Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Any vintage game used experts out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Very cool. If it was issued in 1930, that's a Cardinals World Series championship year, so should get a little more attention.

1930 Team Photo with Orsatti, and uniforms with stitching down middle:

1930Cardinals.jpg

So a young kid is "The Mascot"? Haha

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
What is a SAINZ tag? This is worth far more than I thought.

I did a little research to try to determine your jersey’s value. I know the Cardinals have bought two jerseys that are somewhat comparable to yours. One was a 1929ish Chick Hafey that they paid $6,500 for (http://apr08.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=7866) and the other was a 1931-32 Syl Johnson that they paid $5,500 for (http://www.huntauctions.com/live/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=37&lot_num=522&lot_qual=).

The Hafey is in similar, slightly better condition. It’s missing buttons and has other issues, but the colors remain strong and not faded. And, of course, he’s a Hall of Famer, so the team paid a premium for his shirt. The Johnson is in outstanding condition -- the colors are like new. We speculate the jersey was made for the ‘31 World Series and recycled for the ‘32 season.

On both shirts, the sellers paid the auction houses a commission (likely 20%), so they made $5,200 on the Hafey and $4,400 on the Johnson.

Given that, I’m guessing your shirt is probably worth $3,000-4,000 at auction. Orsatti isn’t a Hall of Famer like Hafey, and the condition is a little rough (faded, loose trim, also appears to be missing a button or two -- anything else I can’t see?). After commission, shipping, etc., if it sold in that range, you’d stand to make around $2,400-3,200.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
SAINZ is one of the four manufacturers of Cardinal jerseys, while Sainz were based in StL these represent a small portion of the game jersey market.
StL tended to recyle uniforms and this likely did some time in the minors since Orsatti was a lesser known player and may not have been privy to keeping uniforms. The condition of this is seems to be a combo of game wear and ill-care by a past owner.

Orsatti played a fair amount in 1929 but was limited in 1930 and recorded 1 At-Bat during the World Series.

Last edited:

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Did you even read the link I posted?

Didn't notice it was a link because my browser didn't make it blue text.

Interesting stuff, thanks for linking it. I kind of want to keep it, but on the other hand I could probably pick up some nice stuff with that money. Maybe a Trout gold refractor

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I kind of want to keep it, but on the other hand I could probably pick up some nice stuff with that money. Maybe a Trout gold refractor

Just reading that made me shudder. Normally I would try to convince someone to keep the jersey, but maybe it's better off in someone else's collection that would appreciate it more for the piece of history it is.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Just reading that made me shudder. Normally I would try to convince someone to keep the jersey, but maybe it's better off in someone else's collection that would appreciate it more for the piece of history it is.

Trust me, if I had any allegiance toward St. Louis, I'd never sell it. If they hadn't beaten the Rangers in 2011, I'd keep it.

I'd rather see it in a Cardinals or vintage game-used collector's hands. They'll appreciate it far more than I would.

In all likelihood, this is what I'd buy:
300px-BabeRuthGoudeycard2.jpg

I think I can get one for $2250-$2500 in 4

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Jim on net54 sold this quickly today. Maybe the buyer is an Orsatti collector.

107) ERNIE ORSATTI 1927 ROOKIE CONTRACT ALSO SIGNED BY BRANCH RICKEY Standard four page St. Louis Cardinals player contract for the 1927 Season measures 8 1/2 x11. Signed on page three by Gas House Gang member Ernie Orsatti and Hall of Famer Branch Rickey. Orsatti played for the Cardinals 1927-35 most notably their World Championship season in 1934. This is his FIRST major league contract. He died in 1968. Branch Rickey as player, manager & innovative executive changed the game of baseball forever he is best remembered for integrating the major leagues by signing Jackie Robinson to play for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947 but he also was the first to sign Roberto Clemente to his first professional contract. Rickey was inducted into the Baseball hall of fame in 1967 two years after his death in 1965. $650.00

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I think you should call about donating it to the Cardinals HOF they are building right now in Ballpark Village. But then again, it's not my 2K that I'm missing out on, haha. But that's what I would do with it. I'd at least see if they had any interest.

Members online