Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

COMC - What a mess!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I know this isn't the first thread about the mess COMC is in but they've got so many cards either categorized wrong, not labeled correctly or even cards where they don't have a players name attached. I know everyone knows this but I didn't know how bad it was until I went through the first like 3,000 Indians cards (note: that are categorized under Indians) and found tons of cards which weren't even of Indian players BUT then saw at least 15 Albert Belle cards which didn't even have his name attached to them... like whoa.

Is there any way to just look through cards which don't have a name attached to them?

I think now is the time to get steals and pick off cards on that site if you can find the diamonds in the rough. I'm just worried about any Albert Belle cards that I might want or need but have no way to find the damn cards if they aren't labeled "Albert Belle" or even the damn team he is shown on ::facepalm::

/rant

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Yea, I was searching cards to compare with what I wanted to send in, now I think I'll just wait for things to get straightened out ......hopefully

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Glad I decided to not send in a bunch of cards.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yea, I was going to do my first submission of stack of cards I think would do well on the site and I'm just going to wait. The more I search on the site today, it just pisses me off and I leave the site.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The good news is that if you get lucky, you could probably pick off a steal or two with the issues they're having because you could find a card which is labeled wrong (set, team, etc.) and not have the players name attached, so it wouldn't even be seen by the active buyers who usually are looking for cards of said player, etc. That is why I'm searching high/low for Albert Belle cards because nearly none have surfaced as "Recently Added" in a long time. Damn site.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Yea, I was going to do my first submission of stack of cards I think would do well on the site and I'm just going to wait. The more I search on the site today, it just pisses me off and I leave the site.

The funny thing is that cards are selling at a decent clip and my balance keeps rising because I really don't see much to flip.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
What I don't understand is that all the catalog games are marked as 100% yet there are so many cards with missing names.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
The crowdsourcing thing they did with entering the first two letters of the first name and first two letters of the last name to categorize the player names really screwed things up. I search for Mark Grace now and get MAtt GReen cards labeled as MArk GRace, plus others.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
What I don't understand is that all the catalog games are marked as 100% yet there are so many cards with missing names.
I don't understand that either. I also don't understand the filter system they have to confirm what we're saying or what people entered in accurate. Hints [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] comments below.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
As if the plot needed to be thickened... Beckett.com took down ALL their player pages with checklists. I've messaged them and they're telling me it's an IT problem but it's odd it's happened in the last week and how they're in this "fight"with COMC over all this type of stuff.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
There are still a lot of cards that have incomplete info with [???] in the title. A tiny bright spot is that if you email them and ask for a correction they'll do it within a couple of days. I recently saw an Olerud parallel and couldn't tell clearly which colour it was. It just said 1996 Leaf [???]. Once I emailed them to ask, they fixed the listing quickly. They don't seem to respond if you use the "Report Error" option for a listing. Of course, this only matters if you just want clarification. For listings that are outright wrong or missing info you can't even find them.

- Rodrick

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Is there a way to just go through all the baseball cards which don't have a name assigned yet? If so, please share.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Given the amount of cards they have, and the progress over the past month, that's a very small %. Almost everything remaining that is missing a name in my account is either a graded card where it's the only one on there, or unusual players. Pretty sure they're under 10% missing names, and maybe even lower than that, which is significantly better than just a few weeks ago.

What's missing now is really not that large a part of their database

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
You can actually search for [missing] and 84,000 baseball cards come up! Wow... what a MESS!

A lot of big dollar cards too. It will be interesting to see what kind of progress they make over the next week to whittle that number down.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL

The challenges have to be assembled in batches, they don't just set the entire database of baseball cards in a single challenge. So for the moment, all of the existing challenge batches have been exhausted. Now they have to have someone go back, process them into the database, and then create new batches of challenges from the remaining unidentified cards. Occasionally you'll see a 100% batch popup back up at 98% or 99% because of cards that did not get a definitive answer among those playing the challenges. So the cards are put back out there until the batch is complete again.

I'm sort of annoyed that they added the "Edit" option to cards, but they don't seem to be processing any of those user-submitted edits. I've got edits for my cards dating back to 4/2/2014 that still haven't been accepted (or rejected). Granted they're for fairly obscure cards, but they are my cards, so I'd hope they might accept that I know how to identify my own cards.

But I am seeing progress. Several of my previously unidentified cards now have numbers and players, where they used to be [missing] or [???]. I'm guessing these were populated through the challenges as my edits are still pending. And I did see some new players become searchable for the first time today as they finally popped up in my RSS feed for saved searches. Try searching for 2015 for the cards that are most unidentified.

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The challenges have to be assembled in batches, they don't just set the entire database of baseball cards in a single challenge. So for the moment, all of the existing challenge batches have been exhausted. Now they have to have someone go back, process them into the database, and then create new batches of challenges from the remaining unidentified cards. Occasionally you'll see a 100% batch popup back up at 98% or 99% because of cards that did not get a definitive answer among those playing the challenges. So the cards are put back out there until the batch is complete again.
#hugemess

Members online

Latest posts