Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

And I thought Yadi was a future hall of Famer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here's an insane fact that shows how little Hall of Fame voters value catchers.

Only three catchers who have played in the past 50 years have made the Hall of Fame.

Johnny Bench
Carlton Fisk
Gary Carter

And a lot of people argued that Gary Carter was a borderline candidate.

Only 3 catchers who have played in the past half-century!
How is that even possible?

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Do people think Yadi never touched the juice??

All I know...

He had three seasons in the middle of the "Ryan Braun era" that stick out like a bad neck tattoo.

Those three seasons were the only time he reached a oWAR above 2.0....+2.0 would inidicate a "starter" level performance. I don't want guys like that in my version of a HOF.

Last edited:

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
All I know...

He had three seasons in the middle of the "Ryan Braun era" that stick out like a bad neck tattoo.

Those three seasons were the only time he reached a oWAR above 2.0....+2.0 would inidicate a "starter" level performance. I don't want guys like that in my version of a HOF.

That is interesting, i never pictured him as a juice guy but I'm not anti steroid guys in the HOF. I think he'll go because he played in St Louis and all the team success they had with him behind the plate...Posey is better though

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
As much as it pains me as a Cubs fan, I have to admit at the fact that Molina is possibly the greatest catcher of our era. Posey is also a good choice, but as of today I would pick Molina as my top catcher.

His defensive level I would describe as the Ozzie Smith of catchers. He is that good. I'm not saying he is as good as Ozzie defensively, but he is that good at his position.

The fact that any rotation that the cardinals have thrown to him he has turned into winners s amazing. Lance Lynn, anybody? This is his greatest ability to me.

I vote yes for Yadi for HOF, given he can continue for at least 3-4 years or more.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Here's an insane fact that shows how little Hall of Fame voters value catchers.

Only three catchers who have played in the past 50 years have made the Hall of Fame.

Johnny Bench
Carlton Fisk
Gary Carter

And a lot of people argued that Gary Carter was a borderline candidate.

Only 3 catchers who have played in the past half-century!
How is that even possible?

"We have absolutely no idea"

-relief pitchers

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
That is interesting, i never pictured him as a juice guy but I'm not anti steroid guys in the HOF. I think he'll go because he played in St Louis and all the team success they had with him behind the plate...Posey is better though

I would put. Barry Lamar Bonds in my HOF. I'd even put David Ortiz in my HOF.

I'm sorry but offense will always be sexier than defense and it's just the way it is.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Guys with HIGHER career WAR:

Jason Heyward
Shane Victorino
Alex Gordon
Jhonny Peralta
Aramis Ramirez
Victor Martinez
Russell Martin
Jose Bautista
Ryan Zimmerman
Hanley Ramirez

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
Guys with HIGHER career WAR:

Jason Heyward
Shane Victorino
Alex Gordon
Jhonny Peralta
Aramis Ramirez
Victor Martinez
Russell Martin
Jose Bautista
Ryan Zimmerman
Hanley Ramirez

I get all that but I think it's important to compare against the same position. You have a solid point with Martin and Martinez possibly, but again...

Ask any manager who thy would rather have at catcher from the last 10 years, and it would be either Posey or Molina.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Yadi is a very good player, probably in the top 25 to play that position. Don't think he will get the votes needed to get in.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Catchers such as Boone and Sundberg were better defensively and comparable offensively, so I would have to say he does not make it into the HOF.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Thurman Munson was a better overall catcher and had no chance at the Hall of Fame.
1 MVP, 3 top 7 finishes, several consecutive Gold Gloves and All Star appearances, 2 World Series championships and a .373 avg. in 3 World Series.

He was second to Johnny Bench as a catcher during the '70s, and his career and life were cut short after 11 seasons because of a plane crash.

Despite Munson's offensive and defensive stats, his fame as a great Yankee and champion and a tragic death, he still had no chance at the Hall of Fame.

HOF voters just hate catchers for some reason.
Molina has absolutely no shot.

Last edited:

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Thurman Munson was a better overall catcher and had no chance at the Hall of Fame.
1 MVP, 3 top 7 finishes, several consecutive Gold Gloves and All Star appearances, 2 World Series championships and a .373 avg. in 3 World Series.

He was second to Johnny Bench as a catcher during the '70s, and his career and life were cut short after 11 seasons because of a plane crash.

Despite Munson's offensive and defensive stats, his fame as a great Yankee and champion and a tragic death, he still had no chance at the Hall of Fame.

HOF voters just hate catchers for some reason.
Molina has absolutely no shot.

Ted Simmons was the second best catcher in the 1970's, IMO.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ted Simmons was the second best catcher in the 1970's, IMO.
Offensively, you have a good case. But not overall, which includes defense, the most imsportant part of being a catcher.

Defensively, Simmons was considered slow and clumbsy. He led the NL in passed balls three times in the '70s and was considered a liability behind the plate at times.

Simmons was an excellent hitter and really underrated, but not a great defensive catcher, like Molina, Bench and Munson.
So his overall value as a catcher is not as high.

Members online

Latest posts