 100% of every other product (in the same sport) is niche.

Again, theres 23 baseball products & all but ONE alienates a large amount of potential customers.

Why issue an ultimate customer killer then? How many people can drop 500 on a pack?

If there were TRUE choices by topps, or if it came out in 2009 (when ud was around), id be fine with it.

And once you get srp this high, its incredibly hard to make it worthwhile to break. That leads to customer dissatisfaction.

Just take a look at the football card market. THAT is what the baseball market should be (to a point obviously)

Like I said, I don't have a market for $500 packs so I don't carry it BUT if I did, i'd cringe everytime someone cracks it & gets chipped cards, unprotected cards, redemptions galore & insanely low level autos for such a crazy srp.

You can ignore everything I said, but it is totally clear the hobby does not like this product.

theres nothing unique about this product, & for $500 there should be.

Theres nothing eye catching about the cards, and for $500 there should be.

Theres no quality with the cards, and for $500 there should be.

And theres a ton of redemptions, and for $500 there shouldn't be.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Well since you asked.....

A $500 pack is not good for the hobby when nearly 100% of every other product (in the same sport) is niche.

Again, theres 23 baseball products & all but ONE alienates a large amount of potential customers.

Why issue an ultimate customer killer then? How many people can drop 500 on a pack?

If there were TRUE choices by topps, or if it came out in 2009 (when ud was around), id be fine with it.

And once you get srp this high, its incredibly hard to make it worthwhile to break. That leads to customer dissatisfaction.

Just take a look at the football card market. THAT is what the baseball market should be (to a point obviously)

Like I said, I don't have a market for $500 packs so I don't carry it BUT if I did, i'd cringe everytime someone cracks it & gets chipped cards, unprotected cards, redemptions galore & insanely low level autos for such a crazy srp.

You can ignore everything I said, but it is totally clear the hobby does not like this product.

theres nothing unique about this product, & for $500 there should be.

Theres nothing eye catching about the cards, and for $500 there should be.

Theres no quality with the cards, and for $500 there should be.

And theres a ton of redemptions, and for $500 there shouldn't be.

With all due respect, I have 4 very good customers that spent a combined 4500 bucks on 9 packs of the stuff. I heard not 1 comment from them about anything on your rantlist.

I won't ignore you at all - it's safe to assume that you're all bent out of shape about the price, since "$500" is every single one of your rants. So you choose not to like 5-star based on cost/price/etc. It's nice that you're so concerned about your customers' finances, I can appreciate that. Customer killer? Niche cards? Gimme a break. The $100 boxes of 'niche" cards you have no issue selling all day long are no different than these. As for "eye catching" & "unique" - purely your opinion. I love the cards, and based on the oo's and ahhh's I heard during the breaks I'm fairly certain my customers like them too.

"the hobby" doesn't like the cards? That's comical. you need to open your mind a little & realize that not everyone can drive a Ferrari. There's a segment of 'the hobby" that thinks nothing of dropping half a grand on 6 cards.

Granted, the redemptions & quality control issues are issues. IMHO the reason for the condition issues is post-packout. The cards can & do shift around profusely in the oversized area they rest in within the box. Redemptions are due to lazy spoiled ballplayers that can't get-r-done on the golfcourse. People XXXXX about stickers & then they wonder why there's a plethora of redemptions on an all on-card issue. Blame the signers, not the manufacturer.

$500 packs are not new to the hobby. They're not bad for the hobby. The hobby will survive just fine. It sounds to me like you might be a little spent on "the hobby", no?

PS: I apologize for profiting on this dreadful issue by Topps.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I actually like the design of the cards, particularly the base.

On that note, I can't stand thick cards.

I agree with you. I don't see why anything without a thick chunk of memorabilia needs to be thick. It's nearly impossible to make a high grade card when each of the edges becomes a surface as well.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
How do you explain redemptions for cut cards or memorabilia cards in the product?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
These two cards sum it up perfectly.

One is from a $50 pack, the other $500 (and same pic as a bonus)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353291559178.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353291559178.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 61

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
If someone has the energy or the time, would love to see how many times topps has used the same photo for say a group of five random players for all their products this year. Do you think they even use photos from prior years?

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Wow those designs are so close on the game used and silver sigs its just sad. The use of the same pictures, same size GU, and silver on black topps should be ashamed of this. Its just the same set at a higher price.

Sep 11, 2009
If someone has the energy or the time, would love to see how many times topps has used the same photo for say a group of five random players for all their products this year. Do you think they even use photos from prior years?

Topps has used the same photo over multiple products for years now and also used the same photo for multiple years.
2004 Bowman 31fae44e-91b2-4ebd-aac6-ae8cfd179c41.jpg
2005 Bowman1e9885e3-62ad-462d-a455-26771745ac7a.jpg

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Topps has used the same photo over multiple products for years now and also used the same photo for multiple years.

Yeah, certainly nothing new. Lame, especially in the same year, but surprised it seems to come as a shock. Hell, refractor cards are the same damn photo, in the same set, but just with a different color border.
623721053_tp.jpg

th_61BGibsonFront1.jpg

I don't really understand the whole uproar over the Five Star in the first place. All of the complaints are nothing new at all, it's stuff that's been going on for years now, and nobody is holding a gun to anybodies head forcing them to buy it. Does that make it right? No, not at all. Well, the not holding a gun to their head is a good thing anyway. I just find it strange that there isn't a whole lot of hub bub about everything else but people are blowing their load over this.

Last edited:

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
I think the difference is that the higher priced a product is the more that is expected from it. I mean a person who buys a $5,000 tv probably expects more performance and quality then a $100 tv. Also I mean to have almost every card damaged really is inexcusable even for a $1 product.

Members online