Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone want 100k junk wax cards??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Customer came in today looking to sell some cards he had and obviously I told him to bring them in.

So he went to his car and proceeded to take out a hand cart and fill it up with boxes.

I had an idea what was in those ragged boxes and I was right.

Boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes of your typical junk wax cards of nearly all sports.

He told me he has like 100k cards all from this time frame which he found in a storage locker.

Needless to say, I declined to make him an offer and when I told him their "worth", he seemed a little surprised.

"But they are a quarter of a century old" he said.

This stuff will never disappear.

When he left, I wondered if he went to that warehouse in Detroit.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
My dad has about 10 of those $5 storage bins full of 150 ct. Boxes and binders worth of those for me to go thru.

I'm actually looking forward to it, but for now it just seems daunting. Gotta be about 100,000 of 'em though...

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
There are people out there like @junkwaxgems who have gone through 100k of the same year/brand looking for variations. After they are looked through and sets assembled, the rest need to find the trash at this point.

Ryan

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
There are people out there like @junkwaxgems who have gone through 100k of the same year/brand looking for variations. After they are looked through and sets assembled, the rest need to find the trash at this point.

Ryan
I believe I'm at a time in my life where my time is worth more than being spent sorting through '88 Topps.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If there is enough variety and a chance to find something interesting, I sometimes take a chance with staff like that, but you do need to factor in your time and the value you place on it.

I have always typically pulled out all of the good players from lots of cards, even junk era, but sometimes you get so many that you can stand to look through any more. A good rule of thumb for me is to pull the HOFers and any good fan favorite rookie cards and then the rest can be recycled! I think 1989 Donruss has to be my most hated junk set based on the number of boxes I have sifted through over the years.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
I donate to local schools and Salvation Army . I still have 500,000 sorted by teams and in alpha order .

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
1991 topps is one of the extremely few baseball junk wax singles which could realistically yield something of value due to errors.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Tzvih123

Feb 21, 2014
Long Island,NY

Ryan

Is there a fast way to assemble sets because it took me a long time just to do one 1989 Topps Spring Fever 792-card set.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Is there a fast way to assemble sets because it took me a long time just to do one 1989 Topps Spring Fever 792-card set.

I'm not saying I'd do either of these (look for variations or build sets), just meant I know those who do. And my point about the sets was, make complete sets(who ever owns the bulk), and trash/burn the rest.

Ryan

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
I destroy all out of focus , off centered, traded that I get , I won't even give those away . recently picked up 50,000 1990 Donruss ,these should go up in price - EVERYBODY THRASHES THOSE .. LOL
I sell / trade 1000 different cards of one team for the teams I need which is great for a kid that is just starting

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Goodwill and local Hospitals both usually take cards, especially in white boxes. They don't care about year, quantity, etc...

Jan 14, 2009

Ryan

I believe I'm at a time in my life where my time is worth more than being spent sorting through '88 Topps.

Nowadays, I can't sort through that kind of volume for time reasons. I'll do a quick thumb through to get a feel for what printing and packaging type and that tells me whether I need to sort further. Also, I don't believe that there is much to be discovered at this point, at least with the majority of junk wax products. For example, if I come across a 5000ct of 1988 Donruss, if in order, I'll check the Ray Knight and Nelson Liriano's cards (established tough variations) and skip the rest. Products like 1991 Topps, I will carve out small amounts of sort time for. Mostly in search of major variations on many hardcore Topps master set collectors' want lists. That kind of stuff pays for my time and then some but they are few and far between. Still, there are plenty of $5, $10, $20 items to pull from bulk junk era Topps lots so it's almost always never a loss in terms of the my time/monetary value equation.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
Nowadays, I can't sort through that kind of volume for time reasons. I'll do a quick thumb through to get a feel for what printing and packaging type and that tells me whether I need to sort further. Also, I don't believe that there is much to be discovered at this point, at least with the majority of junk wax products. For example, if I come across a 5000ct of 1988 Donruss, if in order, I'll check the Ray Knight and Nelson Liriano's cards (established tough variations) and skip the rest. Products like 1991 Topps, I will carve out small amounts of sort time for. Mostly in search of major variations on many hardcore Topps master set collectors' want lists. That kind of stuff pays for my time and then some but they are few and far between. Still, there are plenty of $5, $10, $20 items to pull from bulk junk era Topps lots so it's almost always never a loss in terms of the my time/monetary value equation.

thanks to numerous online blogs , articles , and forum posts , i'm very AWARE of many of the junk-wax era variations and i am always looking for them in any lots i pick up , but i'm NOT up to date on their typical market values as singles.....is there a handy (and preferably free) online resource that covers the actual realistic cash values one could expect to see (as both a buyer or seller) of these cards ?

Jan 14, 2009
thanks to numerous online blogs , articles , and forum posts , i'm very AWARE of many of the junk-wax era variations and i am always looking for them in any lots i pick up , but i'm NOT up to date on their typical market values as singles.....is there a handy (and preferably free) online resource that covers the actual realistic cash values one could expect to see (as both a buyer or seller) of these cards ?

Ebay completed listings and my own sales history (usually recalled in approximates) is all I have to go off of. But nearly all of my majorly rare variation sales go directly to private collectors as ebay doesn't have the same bidder activity as it used to.

I always price at the highest realistic price I could see and set my best offer for the lowest I am willing to accept. I factor in how often the variation comes up for sale, likelihood of seeing another copy, difficulty of obtaining, set type (Topps vs. Donruss, etc) and a set's appeal to master set collectors. If I have something that I know to be truly rare but it fails to sell several times at lowered price points, I will keep it. I have a collection of these types of variations. Generally, they sell poorly because people don't have catalog info or history on them and thus don't place much importance on them.

Members online

Latest posts