Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Awesome Luis Tiant pickup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
I usually don't post any of my pickups but it is rare that a Luis Tiant card pops up that I need. Well, excluding the ridiculously priced BINs that have been sitting on Ebay forever. ;)

This particular pickup is actually 4 cards (previously stuck stickers) that I have been looking for forever. I think that I have seen this once maybe twice and if I remember correctly it was listed as a BIN now at well over $100.

So the other day a seller from Venezuela lists all four for $30 or Best Offer. I was just getting ready to hit the BIN and thought why not try to go lower so I offered $20. After the offer I thought to myself "What the hell am I doing!" so I went back to just hit the BIN and the buyer had already accepted my offer.

So...for $20, or $5 per sticker, I now have one of my favorite pieces in my Luis Tiant collection.

scan0403_zpsa21f5c16.jpg

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
Thanks guys!

Great pickup and price. What's the deal with this set? Other MLBers included?

Also, is that a 1981 Topps John Tudor RC in your avatar? ;)

I believe they are Winter League stickers that were issued through out the 70's, I think that these Tiants are 1972. The sets are loaded with stars but hard to find and sometimes pretty expensive. There is a Jim Rice in the 1973 set that is very rare and pricey. [MENTION=2802]klute14[/MENTION] might have a copy but the one or two I have seen went for a few hundred dollars.
There are some reprints out there because I have a Rice. It is mint and unpeeled so I am pretty sure it is not original.

It is John Tudor. :D That is the card on the top of my first ever pack. It is pretty beat up.

EDIT - After checking Ebay it looks like there are some stars for some pretty reasonable prices and there are some really expensive rare ones.

Last edited:

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Love the rare hard to find stuff. Feels good picking up something so different than the mainstream.

Loved Tiant too as a player. I did pull a 2013 Archives on card auto of Tiant last year.

Fordman

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Awesome! Cool pick-up and congrats on a rare PC find! I too have taken that mindset before where a really rare item has come up and I think why not save 10% off the BIN and someone snags it before I have time to reconsider my stupid offer :lol:, glad it worked out for you though

Members online

Latest posts