Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it wrong to cheer for A-Rod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Hope he hits 40 HRS with 125 RBI
the Yankees will still benefit from Arod if he breaks other records...
You don't think stadiums will sell out of he is about to break some more records?

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Not true. I'm sure if the topic was about other people they would mention them. but this topic is about A-Roid. A-Roid lied and cheated though many years of his baseball career. How can someone congratulate him for that? he is no different than others who use illegal drugs. I always ask this. What if your child came to you and said "Dad I use steroids" Would you say "way to go son"? I doubt it.

I've actually used steroids, I couldnt go and play baseball because of it. Plus he was a beast no matter what just like Bonds and Clemens. I really don't know y people care so much, I like 500 foot home runs, who does it cheat if someone is getting stronger and hitting more? I'm serious, that is the question I ask and never get a good answer to.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I've actually used steroids, I couldnt go and play baseball because of it. Plus he was a beast no matter what just like Bonds and Clemens. I really don't know y people care so much, I like 500 foot home runs, who does it cheat if someone is getting stronger and hitting more? I'm serious, that is the question I ask and never get a good answer to.

It cheats the clean pitcher who's era is going up because of the homer. And the clean opposing team who just got beaten by the cheating homerun

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ

Steroids that he took are against the law. And saying you like people to take illegal drugs to entertain you (with the 500 foot home runs) that is sad. The steroids you took im sure is a lot different that what he was taking. I too had steroids injected into my knee to help the muscle grow but a doctor gave it to me and was done legal. What he did was illegal.
You ask who does it cheat? maybe the real players that choose to be clean and not take illegal drugs to play ball. How about the young players looking up to these guys and are shooting this junk to be like and catch up to them because they cant afford the good stuff so they use the junk out there. A-Roid took a illegal drugs to give himself a advantage over other players that choose to not break the law.
but if you promote the use of illegal drugs well.. to each there own i guess

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Steroids that he took are against the law. And saying you like people to take illegal drugs to entertain you (with the 500 foot home runs) that is sad. The steroids you took im sure is a lot different that what he was taking. I too had steroids injected into my knee to help the muscle grow but a doctor gave it to me and was done legal. What he did was illegal.
You ask who does it cheat? maybe the real players that choose to be clean and not take illegal drugs to play ball. How about the young players looking up to these guys and are shooting this junk to be like and catch up to them because they cant afford the good stuff so they use the junk out there. A-Roid took a illegal drugs to give himself a advantage over other players that choose to not break the law.

From the majority of reports it's not like 50% of players were cheating in that era, it's more like 95% of players were juicing when he was. Ideally, of course there's no excuse for cheating and some of the greats of that generation were able to do just fine and avoid it. What you're saying is fair, but just keeping in mind the mental and physical toll that a baseball season takes and knowing how literally 9/10 guys are doing it it's hard for me to completely go to town on him.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
From the majority of reports it's not like 50% of players were cheating in that era, it's more like 95% of players were juicing when he was. Ideally, of course there's no excuse for cheating and some of the greats of that generation were able to do just fine and avoid it. What you're saying is fair, but just keeping in mind the mental and physical toll that a baseball season takes and knowing how literally 9/10 guys are doing it it's hard for me to completely go to town on him.

Oh im sure there are a lot of them doing it but 95% I just cant believe that. but for those who are caught i would never promote them and there drug useage. I would never insult or put down anyone for there actions i just could never stand behind and promote there ways.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Oh im sure there are a lot of them doing it but 95% I just cant believe that. but for those who are caught i would never promote them and there drug useage. I would never insult or put down anyone for there actions i just could never stand behind and promote there ways.

Agreed it's certainly not something I could promote. Overall I would love to see baseball be completely drug free even if that means 45 homer seasons, but if just so many guys were doing it then I just kind of have to give that era a pass from a fan perspective. HOF worthy is a whole different story, I'm very glad we have not give the vote to any known PED users yet and hope it stays that way.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA

I took anabolic steroids and had massive gains, I still couldn't hit a fastball to save my life. Perhaps we look at baseball differently, I love baseball a lot but if Alex caused a "clean" pitcher to not make it, to me it's not a big deal. Sports r just entertainment, just like actors taking steroids for a movie role, its just not that serious. Also if u enjoy music then there is a very good chance someone is using illegal drugs to entertain u

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I took anabolic steroids and had massive gains, I still couldn't hit a fastball to save my life. Perhaps we look at baseball differently, I love baseball a lot but if Alex caused a "clean" pitcher to not make it, to me it's not a big deal. Sports r just entertainment, just like actors taking steroids for a movie role, its just not that serious. Also if u enjoy music then there is a very good chance someone is using illegal drugs to entertain u

No one is claiming roids make you a player. But they do make you hit the ball farther if you already a good hitter. Mike Schmidt said it once if he was roiding think about all those balls he hit that landed right in front of the wall that would of been a home run if he was roiding. Steroids are serious. It is illegal and destroying people. Just look at Schwarzenegger.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
HOF numbers are HOF numbers. PED could be used to describe the "illegal" drugs players took in the 70s. Like Anthony said, steroids don't sutomatically make you awesome. Haters gon hate simply as that. If you don't hate on Arod it will be someone else it's just how we do as a society. He should 100% be a HOFer along with bonds

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
if Alex caused a "clean" pitcher to not make it, to me it's not a big deal. Sports r just entertainment, just like actors taking steroids for a movie role, its just not that serious.
Apples and oranges.

If steroid users caused clean pitchers to perform poorly or not make the Majors, then that affects players' lives, careers, salary and families forever.

If an actor is hired for a movie and uses steroids for role, it just makes him look more muscular and does not affect other people's lives.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
I will cheer for A-rod until he retires. Not just because he's a Yankee, but because he is one of the greatest players that I have ever seen play, along with Bonds, Clemens, etc. Steroids infiltrated the game far more than many out there would like to believe. And in the steroid era, guys like Bonds, A-Rod and Clemens were among the best and should be celebrated for being so. Sure A-Rod "lied" about it, but who hasn't tried to cover up something wrong or embarrassing they've done. I'd be willing to bet we all have. I'm not saying he's a saint, but he's human. And all of the guys who are championed as "clean," we will never really know for sure and it would be incredibly naive to have 0% doubt about anyone who played during this era. In my book these guys are sure-fire HOFers. If you want to have an asterisk for the "steroid" era, that's fine. But also have asterisks for the "greenies" era that Mays played and participated in, as well as any other era where the players did things that weren't quite "kosher" to gain advantages, which is basically every era of baseball. I'm sure PED's were/are just as pervasive throughout all other sports. It just became a big deal in baseball because of its place in America's history and the misguided "hallowed" nature of the records/game.

In terms of breaking records, I personally think all-time records are somewhat irrelevant if you look at them objectively. Especially in baseball given the amount of time it has been around and how significantly the game has changed between eras. Is Bonds the greatest HR hitter of all time? Would he have been if he didn't take steroids? I say it doesn't really matter. Judge the players by how they play against their peers.

Members online

Latest posts