Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I am soooooo stupid...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Went to my LCS today for some supplies. I succumbed to my impulse and bought a box of Gypsy Queen. The stupid part is not looking up current box prices on BO. BO has hobby boxes for $90/ea right now. I paid $135.

As my punishment for being dumb I pulled base autos of Freddie Freeman
mad.gif
and James Shields.
mad.gif
mad.gif

My relics were Mini Framed of Nolasco and a Jumbo Black of Chris Sale /25.

Please tell me I am not the only idiot to ever do this. Feel free to slam me for being a moron and not doing my homework!!

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
For $135 you didn't do so well. But in reality, those were some really nice hits. The jumbo relics were selling really well (not sure if they still are). Freeman is $20 auto...Shields $10...

If you take the time to break down the box, you could get your money back depending on what mini's and SP's you pulled.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
That box is better than all the boxes I've sold of this XXXX.

you paid too much but got star autos regardless of their sell price.

Another crap topps issue

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Honestly, I did not buy the box to try and make money. I simply bought on impulse hoping for a cool hit. I really love the look of the cards. I don't mind paying a little more than online, but not 50% more!!

Logan2500

May 21, 2012
PA
I usually get one for my birthday in July. My parents usually get my LCS owner to around $100. They sell them for $120.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Just remember, every time you buy from BO, an LCS owner loses his business. You did your part to keep him open for 3 more hours.

HAHA... this is somewhat true

That box is better than all the boxes I've sold of this XXXX.

you paid too much but got star autos regardless of their sell price.

Another crap topps issue

This post made me laugh.

Echo the others...you actually did OK.

When referring to how you do on a break, I use the term "OK" as the same as "average" or "expected" and for me, that's making back 50% of your buy-in after selling off or PCing everything. I guess that's the gamblign aspect of the hobby now adays.

[MENTION=4998]Gonzaleznut[/MENTION] - I think you caught teeth personally. Which store did you go too? Nicks? Anyways, I bet 99 out of a 100 times, you'll never get a better price at a LCS than what you can get on BO, so it's not even worth looking it up if you're already caught in the trape of buying product at a LCS. Sorry to all the shop owners but you just can't compete. I do it all the time... I go to the LCS to get some things and ALWAYS end up buying a pack for $30-50 of something nice and get nothing in return and then slap myself for even doing it. Such is life.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Yeah you should have known better than to buy wax in DFW. While I agree the impulse purchase is a lot more fun than waiting for a box to arrive from an online seller. When your paying almost double the going rate its not worth it. All of the shops are great here in DFW but I think the distributors are part of the high cost of wax, or the shops can charge what they want for boxes and still be in business (most have been around 10-20 plus years) because they have enough collectors who will pay whatever they want to charge.

I prefer SMP in Grapevine because he will hook me up sometimes on his prices and from what I have heard Triple Cards in Plano has some of the best prices on wax in the area. But we both know its probably quicker to wait for an online purchase than try and drive to Plano from Ft Worth.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yeah you should have known better than to buy wax in DFW. While I agree the impulse purchase is a lot more fun than waiting for a box to arrive from an online seller. When your paying almost double the going rate its not worth it. All of the shops are great here in DFW but I think the distributors are part of the high cost of wax, or the shops can charge what they want for boxes and still be in business (most have been around 10-20 plus years) because they have enough collectors who will pay whatever they want to charge.

I prefer SMP in Grapevine because he will hook me up sometimes on his prices and from what I have heard Triple Cards in Plano has some of the best prices on wax in the area. But we both know its probably quicker to wait for an online purchase than try and drive to Plano from Ft Worth.

Let's all meet up at the McKinney show tomorrow. I heard it's small but what the hell. Hope there is one Belle card sitting in a case I need lol

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I have thought about going but its so damn far and my wife always finds something for me to do on Saturday :-(
I have some Rangers autos I want to sell so someday I will make it to one of the shows and set up a table.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have thought about going but its so damn far and my wife always finds something for me to do on Saturday :-(
I have some Rangers autos I want to sell so someday I will make it to one of the shows and set up a table.

Ahhh... yea it's pretty far for me as well, clearly because I live in Victory Park but if I have nothing going on I'll swing by. Odds are it'll be like last time and I'll go for 30 minutes, have some good conversations, find nothing to buy and go home empty handed lol.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I live on 35 in Keller so its an hour drive.
They have had a couple of shows here in Ft Worth but I missed them, another one is in July, how far is Richardson from you I see there is one coming up pretty soon.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I live on 35 in Keller so its an hour drive.
They have had a couple of shows here in Ft Worth but I missed them, another one is in July, how far is Richardson from you I see there is one coming up pretty soon.

I live downtown, literally above the AAC, in the Cirque. McKinney show will probably take me 35-40 minutes (plus tolls lol)... Richardson is much closer... I don't mind driving around the metroplex as long as I don't have a lot of other sh!t to do. My wife is out of town this weekend, so I have a lot of free time to jump around, which is why I'll probably make the trip up there to that show.

What is this show you're talking about though... big?

Members online