Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector pulls ‘55 Mantle from pack!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Smart to have PSA grade it. By the time BGS would get around to grading it in 2 years, collectors would have forgotten that it was pulled at the 2018 National.

PSA Pimp Daddy now tweeting links to national stories about the card (including the images of the card in his company's PSA holder).

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There's a major problem here and I really hope the breakers don't get heat from this.

The pack was obviously opened live and because of that, every collector now knows the sequence to get a Mantle and Banks which will undoubtedly lead to stampedes of collectors rushing out to their local candy stores and looking through all the 1954 Cello packs on the counter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
There's a major problem here and I really hope the breakers don't get heat from this.

The pack was obviously opened live and because of that, every collector now knows the sequence to get a Mantle and Banks which will undoubtedly lead to stampedes of collectors rushing out to their local candy stores and looking through all the 1954 Cello packs on the counter.

How many 55 Bowman packs could still be around and available that aren't in collections? Or are you being sarcastic, I can't tell.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA

eeab9591661d0f97d03f4c70388ee2aa.gif

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Dec 4, 2008
Truly "pack fresh"! Imagine if they had stuck together...

$500 for a spot in only ONE pack? No thanks...not even for a pack of '52 Topps!

PSA 9/10 singles, even commons, can bring thousands. Frankly $500 is not that unreasonable given the near certainty for high grade. Biggest risk is centering.

Dec 4, 2008
PSA 9/10 singles, even commons, can bring thousands. Frankly $500 is not that unreasonable given the near certainty for high grade. Biggest risk is centering.

Dug this out from the way back machine. I mean, this guy was a utility infielder. I have to imagine 55 Bowman PSA 10s could be in line.

Dear cardboardstars.com,

Congratulations! The following item just sold:

1963 FLEER #65 JIMMY DAVENPORT PSA 10 GEM MINT 1/1
Sale price:$2,750.00
Quantity sold:1
Subtotal:US $2,750.00
Shipping & Handling:
US Postal Service Priority Mail:US $4.00

Insurance:$16.00(optional)
Sales tax:(none)

Details for Item number: 140063217929
Item URL:http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29323...e=0&ver=EOISSA080805&item=140063217929&lk=URL
Sold on:eBay
Sale Date:Saturday, Dec 09, 2006

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
It's an incredible risk to "bet" that 1 card, the single one you paid $500 for, will grade a PSA 9/10. I'm curious to know what the other cards out of that pack were, and what they grade out to be (if they get graded).

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I am a lifelong fan of the 55B set, but I've never looked into unopened material. Always figured it would be nearly impossible to find and ridic expensive when I did. But I couldn't figure out how they had 20 spots for the break. I never even heard of them having cello packs. Learn something new every day.

The other cards:
Rip Repulski
Tom Morgan
Milt Bolling
Jerry Coleman
Steve Gromek
Junior Gilliam
Ernie Banks (2nd year, really nice if centered a bit high)
Marv Grissom
Gus Bell (pulled for ESPN's Darren Rovell)
Johnny Antonelli
Duane Pillette
Paul Giel
Stu Miller
Tom Morgan (again)
Milt Bolling (again)
Jerry Coleman (again)
Steve Gromek (again)
Junior Gilliam (again)
Johnny Podres

The PSA pop report on the set is very tough on anything over 8. At least a couple of these pulled have zero 9s. I don't think most of the ones they pulled would hit that mark, but they're all pretty sharp.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts