Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wow, what a sale. $10,000 for a Jeter '98 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary Refractor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Nice card, but I would rather have the 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold/30 graded PSA or BGS Gem Mint for probably much less than $10,000. At least it's from his rookie season and actually says Rookie on it.

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I sent over the info to beckett, hopefully they run stories about it online and in the magazine.

It would be to their advantage to do so, bring a little extra life and excitement to a XXXXing boring Topps year.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

Not all of it. There's a few big time buyers here. Besides, even with the Asian market...these prices are absurd. And were 90's cards heavily released or collected in Asia? I know Jordan is a global phenomenon but from what I've seen and heard, Kobe is a bigger name overseas. So I can see his stuff going higher. But there are some other players and sets/parallels in general that are getting crazy money. I have a hard time believing its just collectors.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Not all of it. There's a few big time buyers here. Besides, even with the Asian market...these prices are absurd. And were 90's cards heavily released or collected in Asia? I know Jordan is a global phenomenon but from what I've seen and heard, Kobe is a bigger name overseas. So I can see his stuff going higher. But there are some other players and sets/parallels in general that are getting crazy money. I have a hard time believing its just collectors.

It boils down to what we said with overseas, people pay more here in US because they need to. I think it's that simple. I sold a few dozen or so BK cards (on and off) over the last 2 weeks, 75% overseas or to end up there as they are shipped to a relative in CA then transferred.

Ryan

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
It boils down to what we said with overseas, people pay more here in US because they need to. I think it's that simple. I sold a few dozen or so BK cards (on and off) over the last 2 weeks, 75% overseas or to end up there as they are shipped to a relative in CA then transferred.

Ryan

I'll take your word for it. I mean, to be honest, I'm flabbergasted with what Juan Gonzalez cards and Will Clark cards go for. If people want to pay that kind of money for cards that may not be all that rare, whatever. The Jeter is rare. But I've seen Jordan inserts #'d to /150 and they sell for insane amounts. Sometimes I just don't understand the hobby, even after it's been explained to me. And an Anfernee Hardaway card selling for $4,000?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'll take your word for it. I mean, to be honest, I'm flabbergasted with what Juan Gonzalez cards and Will Clark cards go for. If people want to pay that kind of money for cards that may not be all that rare, whatever. The Jeter is rare. But I've seen Jordan inserts #'d to /150 and they sell for insane amounts. Sometimes I just don't understand the hobby, even after it's been explained to me. And an Anfernee Hardaway card selling for $4,000?

I didn't say I understand it ;) I don't k or the actual final selling price of the Flair 1/1 Penny Hardaway, but it once ended at 77,000, no idea what it actually sold for and traded hands at, but it is nuts.

Ryan

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I didn't say I understand it ;) I don't k or the actual final selling price of the Flair 1/1 Penny Hardaway, but it on e ended at 77,000, no idea what it actually sold for and traded hands at, but it is nuts.

Ryan
Waitttttttt... Whoa waitttttttt... $77,000?!?!?!?! No F way

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
As for the basketball madness, I wonder whats really driving the market. I know basketball is popular but in a sense, it's almost as if a few really rich people are willing to way over pay on everything. I don't think the market is all it seems to be. Something is up but what, I really don't know...
It's big in China...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Dec 18, 2008
I didn't say I understand it ;) I don't k or the actual final selling price of the Flair 1/1 Penny Hardaway, but it once ended at 77,000, no idea what it actually sold for and traded hands at, but it is nuts.

Ryan

That card was 100% shilled...the card is probably worth $10k-$15k at the very best, it was easy to see it was shilled...I mean the same issue Kobe wouldn't even sell for that much and the Jordan would be just above that amount...no way Hardaway is worth anywhere near that...Hardaway does have a loyal fan base in the card collecting community for whatever reason, but it's just not a valid auction whatsoever...

Basketball cards are collected in Germany, France, Asia, Japan, China, Canada, Austrailia and many other countries...

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
That card was 100% shilled...the card is probably worth $10k-$15k at the very best, it was easy to see it was shilled...I mean the same issue Kobe wouldn't even sell for that much and the Jordan would be just above that amount...no way Hardaway is worth anywhere near that...Hardaway does have a loyal fan base in the card collecting community for whatever reason, but it's just not a valid auction whatsoever...

Basketball cards are collected in Germany, France, Asia, Japan, China, Canada, Austrailia and many other countries...

As stated in my post I said I do not know the actual final sale price and what it actually traded hands at, meaning I understood it was not a legit final number. I stated the auction price but hinted that wasn't the actual price, regardless it went for a lot I'm sure in the end

Ryan

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
So I checked the beckett page today and saw an article about some pokemon card which is up for sale at $100k (but usually sells for $20k)

Hopefully the dj card is next.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
So I checked the beckett page today and saw an article about some pokemon card which is up for sale at $100k (but usually sells for $20k)

$100k??????????????? lol!! What the hell is wrong with people lol

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

What is it? A Charizard superfractor of some sorts?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've played and collected Magic for almost 20 years but never got into the other games, so I have only peripheral knowledge, but I do know that Pokemon and Yugioh gaming cards sell for astounding figures sometimes. They produce special editions for particular tournaments, so there's the scarcity factor. For world champions and such they'll produce a single copy of a unique card. These cards have sold for 5 figures, I believe. Magic did the same thing twice back in the 90s. If they were to do the same thing today, who knows what they'd sell for. But it might not even be as much as the other games, which, though they don't have the same number of players, might have even more manic collectors.

Yes, the sportscard hobby might be contracting in terms of total numbers of collectors, but the ones that are left seem to be more intent and willing to spend on getting what they want.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
I remember getting two boxes back in the day and pulling a Tom Glavine /5. This was before ebay was huge, and I was pretty psyched when I sold it for $50 on the old aol boards. I think I even remember the buyer (BigBoyd sports cards or something?), who was someone buying up a lot of really low print # inserts and parallels. They are super rare, and I collect Bronson Arroyo and have never seen one come up for sale in the last decade. I'd say of anything, that's my white whale.

I don't have a retail wrapper, but I'd bet the farm that all parallels were included in retail. I don't believe BC changed odds between retail vs. hobby until sometime in the 2000's. Those are also ridiculously tough pulls as you point out with your calculations, which I think are even far longer than that when you factor in retail product. I opened nearly 100 boxes of 1998 Bowman Chrome II and I only pulled one of Justin Bauman (or at least I think that was his name). All that said, $10K seems pretty excessive, BUT if I'm giving an honest opinion, this makes far more sense than $10K for some Byron Buxton Red Auto Refractor for a long term investment, or whatever ridiculous quantity of cash people are willing to dish out for unproven players.

1998 isn't that far gone from memories. However, as it gets further and further back in time (apply this to all low #'d inserts from 90/00's), I would imagine the value of the harder to come by cards from this era are going to continue to climb in value. Maybe we are starting to see a hint towards this now?

Members online

Latest posts