Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Uncreative methods:
- Buy a box for $500 and pray.
- offer togaman/rinkrat $50k.
- Change PC to Ken Caminitti, buy full set for $90
- Time travel to 1998, buy sealed cases and eBay stock.
This is pure gold... although I am not sure $50k will get it done on your second method ;)

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
My 'creative' methods:
- Skimming Tek mixed player lots
- Skimming player lot pics (have found 98tek twice but not a needed pattern)
- 98 Tek team sets
- checking COMC/Sportlots/Beckett daily
- Google searches for obscure card sites & old checklists like mentioned above
- buying dupes to induce additional listings/trade fodder for later.
- list PC card on eBay to attract fellow collector, communicate and ask about Tek

Uncreative methods:
- Buy a box for $500 and pray.
- offer togaman/rinkrat $50k.
- Change PC to Ken Caminitti, buy full set for $90
- Time travel to 1998, buy sealed cases and eBay stock.

This made me LOL. Awesome!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Question for [MENTION=8009]rinkrat38[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2699]togaman[/MENTION] ... have you ever sold a base pattern or two because someone threw out a stupid $ number to complete their own 90 card set and then mental you just said screw it, I'll take the $ and switch seats with the seller and wait for the pattern to show up? For example, someone asked me if I would pay like $20 each for the two patterns I need left... my initial answer was "man, that is a freaking ton per base" but then it got me thinking, would something like that get a set collector to break it up and switch seats with me? Odds are they will spike eventually, so it would be paying to save time essentially.

Just curious what your opinion is. Obviously diffractors are different but just curious on the base.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Question for [MENTION=8009]rinkrat38[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2699]togaman[/MENTION] ... have you ever sold a base pattern or two because someone threw out a stupid $ number to complete their own 90 card set and then mental you just said screw it, I'll take the $ and switch seats with the seller and wait for the pattern to show up? For example, someone asked me if I would pay like $20 each for the two patterns I need left... my initial answer was "man, that is a freaking ton per base" but then it got me thinking, would something like that get a set collector to break it up and switch seats with me? Odds are they will spike eventually, so it would be paying to save time essentially.

Just curious what your opinion is. Obviously diffractors are different but just curious on the base.

I can only answer for me but the answer is NO. I don't hold cards to prevent others from completing their sets like a few oddballs I know who do. People post "I will PAY $XYZ for this specific card" on various trade boards all the time. Whether you are a dealer or an individual collector if your cards are organized in such a way that you can easily find any card in your possession people will help other diehard collectors out of the kindred spirit of suffering set builders. But most will just think they I have that card somewhere but are not going to waste the time and effort looking for something and then take the time to package it up and mail it for a dollar card or find out after they you spent the time looking that you picked up the cards and then didn't bother revising or deleting your post

I've taken cards from my incompleted Master set back in 2002 or 2003 to trade with rinkrat when he had 50-100 cards or go, if my memory serves me correctly, much closer that I was to completing the 8100 card set. It took over a year for me to find a replacement for one of the cards I sent him so I no longer do that. Today If someone offered me $ 20 for a card in my Master set I would not trade it as I have no desire to spend the hours it takes to eventually to find a replacement. IF I have a dupe it is available at high Beckett, more than fair for cards 18 years old..

But if you really want a card then Post up a WANT List and state "I will pay THIS rather than just "I need Card # pattern #s ... Can You Take the Time to Help ME?" to offer incentive to people to go digging to help you. There are those who will go looking just to help another collector. I do it all the time. But perhaps there are others out there who might have your card and is holding back for a higher price to make it worth their while or insist on a diffractor or some other higher valued non-TEK card in return. Then you have collectors like that Jeter collector who said he will only pay $8.00 delivered so like pattern # 4 the card was sold to someone else who quickly bought it without haggling over $.75 and wont have to search for that card.

Everyone has their own way of collecting and their limitations on the dollar amount of what they are willing to pay for a piece of cardboard or acetate to finish a set. To each his own..

The final few cards are often the most difficult ones to find especially if they are commons in an old 18 year old set like 1998 TEK. Someone out there has the card you want.
Well unless it is a Pattern# 49 Diffractor of any of the 90 players in the set

Good luck to all finishing your 98 TEK player sets

Last edited:

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Question for @rinkrat38 or @togaman ... have you ever sold a base pattern or two because someone threw out a stupid $ number to complete their own 90 card set and then mental you just said screw it, I'll take the $ and switch seats with the seller and wait for the pattern to show up? For example, someone asked me if I would pay like $20 each for the two patterns I need left... my initial answer was "man, that is a freaking ton per base" but then it got me thinking, would something like that get a set collector to break it up and switch seats with me? Odds are they will spike eventually, so it would be paying to save time essentially.

