Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Country Breakfast Heartache

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I was always a fan of Billy Butler. I didn't get caught up too much in the hype in 2005, but over the years I've picked up a few nice cards of his. Seeing him reach the Series last year was great, and was disappointed for him as the Royals got mowed down while Bumgarner pitched every inning of every game perfectly. Or at least that was the impression I was left with listening to Buck. So my heart goes out a little for him this year seeing what was essentially the same lineup win it all.

I'm sure there are loads of teams with long-time members, local heroes or big stars, who move on one way or another just a year too soon.

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
Nomar Garciaparra comes to mind. Traded at midseason 2004 before Boston won the World Series. Of course I am not sure if Boston would have won had they not traded Nomar for Orlando Cabrera, who could actually play the rest of the year.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
My other favorite is Frank Thomas, who spent 15 years being Frank Thomas before finally succumbing to injuries and was on the DL when they won the Series. Even though he only played 34 games that season, he had some amazing numbers, even for him. With only 124 PA, he had 12 homers and 3 2b, along with just 8 singles. A .590 SLG and 26 RBI. 31 Ks but 16 BBs, giving him an OBP almost 100 points higher than his BA. If you're going to have an immobile, slugging DH play as much as he can, those are the kinds of numbers you want to see. But I wonder if he could still play, how much he would have, and if his production could be anywhere near that value for the duration. Or if that value is even really conducive to winning.

tim carroll

Feb 15, 2009
Kind of like Peyton Manning leaving Tennessee after 4 years, only to watch Tee Martin lead the Vols to a National Championship the following year.

Members online