Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MONSTER - Josh Johnson/Buehrle/Reyes to TOR For Alvarez/Escobar/Hechavarria/Nicolino/Marisnick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
This is just a crazy trade. Wow. But Marlins fans, wasn't trading Hanley a sign that a fire sale was coming? I just didn't think it would be to all one team :lol: You weren't going to win with the team you had going into 2013...now you can lose much cheaper and improve for the future.

In the big picture, it makes a lot of sense for the Marlins. But because of the stadium ordeal, I think the expectation was to put a winning team on the field NOW rather than 4 years from now. They still had a good core group of players, why not grab a key free agent or two this offseason and see how it goes before completely giving up and sending your entire starting lineup to Canada?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
In the big picture, it makes a lot of sense for the Marlins. But because of the stadium ordeal, I think the expectation was to put a winning team on the field NOW rather than 4 years from now. They still had a good core group of players, why not grab a key free agent or two this offseason and see how it goes before completely giving up and sending your entire starting lineup to Canada?

They were more than one key free agent away from winning, but I get what you are saying.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Its much easier when the guy you will replace him with has a skillset like D'arnaud does. He could hit for average and hit HR's.

The Jays have had too many "can't miss" prospects behind the plate. I would rather wait and see if TDA can truly deliver before trading anyone. The thought is that they will share C/DH duties.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
They were more than one key free agent away from winning, but I get what you are saying.

I think a big part of it was the guys they picked up underachieving. Other than Stanton and Reyes, no one really had a good year for the Marlins.

I also thought it was interesting that those two guys (Reyes, Stanton) were the only two on the entire team who had more than 353 At Bats this season. Hard to win when your lineup changes daily and the guys can never really mesh together and get any momentum going.

If they all play closer to their potential, it's a completely different team who probably wouldn't have been 15 out at the break.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
The Jays have had too many "can't miss" prospects behind the plate. I would rather wait and see if TDA can truly deliver before trading anyone. The thought is that they will share C/DH duties.

Definitely agree with you. I was just pointing out the tools of D'arnaud could be far superior to Arencibia. I've been following D'arnaud since he was drafted and have said from the very start he would be the prospect the phillies would regret losing the most.

emarc27

Oct 6, 2010
NYC-->St. Louis

People definitely wanted to see him say something really stupid. It mud be annoying for him to be constantly baited into saying something you'll later regret. From what I hear, it sounds like he's handling this entire situation well.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Madness. I think the Jays did awesome. Good move getting Escobar out of Toronto just for PR reasons alone.

The eye patch fiasco didn't really have anything to do with it. He was being shopped around before the AS break. You can't really complain whenever you can pick up some Allstar players for mostly prospects and some ok ml'ers.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Great line from an article detailing Loria's defense of the trade:

Radio talk show host Jeff DeForrest fielded calls from irate listeners shortly after news of the trade broke Tuesday.
"The next move obviously is to have Fidel Castro throw out the first pitch next year," DeForrest said. "That's the only way they could alienate the fans more than they have."

Members online