Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Josh Hamilton - Angels parting ways

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I read he was going back to the Rangers.

Why, why, why?

5:25pm: Shin-Soo Choo is not involved in the prospective trade, Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times tweets. He had at least appeared to be a plausible piece to be included in a deal given his huge salary and rather pronounced struggles.
5:04pm: The Rangers are nearing a trade to acquire Josh Hamilton, T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports on Twitter. There is still plenty of “legal work” remaining before the deal can be finalized, but Sullivan says an announcement could come Monday.

I am not sure how this is going to be received here.

Last edited:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
What I don't understand is why the Rangers would do this, unless LAA is paying almost all of the rest of the deal...

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
How would this be much more than a salary dump?

Yep. Just tweeted from the Angels' beat writer --

Alden Gonzalez @Alden_Gonzalez
Not sure if this has been reported elsewhere, but the #Angels aren't getting any players back from the #Rangers.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I told a guy this morning at work. If the Angels dump Hamilton most likely it would be to the Rangers. And now I see this 8 hours later :lol:

I'm not suprised they are not getting anything back either.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm not suprised they are not getting anything back either.
Not only are the Angels getting nothing in return, but ESPN is reporting the Angels are also paying all but $15 million of the $83 million owed to Hamilton for the next three years.

So the Rangers get Hamilton for $5 million a year.
And the Angels are paying Hamilton $23 million a year to play for their division rival.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Not only are the Angels getting nothing in return, but ESPN is reporting the Angels are also paying all but $15 million of the $83 million owed to Hamilton for the next three years.

And the Angels are paying Hamilton $23 million a year to play for their division rival.

I'm a lil surprised that there wasn't a better financial option the Angels could have taken. Moving on is one thing but that's quite a beating to take. And as you mentioned , it's in the division , ouch.

Ryan

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008

I say the Angels won't have to take a hit because the deal is not going to happen. Why would the MLBPA sign off on it to make Hamilton a precedent for taking a salary cut?

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I say the Angels won't have to take a hit because the deal is not going to happen. Why would the MLBPA sign off on it to make Hamilton a precedent for taking a salary cut?

He's not taking a Salary cut, it's just that the Angels are the team actually paying most of his Contract, not the team he's actually with.

He still gets his Full Contract amount, that's part of what LAA is so ticked off by...

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
MLB and the MLBPA approved the deal today. Hamilton is officially a Ranger.

The Angels getting $15 million of the $83 million owed to him is better than releasing him and having to pay all $83 million minus the league minimum if another team signs him. Also, Texas has no state tax so the hang up was the Halos negotiating with Josh to get back some money since he won't have to pay state taxes in Texas.

While he didn't perform in Anaheim, he gets another chance in Texas. I hope he fails miserably in Texas (speaking as a Halos fan).

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
MLB and the MLBPA approved the deal today. Hamilton is officially a Ranger.

wow, the union is getting weaker! ;)

Probably won't be hard for teams to try to find ways to minimize money owed from players now that there is a precedent.