Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How did you start playing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aug 13, 2008
Hey all, I thought I would kick this off. I used to collect back in the 90s, but I never found a place to play. Now I have two boys ages 10 and 13 who like to play and I started by playing against them. Now I'm getting into it more and more. Best I've done was in the BOTG Pre-release when I got a very good minotaur deck out of the deal (two Kragma Warcallers and a Ragemonger). I finished in the middle of the pack. I'm now trying to wrap my head around the standard rules and build a good deck.

marhjan

Aug 2, 2010
I started around the time Revised came out. I have so many Ice Age and Alliances cards it's sickening lol. I won a minor DCI tournament at the Woodbridge Holiday Inn sometime in 1994 or 95, but I never got my ranking very high or played in any major events. I sold most of my dual lands MUCH too cheaply (I cringe when I see what they go for these days) and have probably only played about 3 times since 1996 or so. I still pick up accumulations of Magic cards for the right price as they're generally a decent flip - but I always enjoy going through all the commons (most of which are from newer sets I've never really experienced) and thinking up deck ideas before I move them.

Aug 13, 2008
Will do - My oldest boy and I go to the pre-releases, but I buy sets after the fact for the younger one and my wife. Then we have a round robin tourney at home. The funny thing, the youngest (10) is the one who usually can change his strategy to win.

Tell you what, as it gets closer, quote me on two pre-release, one booster and one fat pack to all ship together (I know I'll have to wait a week after pre).

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Will do - My oldest boy and I go to the pre-releases, but I buy sets after the fact for the younger one and my wife. Then we have a round robin tourney at home. The funny thing, the youngest (10) is the one who usually can change his strategy to win.

Tell you what, as it gets closer, quote me on two pre-release, one booster and one fat pack to all ship together (I know I'll have to wait a week after pre).

170 shipped

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I started back in the late 90's. I always collected, especially in the early 90's when it first came out, but reading the rule book as a 10 year old when I was first exposed to MTG and the lack of others to play with and knowledge of the game made it hard. Plus, everyone was into basketball cards and such. I started being able to play when I got to high school as there was a shop down the road from my school. I spent many hours there learning the ins and outs of the game. I could used to build a decent deck. But now with the rules changes and half of the good cards I was used to playing with being banned in tournament play, I'd never crack the surface of being good. I just don't have the time or energy to dedicate to it. The last time I played was almost a decade ago and around the time I figured MTG would start to tank and not be popular anymore. But I've got to hand it to Garfield and WOTC, they sure made a lasting product and one I am still amazed exists today. And I still can't believe how much the cards are still worth. It's like things got better.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I originally started playing way back in the mid 90's. My two best friends were into it and Star Wars card game. So I had my family buy me a bunch of random booster packs and put some terrible decks together. We never ended up playing much, maybe 5-10 times total until we got bored with it and forgot all about it for years. Over the last few years one of the two best friends and I have brought out our old cards and purchased some boosters and stuff here and there to play a few games. Then we put them back in storage where they collect dust for another several years. I like the game, I just have no real clue what I'm doing and like 99% of my cards are old cards that are nothing fancy. I also don't really like playing against random people so going to a game store and playing in a tournament or game night or anything like that isn't going to happen.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
back in 1994/95 my boss gave me the pocket players guide. was quickly addicted, and played casually for the next year or so.
Got tired of the all red decks and the must win immediately mentality.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
back in 1994/95 my boss gave me the pocket players guide. was quickly addicted, and played casually for the next year or so.
Got tired of the all red decks and the must win immediately mentality.

Type 2 goes in cycles. Dont like the format? Bow out for a few months, it will change. Rotation of type 2 is the best idea in the history of card gaming.

Apr 13, 2014
Started collecting Magic cards and playing a tiny bit in the late 90s as a kid. Every now and then I pick up a pack to see what the new themes are. Mostly chess fulfills my strategic side and Diablo 1/2 fulfills the gothic/fantasy violence thing, so I dont play Magic anymore.