Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Article written on my Hank Greenberg collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Linking this directly to my blog post here, link to the story at the bottom of the post:

http://theherowhodidntwanttobe.blogspot.com/2014/03/a-great-moment-in-history-of-my.html

Essentially, my buddy Jordan does freelance work for a bunch of different outlets, including the Jewish Daily Forward, one of the more well-known Jewish online and print publications in the United States. He read my blog and was fascinated by my quest, and decided to pitch my story to the editor to see if there would be interest for a story. There was, so we went to a Westchester show in January to base the story off of, and had a great time talking about cards, my collection and Judaism as it stands today with us and other people in our generation.

Hope you enjoy, I think the story is great

LINK TO THE STORY

Thanks guys!

Brian

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Nice write up Zan, I forget how Greenberg has no jersey card thus no patch, button, ect ect card. Being a hof memorbilia collector I have not yet picked anything up of his as a result. I wish I would have went after his bat Knob piece when it was up. He just doesn't have much out there as far as memorabilia cards. Good luck picking up more.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Yeah that bat knob was sick. Do you know how much it went for?

In 2009 he had a bat barrel sell on eBay for $1k. Will probably never see those cards again

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I like the story from the point of view of your quest, but I get tired of articles that go out of their way to stereotype collectors as male, middle-aged and overweight.

I am Roman Catholic and my knowledge of Judaism is limited. Since it is the focus of this article though, along with cardshows, I wondered what would be the "traditional" stance on attending a card show on Shabbat, since most shows are weekend affairs?

Last edited:

refrank

Sep 7, 2012
Nice article! You're right about Greenberg being about the first to go when a dealer breaks a vintage set or collection. One of my interests is vintage Tigers, so I've been stoned hundreds of times on Hanks: "Got the Gehringer, got the Mickey Cochrane, the Greenberg sold right away." Good luck with your collection.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Great seeing this collection growing Brian.

It's been a long time coming and glad to see it still rocking.

greenberg-cut.png

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Excellent article. Glad to see you and Hank get the exposure. Deep updating us on your additions!
DANNY

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Linking this directly to my blog post here, link to the story at the bottom of the post:

http://theherowhodidntwanttobe.blogspot.com/2014/03/a-great-moment-in-history-of-my.html

Essentially, my buddy Jordan does freelance work for a bunch of different outlets, including the Jewish Daily Forward, one of the more well-known Jewish online and print publications in the United States. He read my blog and was fascinated by my quest, and decided to pitch my story to the editor to see if there would be interest for a story. There was, so we went to a Westchester show in January to base the story off of, and had a great time talking about cards, my collection and Judaism as it stands today with us and other people in our generation.

Hope you enjoy, I think the story is great

LINK TO THE STORY

Thanks guys!

Brian
FYI:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Upper-...0804583289?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5afdc4b379
DANNY

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Thanks for all the kind words guys. [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION], unsure of the stance about attending shows on Shabbat though. There are a lot of Jews in the hobby, I can at least attest to that

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Danny, thanks for the link, I've got that one. Definitely one of my favorite bat cards of his!

Members online