Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Matt Kemp to Padres ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Kemp was inconsistent and has never been good offensively for s significant stretch of time since his huge year.

In my mind, I think Kemp with his ankle issue has been a big reason he's struggled in recent times and think maybe his solid 2nd half last year means his ankle was finally feeling good or he had more confidence in what he could do without worrying about a setback.

I'll go have to listen to tonight's Dodgertalk and see if Skip thinks Kemp was traded because his value is higher now or maybe the Dodgers know his ankle might be a problem for the rest of his career and will have problems staying in the lineup.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Looks like I may be seeking a bunch of new autographs for my Dodger auto collection now…still haven't got all of the old players yet (Puig and Urias are two that are still eluding me at "my" prices)!! Maybe some will be flipper or will not make the club...

Puig cards haven't fallen off at all?

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
don't like this trade one bit as a Dodgers fan. Grandal is fine, but why the rush to get rid of Kemp? he was a beast in the 2nd half of last year, looked healthy, fixed his batting stance. unless the Dodgers flip the other Padres prospects soon for an SP I don't get the urgency of not waiting through the winter and seeing if a market materializes for Ethier or Crawford who pretty I would much rather move.

curiously not sure why the Padres feel the need to take on $75m in salary now. I don't think they are close to contending.

Ethier and Crawford virtually have no trade value.Dodgers couldn't find a sucker.Padres have money to spend, and can't attract FA power hitters.So Kemp makes sense.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Not enough. He is one of those guys who I just marvel at with his demand continuing to outweighing supply. I mean strictly statistically speaking, his value should be nowhere near what it is now.

165 hits, 92 R, 16 HR, 69 RBI, .296 AVG

That is not a superstar stat line by any means!! I realize he is only 23 and the upside potential is definitely there, but still…his signature cards are not scarce either, but the hype is driving the prices.

Thanks to baseball-reference, I picked a "similar" player at 23 years, Nick Markakis. I suppose there is hope that I will get one soon...

191, 97, 23, 112, .300

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Not enough. He is one of those guys who I just marvel at with his demand continuing to outweighing supply. I mean strictly statistically speaking, his value should be nowhere near what it is now.

165 hits, 92 R, 16 HR, 69 RBI, .296 AVG

That is not a superstar stat line by any means!! I realize he is only 23 and the upside potential is definitely there, but still…his signature cards are not scarce either, but the hype is driving the prices.

Thanks to baseball-reference, I picked a "similar" player at 23 years, Nick Markakis. I suppose there is hope that I will get one soon...

191, 97, 23, 112, .300

Yeah, many thought Markakis was going to be a stud.Just didn't happen.

WaxPax

11:05am:*The holdup in the trade is that Kemp’s physical revealed arthritis in both hips,*tweets USA Today’s Bob Nightengale. The Padres are consulting with medical experts before determining how to proceed.

This could get interesting....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Freedom Card Board mobile app

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
I can't believe the padres leaked specific information regarding kemps physical. That's a huge no-no...and not just because of the hippa implications. Preller is really making a splash in his first offseason.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I can't believe the padres leaked specific information regarding kemps physical. That's a huge no-no...and not just because of the hippa implications.

when you are talking about active professional athletes, I think hippa gets minimized. It's common to find out athlete *** is suffering from medical issue or condition yyy and was sitting out or placed on a disabled list, etc. I think hippa rules seem stronger for pro athletes when they are retired.

as for the kemp deal, it looks like the Padres thought the arthritis issue is liveable as the deal was approved.

Members online