Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Am I the only one who absolutely DESPISES non-liscensed baseball cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Another card that was hotter than hot that has no MLB logo on it...
mark-mcgwire-rookie-card-value.jpg

What do you call the USA on his hat and uniform? I call it a logo.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You can get the same players in topps, panini, and in prospect cases leaf. What the MLB does with their logo/named property would be at their choosing. Topps holds its exclusivity but a very similar product is still available in the open market from a small number of outlets.
The players are the MLBPA. That has nothing to do with the team logo license, which Topps has the exclusive rights to, and is by definition, a monopoly of the team logo usage.
Usage of the players and the manufacturing of baseball cards themselves is an oligopoly. Usage of the logos is exclusive; Topps has a monopoly.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Topps has a monopoly, period.

If it weren't for NT this year, this conversation would be MUCH different. I was even enticed to jump into about a dozen breaks of this stuff. Then again, like I've said, everything was a hit and some super premium cards.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

The players are the MLBPA. That has nothing to do with the team logo license, which Topps has the exclusive rights to, and is by definition, a monopoly of the team logo usage.
Usage of the players and the manufacturing of baseball cards themselves is an oligopoly. Usage of the logos is exclusive; Topps has a monopoly.

If Chevrolet had an exclusive contract with MLB. Would they have a monopoly?

I'm old Greg

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
I dont have a problem with unlicensed cards, it just depends on how they are done. To me, cutoff hats and closeup shots > airbrushed hats and jerseys or plain clothes. I love what panini is doing and hope they can keep up the good work. Probably my favorite gu set of all time is NT. The player selection is great combined with tiers of different relics and I love the design of the card itself. My only complaints is lack of color photos and it would be cool to see the jersey number cutouts on some of the relics. My favorite gu set was 04 LCM fabric of the game but I think that NT has taken that top honor. I think NT is product of the year by a long shot.

You cant tell me these dont look good

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Can someone show me or back up any other non-licensed product release other than NT? Like I said, if it weren't for NT, this thread would be much different.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I dont have a problem with unlicensed cards, it just depends on how they are done. To me, cutoff hats and closeup shots > airbrushed hats and jerseys or plain clothes. I love what panini is doing and hope they can keep up the good work. Probably my favorite gu set of all time is NT. The player selection is great combined with tiers of different relics and I love the design of the card itself. My only complaints is lack of color photos and it would be cool to see the jersey number cutouts on some of the relics. My favorite gu set was 04 LCM fabric of the game but I think that NT has taken that top honor. I think NT is product of the year by a long shot.

You cant tell me these dont look good

Absolutely agreed across the board here with NT. Plus, in typical Panini fashion...they SPd a few of the more "common" guys to keep a solid chase going. The only frustrating thing is that a set is all but impossible with a few common jersey 1/1s. There are of course a few others with 5 or less...regardless...incredible selection of players.

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
Absolutely agreed across the board here with NT. Plus, in typical Panini fashion...they SPd a few of the more "common" guys to keep a solid chase going. The only frustrating thing is that a set is all but impossible with a few common jersey 1/1s. There are of course a few others with 5 or less...regardless...incredible selection of players.

Yep, they SPd the plain common jerseys of Gibson, Robin Roberts, and Ashburn to /1 and Musial /2. I know where the Roberts, Ashburn and one of the musials went so the base set is impossible.

What city does the USA...Stars? Are they the USA Stars? What city does Team USA derive from and which league are they a member of? #ImStumped
1. It CLEARLY states they are the 1984 USA Baseball Team... 2. The players are from various cities in the USA.... 3. They were playing for the USA in the Olympics, which is not a league, but an organization. See the links of posted of Carlos Correa...No logos anywhere on that card besides the Leaf logo

Members online

Latest posts