Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thinking of going for graded. Who to choose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I was thinking of going for Graded cards. Out of all the companies, do you guys have a preference? Beckett? PSA? others? Do some hold a higher regard in the market than others?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Most will say BGS for modern, PSA for vintage and SGC for pre-war, but I am partial to PSA just because I like the slim design. Honestly, it can really sometimes come down to the specific card and what your needs are.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
Most will say BGS for modern, PSA for vintage and SGC for pre-war

To expand upon this a little, it seems as though PSA is also more popular for 90's inserts (maybe inserts in general?), while BGS is more popular for chrome autos, RC autos, etc. Not an expert but this is what I've noticed.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Most will say BGS for modern, PSA for vintage and SGC for pre-war, but I am partial to PSA just because I like the slim design. Honestly, it can really sometimes come down to the specific card and what your needs are.

Well said.

to the OP, give us more of what your focus would be with your slabs

BallCard_Blog

Jan 24, 2013
PSA and Beckett are the only ones I like. I won't buy a card if it's graded by another company. But that's just me.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I like PSA there thinner easier to store. depends on which cards your grading. mine are mostly 90's and they look super bad in a PSA case.

sawmillthug

Dec 21, 2012
Chillicothe, MO
I use the rule for modern cards of anything after 1995 BGS. Before is PSA. I'm sure there is a gray area there but I just can't seem to really want a 89 upper deck Griffey rc as a BGS 9.5. The PSA 10 is much nicer. And the contrary I would probably never buy a PSA 10 Bryce Harper Bowman Chrome auto. I would assume the auto graded poorly so they went the PSA route. Just my very unqualified answer.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I use the rule for modern cards of anything after 1995 BGS. Before is PSA. I'm sure there is a gray area there but I just can't seem to really want a 89 upper deck Griffey rc as a BGS 9.5. The PSA 10 is much nicer. And the contrary I would probably never buy a PSA 10 Bryce Harper Bowman Chrome auto. I would assume the auto graded poorly so they went the PSA route. Just my very unqualified answer.

Yeah, this is what most do, just create some imaginary line of time to distinguish eras for grading. Personally, I prefer anything before 2000 in a PSA slab, anything after in a BGS, and anything with an AUTO in a BGS for the grade. With obvious exceptions that tend to sell better based on the slab contrary to the point of contention being made. And my rule of thumb is for resale value only. If I am PC'ing a card (meaning I have no interest in selling in the near or far future) I prefer continuity in the PSA slab regardless the card. Mostly because they are space savers over BGS and I rarely if ever move them around. If I were constantly moving them, lugging from show to show, ect... I would prefer the added protection that a BGS slab offers, but sitting in a box, in the closet (with no intention to sell anytime soon) both BGS and PSA will protect equally well.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I was thinking of going for Graded cards. Out of all the companies, do you guys have a preference? Beckett? PSA? others? Do some hold a higher regard in the market than others?

To you or anyone else posting I'm sending some stuff out to PSA shortly, if you don't have a membership and want me to send, lmk

Ryan

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Ive been kicking around goin for Bagwells rookies, but graded 10s. I have stacks of rookies in my doubles box, but i dont feel any could draw a ten. So I figured I could go for em already graded. But I noticed so many different grade companies, I just wanted peoples opinions as to which graded cards I should shoot for.

Thanks for all the input btw...

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Ive been kicking around goin for Bagwells rookies, but graded 10s. I have stacks of rookies in my doubles box, but i dont feel any could draw a ten. So I figured I could go for em already graded. But I noticed so many different grade companies, I just wanted peoples opinions as to which graded cards I should shoot for.

Thanks for all the input btw...

I would definitely go with PSA considering he has registry set/player collectors.

Latest posts