Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's the greatest play to save/preserve a no-hitter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
After google, Dewayne Wise's was the modern-day one I was trying to think of too.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I would pick Wise personally

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Ha, I totally forgot Bosio even threw one. Wise was the first I thought of as well. Sorry Hive, I always felt Yount dove for dramatic effect as opposed to necessity

jrosales

Mar 23, 2013
Dewayne Wise, and it's not even close. The next-best, whether it's Yount, Vizquel or Greer, isn't even in the same stratosphere as Wise.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Dewayne Wise, and it's not even close. The next-best, whether it's Yount, Vizquel or Greer, isn't even in the same stratosphere as Wise.

I was at the game, sitting down the third base line. With the arc of that ball, I thought it was 15 rows back. To this day, I have no idea how that ball came down, nor do I know how Wise caught it.

What I do know is that it was the greatest game I've ever attend and will ever attend. I saw Thome's 500th walkoff HR, the Sox in the World Series, Buehrle's first no-hitter, but nothing will ever compare to that day.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Ha, I totally forgot Bosio even threw one. Wise was the first I thought of as well. Sorry Hive, I always felt Yount dove for dramatic effect as opposed to necessity
Definitely looks like Yount didn't need to dive. He caught the ball before he started the dive. Definitely for dramatic effect. Still a nice catch but not close to the best.
Yup. Hit the nail on the head.

jrosales

Mar 23, 2013
Remove the perfect game element, and Wise's catch is most likely still one of the 10-15 best in MLB history. So it's easy to see how it's the clear winner here.

When I saw that catch on TV, I was initially impressed that he swatted the ball back in play, but I figured the PG was lost. When he used his concentration to keep the ball in his glove, however, my jaw dropped. There have been some nice catches in the outfield, but Wise just showed us all how cool he was able to remain under so much pressure. This is probably my favorite outfield catch ever.

Last edited:

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Talk about being biased, well I've got one to share...

Best play, and there always seems to be a critical play in a no-hitter, was when my high school SS made a diving play far to his left on a rocket of a ground ball right up the middle, just to my right (I was pitching.)

Not only did he sprint and dive fully outstretched to snare the ball and keep it from going into the outfield, but he threw a laser to first with his a$$ firmly planted on the ground to JUST get the guy sprinting down the line.

It was the first time my HS had beaten that particular other high school in ten years, we were told.

The kid who made the play was the most competitive athlete in school with me, and if there were anyone who wouldn't have wanted me to pitch a no-hitter, it was him. His baseball instincts took over though. That SS was the starting pitcher in game 2 of a double-header that Saturday, and though he thought he was the best pitcher in the state of NH, and thought himself much better than me, he didn't record a single out in the first inning and got pulled with us down 4-0 and a couple guys on base. We went on to win the game in the bottom of the 7th, which put us at 4-0 on the year. We went on to be undefeated that year (20-0) and NH State Champs.

I know, I know, it's not MLB, but still, the play is VERY vivid in my mind and truly saved my no-no.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Wise is the first one I thought of too, and should win.

But didn't Wright make a helluva catch to save Santana's No-No a few years back?

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Wise is the first one I thought of too, and should win.

But didn't Wright make a helluva catch to save Santana's No-No a few years back?

The big play in that one was Mike Baxter breaking his collarbone against the fence to make the catch

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
The big play in that one was Mike Baxter breaking his collarbone against the fence to make the catch

Coolio, thanks for the clarification!

I don't remember the specifics, but that's 'cuz it was the Mets, and I don't follow the Minor Leagues much...:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts