Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 Prospect Projections. Today: Arizona, Atlanta and Baltimore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Prospect Projections for 2017

Intro

Greetings, everyone. I’ve decided to project where every top 10 prospect, within each respective organization will begin and end the 2017 season! I thought this comprehensive project will be fun and rewarding. Just a few notes. 1.) The top 10 prospects are taken from Baseball America. 2.) All rankings DO NOT reflect trades. Ex. Moncada is still ranked under Boston. 3.) I’ve added one HELIUM prospect for each system, along with their projections. 4.) Please provide any questions, comments or feedback if you’d like! 5.) Enjoy!

Today:

Arizona Diamondbacks

1. Anthony Banda, LHP
Begins: AAA Reno
Ends: MLB

Analysis: The Diamondbacks have one of the worst MLB systems and pitching is scant. Banda will be promoted to the show at some point.

2. Dawel Lugo, 3B
Begins: AA Jackson

Analysis: After being named to the 40 man roster, it’s all but certain when Lugo gets promoted to the show. September is the most likely time.

3. Domingo Leyba, SS/2B

Analysis: Same as Lugo

4. Socrates Brito, OF
Begins: MLB

Analysis: Even though he hit .179 in his brief MLB stint, Brito has great defensive ability to serve as Arizona’s 4th outfielder in 2017.

5. Jazz Chisholm, SS
Begins: Extended then Hillsboro (Short)
Ends: Hillsboro (Short)

Analysis: Chisholm has future utility written all over him, but he only played in Rookie ball last season.

6. Anfernee Grier, OF
Begins: Extended then Hillsboro
Ends: Low A Kane County

Analysis: Grier was handed $1.5 mil to sign due to his speed, but he’s incredibly raw

7. Taylor Clarke, RHP
Ends: AAA Reno

Analysis: Clarke went from Low-A to AA in 2016. He’s not on the 40 man roster, but he has ceiling to force the D’Backs to promoting him to AAA.

8. Brad Keller, RHP
Begins: High-A Visalia
Ends: AA Jackson

Analysis: Keller had a rough go in the hitter friendly California League, but he will be ready for AA after a few starts.

9. Jon Duplantier, RHP
Begins: Kane County
Ends: High-A Visalia

Analysis: Even though he only threw one inning for Hillsboro, Duplantier is a 3rd round college arm. He should move quickly, but needs innings.

10. Curtis Taylor, RHP
Begins: Kane County
Ends: AA Jackson

Analysis: Like Duplantier, Taylor could move quickly and is more likely to reach AA due to being a fresh college arm.

HELIUM :

11.) Ryan January, C
Begins: Low-A Kane County
Ends: High-A Visalia

Analysis: January hit 10 homers for the Hops last season with a .197 ISO. That raw power could force the D’Backs to push the 18 year old fast.

Atlanta Braves

1. Dansby Swanson, SS
Begins: MLB

Analysis: Swanson has the potential to be a .280-.290 hitter this season.

2. Ozzie Albies, SS
Begins: AAA Gwinnett

Analysis: The Braves have been grooming Albies to play up the middle with Swanson. The promotion is inevitable.

3. Kolby Allard, LHP
Begins: High-A Florida
Ends: AA Mississippi

Analysis: The Double-A projection might be a stretch, but Allard has all of the tools necessary to handle an aggressive assignment by season’s end.

4. Mike Soroka, RHP

Analysis: Like Allard, Soroka has all of the intangibles. However, Soroka’s control is impeccable and if he repeats his impressive 2016, Soroka will be in Double-A by midseason.

5. Ian Anderson, RHP
Begins: Low-A Rome
Ends: Low-A Rome

Analysis: Anderson will spend all year in Rome. He’s fresh out of high school, so the Braves will move him along slowly due to the wealth of advanced pitching talent in the system.

6. Ronald Acuna, OF

Analysis: Acuna has the most ceiling in the system, to go along with 5 tool potential. Expect him to move quickly if he repeats 2016.

7. Kevin Maitan, SS
Begins: Extended, then GCL Braves
Ends: Danville (Rookie)

Analysis: Maitan will finish with Danville and attempt to cement his prospect hype. He’s still very young with raw tools.

8. Sean Newcomb, LHP
Begins: AA Mississippi
Ends: AAA Gwinnett

Analysis: Newcomb since coming over from LA has good stuff, but if he’s going to be a big leaguer his control and command must improve.

9. Patrick Weigel, RHP

Analysis: Weigel flew through the system in 2016, beginning with Rome and ending in AA. With an invite to spring training, the Braves like him a lot and could force his way to Atlanta.

10. Max Fried, LHP
Ends: High-A Florida

Analysis: The Firefrogs rotation will feature Allard, Soroka, Toussaint and Fried. Expect the latter to stay in the FSL all season, due to lost development time.

HELIUM :

11. Matt Withrow, RHP
Ends: AAA Gwinnett

Analysis: Surprise, surprise. Another pitcher. Withrow isn’t overpowering, but he had more than a K per inning last year for Carolina. He must cut down on the walk rate, though.

Baltimore Orioles

1. Chance Sisco, C
Begins: AAA Norfolk

Analysis: One of the best hitting catchers, Sisco is close to MLB ready.

2. Cody Sedlock, RHP
Begins: Low-A Delmarva
Ends: AA Bowie

Analysis: The Orioles are notorious for being aggressive and ruining their pitching prospects. I’d expect Sedlock to be no different.

3. Ryan Mountcastle, SS
Begins: High-A Frederick
Ends: High-A Frederick

Analysis: Mountcastle is a good all around prospect, but in order to reach AA in 2017; he must rake.

4. Hunter Harvey, RHP
Begins: Disabled List
Ends: Arizona Fall League

Analysis: Havey will miss all of 2017 due to Tommy John surgery. He might get some AFL innings to prepare for 2018.

5. Trey Mancini, 1B

Analysis: After an impressive showing in his brief MLB stint, expect Mancini to return to Norfolk.

6. Keegan Akin, LHP

Analysis: Akin has some of the best ceiling in the system. If the Orioles develop him as a reliever, he could reach AA instead. For now, he has all the tools to be a starter.

7. Austin Hays, OF

Analysis: Hays destroyed NYPL pitching last summer. He’s most likely a future 4th outfielder, but the Orioles can take their time developing him.

8. Jomar Reyes, 3B
Ends: AA Bowie

Analysis: Reyes took a major step back in 2016. If he makes adjustments, there’s no doubt he can reach AA.

9. Chris Lee, LHP

Analysis: Lee is on the 40 man roster, so his promotion is inevitable. He’s not a big K guy, but he gets people out in typical reliever fashion.

10. Tanner Scott, LHP
Begins: AA Bowie
Ends: AAA Norfolk

Analysis: Scott had an awful 2016. His K per 9 ratio is a career 11.38, so there’s room for optimism.

HELIUM :

11. Garrett Cleavinger, LHP
Ends: AAA Norfolk

Analysis: After blowing away Low-A hitters, Cleavinger struggled at High-A with control. If he can iron that out, his fastball-curve combo is good enough for an aggressive promotion by season’s end.

Last edited:

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
I think this is pretty cool of you. I look forward to the next batch of teams. Opinions on Chase De Jong a pitcher in Dodgers organization? Ok, I will wait until posted. Lol

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Love your analysis of the Braves system and agree with just about all your projections. The only one that I have differing thoughts over is Fried. I think he'll fly through the system now that he's fully healthy and based on his age + how well he pitched in those final 5 games of the season/postseason. I think him reaching the majors in September might be a stretch but I do expect him to finish the season in AA or AAA.

This is a great idea, keep it going with the rest of the systems if you have the time.

Members online

Latest posts