Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ryan Braun suspended for rest of season

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I really feel bad for collectors like you. I don't want to think about how I'd react if it was Omar. I might change my collecting habits or might be more apt to part with it at some point. More than anything I think it'd change my opinion about his legacy and any chance he had to make the HOF.

Sucks... sorry this happened. :(

I have one (or more) of every 1994 issue of Alex Rodriguez I know how he feels. However it's much easier keeping the Holoview Red in the master set instead of the safety deposit box - looks better there anyway.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Can spend and choose to spend are two different things. Don't blame teams who put the cash on the field as opposed to their pockets. Besides this topic was about a liar and a cheat, lets get back on subject.

It's just a certain level of selective outrage, when we cry about fairness; and this issue has as much to do with "fairness" as anything, hence your referencing lying and cheating, which rebuke a fair game. And you know as well as everyone that there are limits to what certain teams can spend, regardless of what they would "choose". Don't be obtuse.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Empathy?

Despite him probably deserving it, I still feel empathy for those who make mistakes.

I mean lets be honest here, he did not kill anyone, he took some PED's...

He did not make a mistake. He chose to lie and cheat. Sure, PED's are not like murder, as you say. But did he make a mistake? No. It was 100% intentional cheating.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Braun has to forfeit his remaining salary for the 65-game suspension, so it basically amounts to a $3.25 million fine.

Braun is baseballs lance Armstrong. Except for dumping a girlfriend with cancer.. That hurts to type!!

My issue isn't the story but the treatment of the story! Did you know Von miller tested positive? That's 50% of the last 4 defensive rookies of the year who have dirty piss tests. Of course you didn't know because the media will hammer this negative down baseball fans throats and run positives about the nfl.

How rgiii is ok to practice and tony romo having a new role are ahead of the miller story on yahoo.. Super.. Yet there are 4 articles on Brauns suspension.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
He did not make a mistake. He chose to lie and cheat. Sure, PED's are not like murder, as you say. But did he make a mistake? No. It was 100% intentional cheating.

This page:

mis·take X(m-stk)
n.
1. An error or fault resulting from defective judgment, deficient knowledge, or carelessness.
2. A misconception or misunderstanding.

I am fairly sure lying and cheating is a form of defective judgement and severe carelessness with regards to context here. Either way, i am ok with thoes who need to see this as something more severe, and i agree Braun is a scumbag for lying and cheating, it still does not keep me from being empathetic to anothers msfortune.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My issue isn't the story but the treatment of the story! Did you know Von miller tested positive? That's 50% of the last 4 defensive rookies of the year who have dirty piss tests. Of course you didn't know because the media will hammer this negative down baseball fans throats and run positives about the nfl.
Apples and oranges.
Braun is one of baseball's most famous players and is usually voted by fans to start the All-Star game.
Only diehard football fans know who Von Miller is.
Plus he's a linebacker, so many people aren't surprised when a giant muscular guy is accused of PEDs.
Kind of like when wrestlers use steroids. No one cares because they just assume they use them anyway.

Of course Braun is big news. He's famous and popular, and made bigger news when he beat the system last time.
One of baseball's biggest stars is suspended for 65 games and that's not supposed to overshadow Von Miller's suspension? (which by the way, has been on Sportscenter plenty of times.)

And you're saying the media doesn't report negative NFL news?
Ever hear of a little case happening now called the Aaron Hernandez murder investigation?

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Apples and oranges.
Braun is one of baseball's most famous players and is usually voted by fans to start the All-Star game.
Plus he's a linebacker, so many people aren't surprised when a giant muscular guy is accused of PEDs.
Kind of like when wrestlers use steroids. No one cares because they just assume they use them anyway.

Of course Braun is big news. He's famous and popular, and made bigger news when he beat the system last time.
One of baseball's biggest stars is suspended for 65 games for cheating and lying and that's not bigger than freaking Von Miller?

Ever hear of a little case happening now called the Aaron Hernandez murder investigation?

Don't think it's fair to compare murder with PED's. I don't think there is any way to deny the fact that baseball has become the whipping boy for PED's even though it is an issue (likely a bigger issue) in other sports. When articles came out the week before the Super Bowl about Ray Lewis taking something, people gave it no attention. When it is a baseball player it is huge news. And Von Miller is one of the best defensive players in the game, it's not like he's the Melky Cabrera of the NFL. (Oh wait, even Melky Cabrera was big news...)