I have done something similar to that, but by trading instead. I traded a Thome pattern 89 to a collector working on his 8100 card set. It was the last Thome card he needed, so it was no problem, even though I thought it might be a while before Thome pattern 89 showed up again. I was wrong, the very next Thome pattern I saw on ebay was pattern 89. That's almost as strange as you and this same collector both needing the Belle pattern 2 card. He is 99% finished with his set and you are 98% finished with your set. Combined, that's a lot of years looking for the same card.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have done something similar to that, but by trading instead. I traded a Thome pattern 89 to a collector working on his 8100 card set. It was the last Thome card he needed, so it was no problem, even though I thought it might be a while before Thome pattern 89 showed up again. I was wrong, the very next Thome pattern I saw on ebay was pattern 89. That's almost as strange as you and this same collector both needing the Belle pattern 2 card. He is 99% finished with his set and you are 98% finished with your set. Combined, that's a lot of years looking for the same card.
He also needs it?

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Burnitz card

Nope, still looking!

In spite of your snarky comments a few months ago in which I temporarily put you on IGNORE I went ahead and just sent payment off today with a SASE for a Burnitz card # 48 pattern# 15 on your behalf I'm having to leave for about a month to take care of some personal affairs for my Dad but when I get back in the later part of May or early June the card will be here..

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
In spite of your snarky comments a few months ago in which I temporarily put you on IGNORE I went ahead and just sent payment off today with a SASE for a Burnitz card # 48 pattern# 15 on your behalf I'm having to leave for about a month to take care of some personal affairs for my Dad but when I get back in the later part of May or early June the card will be here..

Synonymscholeric, crabby, cranky, cross, crotchety, fiery, grouchy, grumpy, irascible, peevish, perverse, pettish, petulant, prickly, quick-tempered, raspy, ratty, short-tempered, snappish, snappy, irritable, snippety, snippy, stuffy, testy, waspish

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Then snarky covers a lot of ground Joey....lol
Although there are a few words there.....synonymchoeric, raspy, waspish, and pettish that are new ones to me

Perhaps we should add the word TEKish to the list..

LOL, never seen snarky on here had to look it up:wink:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008

That's big of you, thank you!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Toga, how much $ would it take, honestly, to sell your master set? $100k? Serious question. How much coin to sell it all and walk away?

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Toga, how much $ would it take, honestly, to sell your master set? $100k? Serious question. How much coin to sell it all and walk away?

Im really not interested in selling. Maybe at some point but too much going on now helping with My Dad in Baltimore as he was injured badly in car accident back in late July near his home in Fredericsburg and has gone from being an independent intelligent 84 year old man who drove to the mall to walk a couple miles every day, still mowed his own lawn and took care of himself was to someone who has been recovering from multiple traumatic injuries, lost 45 pounds, cant remember much from his past life, and just moved from Johns Hopkins ICU a few months ago to assisted living. Im going to take care of some of his personal affairs so BB cards are a very very low priority so will be taking a break for a few months. Treasure each day of your lives.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
That's big of you, thank you![/QUOTE

A snarky backhanded thank you. Not sure how to handle that. Some people just never learn

Well I was being sincere. You did not like something I said to you and yet still offered to help my collection. I'd say that it is definitely big of you and offered thanks. I don't recall what I said to offend you but you were on quite the rant there for awhile so I assume it had something to do with your lack of social skills. So I will agree with your last statement that some people never learn. Tone and inflection can not be communicated through type, maybe try not to assume so much. No worries on the Burnitz, I will find one elsewhere that does not require me to suffer your paranoid rants

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Just unreal that this continues.
It's unreal that you even read Togaman's posts, given how you feel about him. Heck, why would you even click on this thread? You could learn something from Togaman's and actually use the "ignore" feature, if you are really that into 98 Teks. For what it's worth, it's post like yours that make me not want come around FCB as much. Luckily you have mods here to edit your posts to make them sound more grown up.
Well I was being sincere. You did not like something I said to you and yet still offered to help my collection. I'd say that it is definitely big of you and offered thanks. I don't recall what I said to offend you but you were on quite the rant there for awhile so I assume it had something to do with your lack of social skills. So I will agree with your last statement that some people never learn. Tone and inflection can not be communicated through type, maybe try not to assume so much. No worries on the Burnitz, I will find one elsewhere that does not require me to suffer your paranoid rants
Maybe you didn't know, but when you say "That's big of you" it's usually intended as a backhanded stab, and certainly does not show sincerity in the least. There are a dozen other things you could have said there instead. Maybe you knew that, though.

Members online

Latest posts