Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1975 Topps Baseball Cello Unopened Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
Two weeks left on it and it is already at $53,000? A chance for alot of off-centered cards that doesn't have a card in the set worth $50, unless you pull a "10" in one of those cards, I just don't see the value there when and if this sells for $75,000 or more.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
JEBJJA, I agree. In a perfect collation world, you would get 9.8 complete sets with this case. Graded Cellos with stars showing might bring some money but not enough to justify $53K. I don't necessarily believe that something should be more valuable due to the scarcity of the item being unopened and the contents not viewable.

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
Vintage unopened has a very strong market and prices have been increasing at double digit rates year over year. Right now the auction is sitting at close to market value if you sold them as individual box when you include the buyers premium. Being in a still sealed case adds a premium too. Whomever buys this will make good money on it if they sit on it 12-24 months. Heck even if you make 10% in 12 months that's a nice return on an investment of this amount. I would be interested in the opinion of [MENTION=2455]Bill Menard[/MENTION] on this one as he keeps an eye on vintage unopened as well.

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
This is a commodity in itself more than a container of commodities. If I had Sergey Brin money, I'd rip it and smile. It certainly would be amazing to rip, especially for someone like me for whom 1975 Topps holds a very special place.

I can't imagine what you'd need to get for a profitable, or even just a non-bloodbath return on investment if you did so, though. Currently at $53K, with 6480 cards in the case, you're already in for over $8 per every single card. With most PSA 8s selling for less than that, and many 9s not too far over that, you'd have to get a significant amount of 10s and low-pop 9s. And that's before even considering grading fees. Nope, this is going to sit in a vault somewhere for years, just like it has been.

Just noticed the name on the address label is Larry Fritsch. Man, he picked a winner there.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Larry fritsch I believe still has sealed boxes and packs of this and other vintage cards bought from topps at release.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
There were a bunch of 75 Topps wax boxes and cases that hit the auction block after Fritsch's passing a few years back IIRC. Robert Edward Auction had a bunch from them as well as from the Conlon collection.

Edit - guess I got beaten to the punch by the rest of the board.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
This is about the product itself being in an original factory sealed case. I get the big ticket on it. Great item. I would guess it is extremely rare at this point in time to find something like this.

bcubs is right on - this should have a very nice premium over the cost of buying the boxes - which by themselves carry a premium over buying say a loose cello pack from a box of this product.

PLUS, and this can't be understated enough - there is proof it is direct from Topps to Fritsch and never seen the light of day and undoubtedly has been properly stored over the past 38 years.

I too would guess it goes right back into storage. I just don't think you open something like this, but then again, there are people who collect and live in a whole nother stratosphere when it comes to the meaning of money to them than it does to me and this could just be a fun drop in the bucket for someone to see what kind of great goodies lie within the box and get the chance to open it all themselves.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
Before I clicked on the auction, I figured the box would be in better shape. I know it's 3 years older than I am, but the stains on the outside were kinda surprising. Also, it says that it's intact with all factory seals, but if you look at the wire things holding the box top open, there are small holes next to each one, which to me suggests a different way of sealing the box than was originally there. Maybe there's an explanation, but it just looks different than I expected. Of course, I'll not be bidding on it regardless!

GUCD231

Apr 21, 2009
DEER PARK,NY
I would venture to say the additional marks on each side are from what ever device originally stapled the box shut.I do agree that at 38 yrs old that box has come across some ups and downs.

Before I clicked on the auction, I figured the box would be in better shape. I know it's 3 years older than I am, but the stains on the outside were kinda surprising. Also, it says that it's intact with all factory seals, but if you look at the wire things holding the box top open, there are small holes next to each one, which to me suggests a different way of sealing the box than was originally there. Maybe there's an explanation, but it just looks different than I expected. Of course, I'll not be bidding on it regardless!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
That's pretty crazy. I think the "value" is not in the actual cards inside but in the entire piece itself being together. At this point it's like an artifact with it all being together. I mean, how many of these could be out there?

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
People have to remember, this is not just 53k, its 19.5% above that for the buyers premium.
Im 99% sure the "current bid" does not include this buyers premium, so this auction is currently at $63,862 with buyers premium. Dont forget shipping, as the buyer, that will be on you too.
You are at about $10 per card now...................

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
People have to remember, this is not just 53k, its 19.5% above that for the buyers premium.
Im 99% sure the "current bid" does not include this buyers premium, so this auction is currently at $63,862 with buyers premium. Dont forget shipping, as the buyer, that will be on you too.
You are at about $10 per card now...................

Good point.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

WaxPax

You are correct, the device was an over-sized "Staple Gun" of sorts , and was commonly used to seal all sort of cartons back in the day. I had been a shipping & receiving clerk back in the early 80's as one of my first jobs and we used just such a device to seal cartons.....

I would venture to say the additional marks on each side are from what ever device originally stapled the box shut.I do agree that at 38 yrs old that box has come across some ups and downs.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
You guys gotta kill the quick-flip mentality. This is an ultra scarce item that will surely increase in value OVER TIME. Awesome!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
The whole is definitely worth more than the sum of its parts. Some day, some where, someone will be left holding the last of the unopened '75 wax. Not '87 though

Which reminds me off topic that as a kid I always wondered why a full set "booked" for less than the sum the cards added up to

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
If I had $65K to randomly spend on cards I would buy this in a heart beat. The '75 Topps set is one of the greatest of all-time considering the overall checklist, rookie checklist, design, and condition sensitivity.

Crazy thought. In 1975 this case cost $90. In 2013 this case cost at least $63,594.79

Members online

Latest posts