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Apples and oranges.

One of baseball's biggest stars is suspended for 65 games for cheating and lying and that's not bigger than freaking Von Miller?

This

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
Braun is a scumbag. He says that the "truth" prevailed one year ago and NOW he's seen the error of his ways?

The only reason he accepted the suspension NOW was so he could come back next year when his injuries are all gone. Don't give him any kind of credit for "coming clean" he made a calculated ********* move. AND his salary goes up 1.5 million next year so he wants the 65 game pay deduction taken from this year.

Last edited:

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Braun is a scumbag. He says that the "truth" prevailed one year ago and NOW he's seen the error of his ways?

The only reason he accepted the suspension NOW was so he could come back next year when his injuries are all gone. Don't give him any kind of credit for "coming clean" he made a calculated ********* move. AND his salary goes up 1.5 million next year so he wants the 65 game pay deduction taken from this year.

This is exactly what I was thinking. He'll make more money next year, so he's essentially saving himself money by taking the suspension right now. Not to mention Milwaukee has no chance of making it to the postseason. He's 'coming clean' to save himself money. I wish MLB would institute a policy that allows teams to negate contracts when this happens. The NFL has no guaranteed contracts which allowed to Buccaneers to void the mega deal they signed Eric Wright to when he was suspended for his positive Aderall test. MLB teams have no recourse and those PEDs earned Braun his MVP and mega contract. MLB should make it so teams can void these mega deals after a PED suspension and the player must play for league minimum for whatever service time he has accrued up to that point. Look at Melky Cabrera, he uses, gets suspended and Toronto gives him a huge contract. So he essentially profited from the cheating, even with the 50 game suspension last year. What is the incentive for a player not to cheat if cheating is what allows them to make MORE money? They need to address this or else it will continue to happen.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
That bad taste that's been in my mouth since the 2012 harlequin press conference finally got rinsed out. We all knew he very likely took something (except maybe [MENTION=3231]brauny[/MENTION] ) but the cockiness doesn't play too well here in the Midwest. Believe me there are a LOT of Brewers fans smiling tonight, though at the same time angered by the way this attention has been brought to this already XXXXty team with a sub-par history

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
POS- I actually defended the guy & believed him.

He said he bet his life that never entered his body.

How about the next best thing - retire and forfeit that $117 million you loser.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Braun is baseballs lance Armstrong. Except for dumping a girlfriend with cancer.. That hurts to type!!

How rgiii is ok to practice and tony romo having a new role are ahead of the miller story on yahoo.. Super.. Yet there are 4 articles on Brauns suspension.

Completely agree, not to mention the reason RG3 is probably back so early is because he is taking some form of PED.

Anyway, on the Braun story I am glad it is over. Fans and the team can start to move forward. I get why some are calling him a lying scumbag, but what was he supposed to do? I am sure his legal team pointed out the loophole and he went along with it. Once he won his appeal what was he supposed to say at the press conference? I would say 100% of the members of this forum would have a very hard time coming clean if they were put in that situation.

Again, not trying to say what he did was right, but I just like to look in the mirror before I start calling someone a lying scumbag.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
And Von Miller is one of the best defensive players in the game, it's not like he's the Melky Cabrera of the NFL. (Oh wait, even Melky Cabrera was big news...)

To be fair, Melky was leading the league in hitting and was recently the all-star game mvp

chuckbartowski

Jan 2, 2009
The video from a year ago can be compared to Lance Armstrong's scene in Dodge Ball...that scene has a hole new level of awkwardness now when you watch it.

jpruitt2

Aug 11, 2008
Searcy, Arkansas
I wish MLB would get to a point in time at which these people are banned for life from the game. I'm not talking about someone who tests positive after taking some type of over the counter caugh medicine or something like that. I'm talking about the player's who knowingly sought out these clinics (Balco, Biogenesis, etc) and "doctors" to help them get an advantage. Players like Braun, Bonds, ARod and others.

I do not feel bad for any of them. In my opinion they all are POS and there should never be a place for them in MLB. I wish that since Braun will play again in the future and get to keep the 100+ million dollar contract, that he would have to forfit most of it and have to give it to the guy who's life he ruined.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.